Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They saw you coming I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah 15,000 out of a Bz4x doesn't seem great, but 15,000km out of a Yaris is shocking!! My mother had a Yaris and was getting about 40,000-50,000km out of a set of tyres!!

@vimalandrew Get yourself a tyre thread depth gauge https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=tyre+tread+depth+gauge&crid=1RV7I748PKUJU&sprefix=tyre+thread%2Caps%2C74&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_10 and only change the tyres when when you know they need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Sounds to me like the dealer recommended changing tyres and Andrew unwisely said yes. It's highly likely the tyres didn't need changing. Main dealers are notorious for upselling on items like tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Usually you get good mileage out of the first set of tyres on a new car.

15k sounds very poor from tyres supplied by the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yermanthere

Well tyres in general , are wearing faster than they used to. Compound has been changed in past 5 years or so to improve braking distance and emergency manoeuvre in euro ncap tests. So tyres are more sticky and wear faster now.

I used to get 40-50 out of tyres, I'm a sympathetic driver. New Skoda Octavia needed two front tyres at 24,000 km. I was surprised.

But I think bz wears tyres the same as any other EV. It does sound like you got a dealer answer to a question tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

I think tyres were Bridgestone when I bought bz4x. My friends saw it before servicing and said tyres need replacement. As I said, I do deliveries, lots of breaking, stopping, starting, that might caused this. I have now Firrelly tyres in front. End of December, I am going for second service.

There is no need to blame dealer. Especially toyota dealers are excellent and kind. Toyota's profits have doubled their expectations. Their service and dealings are great.

It seems like you have money burning holes in your pockets, and you are only too glad to hand loads of it over to Toyota....

15,000km out of a set of tyres on an SUV is fairly shocking in my opinion... in a Yaris it's even worse....

I haven't given any money to toyota. Dealer said tyres will be available only next day, so I did them from outside in both yaris and bz4x. In both cases service was free.

How are all the other bz4x owners getting on with milage v tyre wear?

You will almost always get better value buying your tyres from a tyre dealer rather than a car dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Local tyre fitter looks after A Post delivery vans - says they are v lucky to see 15,000km from a set. Stop start delivery driving is v different to driving main roads all day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭eagerv

Modern Bridgestone tyres appear to have very poor wear, perhaps due to that they don't give you as much thread in the first place..

Some owners of the ID.3 here got very poor wear from Bridgestones, iirc about 15k for driving wheels. I had Goodyears on mine which were still fine after 27k of not too gentle use when I sold car.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yermanthere

2023 bz4x has Yokohama tyres. I had those on a pajero years ago and they lasted forever. Then distributor for Ireland went bust and Yokohama weren't available on Irish market for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think tyres were Bridgestone when I bought bz4x.

As eagerv mentioned above, some Bridgestones are very poor in terms of mileage. It was pot luck as to what tyres you got with the ID.3 and I got the short straw. My Bridgestones were beyond legal at 15k km's and I wasn't treating them badly.

I've got Goodyears since and they are significantly better. It wasn't me, the roads, the car... it was simply the tyres..... they only had something like 6.5mm to begin with so you hit legal limit quickly.

So this is the reason why I has to change tyres at 15k. Instant torque

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Mother of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The VW figures show that, over the first four years of service, an EV model will go through 2.6 tyres, while a combustion car will go through 2.2 tyres. 

Quite a bit of "spin" to infer that this level of difference will out weigh all other cost benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭micks_address

i had to change tyres on my id4 way to early.. the tracking was off so the tyres wore uneven and they were deemed unsafe.. have heard this from a few people on the id4 thread so its obviously not just bad luck. Even with 2 tyres on a service pack it still cost a fair what to change them. Its something im paying a lot more attention to going forward for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

What type of mileage did you have on them prior to the change ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Is the type of driving not a factor. For example if the majority of your mileage is motorway cruising, you might have low tire wear for the mileage. Compared to say something that does the same mileage in a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭micks_address

About 26k km which might sound ok but I'm around motorways mostly and they had plenty of thread left. Could have got closer to 35k easily

I think it's definitely a factor.

I wonder has anyone done a proper head to head test ?

Same pattern of driving, same make and size of tyres.

One in ICE the other in EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭josip

I see the 500kg heavier bandied about a lot without any examples. Often put out by people with an anti-EV bias, either intentional or unintentional.

A Kia Niro EV weighs in at 1757 kg. Would a Sportage be the equivalent ICE? A 2.0 diesel weighs 1758kg.

So I'm not seeing half a ton heavier versus the equivalent ICE claimed by the article.

I think driving style is the biggest factor. Going by some of the questions being asked on the various fora, I think there are people driving EVs who have very limited experience of driving or never learned to drive properly. From that article, it would seem that many of them treat the accelerator as some sort of go pedal simply to be floored every time. Maybe in ICEs these would have been the same people who would ride the clutch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have instant today with 500bhp in my EV. My tyres lasted 40,034km.

Did that article measure your thread depth and determine new tyres were needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Hi @vimalandrew how you getting on with the BZ what’s the Pros and Cons and how you finding the range in the cooler temps ? Thanks.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Instant torque here too (though not as much as yours)... current rear tyres (RWD) are on 31,000km and will be changed shortly, but in fairness my car is 66kg lighter that the BZ4x's 1750kg....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Our Ioniq 5 is nearing 19km now and the tyres still have plenty of depth. My guess is the dealership have advised the tyres be changed a little to early on Vim but we all know at this stage he'll swallow what the dealer says hook, line and sinker.

My bz4x is very good. After software update, I could see the range is good and is now like any other EV. Some people say about toyota land cruiser that after 20 years car will be intact. I think this is the same with any toyota car.

But I won't recommend anybody to buy this because it is expensive 50k. It is typical in shape. Looks similar to a lamborgjini urus, it's side and back. So everyone seeing my car says it'd beautiful.

I would recommend people to buy a Chinese one -mg4 or byd atto3. They are available 10k less than these branded ones. Also I could see toyota is using a Chinese proxy- NIO so that they are going to make EVs with solid state batteries. So I hope by next year EVs with Sse batteries are going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A lot of EVs are shipped with eco tyres that have low rolling resistance which means poor grip. Losing traction will reduce the lifespan of a tyre. Some eco tyres aren't even coming with 8mm from the factory and some EVs are on narrow tyres. I think weight is worth mentioning as something like my Born is going to be harder on tyres than my Golf as it's 400kg heavier, it's also on 215 tyres whereas the Golf was on 225 so the tyres have a harder life. Plus they're crap tyres which struggle with grip more than any other standard tyre I've driven, they aren't up to the task of the weight of the car, at least not in 215 width.

You don't see bigger cars like the A6 or 520d coming on 215 budget tyres, an EV should be no different and the cheap tyres being put on a lot of cars are leading to premature wear as they dont belong on heavy vehicles or EVs.

Advertisement