Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks - Croke Pk Sept 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sheeran gets to bring it all around Europe though, Garth can't play anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

Yep. There is zero demand for him in Europe or the UK.

It's America and here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

I disagree, even one person from the stands with a standing ticket is one too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

If it was as dangerous as you suggest, it wouldn't be so easy to simply walk onto the pitch!

Not much of a defence there to be honest. Seating tickets are for seating areas, standing are for standing. Simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So went on Saturday with brother and his wife. Wouldn't be the biggest fan but have nothing against the man. Now, we had pretty good seats. Lower hogan. And even there I thought the sound wasn't great. Can't blame Croker for that. There was no obstruction. I just thought the vocal audio was a little muffled. Especially when talking. Music audio was fine.

As for the show, he does put on a polished show alright. The crowd were pretty good (although I have been at better in ireland and elsewhere). Was surprised by how many covers he played but he played them well. The Queen medley was good and I do like that Lady GaGa song.

There was a girl behind me who was singing quite loud and who simply could not carry a note in a bucket but that's fine. All part of the fun. And I'm an even worse singer. Didn't see any messing (I know there were report but there are always some). Someone at Drumcondra station seemed to be in distress but was getting the help they needed and some guy tried to barrel his way for him and his wife into the queue for the train right in front us. Sent them satisfyingly back back back (looking back I could see them getting pushed back at each attempt. Was pleasant).

The important thing is that my brother and his wife really enjoyed themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't know about that. We hosted a German woman who had flown over for it and said there were at least 20 other concert folk on her plane. Her husband would have come if he was not afraid of flying. I would say he could easily play a night in Europe somewhere and they would come. He might not make money out of it, but that never stopped some other acts doing a gig for the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Had a great great time at this.

Traffic was chaotic. As a native Kildare man I havent been to croker since the haydays of the late 90's early 00's for Kildare GAA. It wasnt like that then.

All disabled spots taken, ended up getting a spot on one of the local housing estates, a 20 minute walk for a normal person but when you're bringing someone with verticality issues (dysautonomia) it takes double that. 2 hours of traffic getting from Whitworth Road to the M50 but none of that mattered. Childhood dreams come true to see Garth in concert for the two of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I am surprised that there isn't a stipulation in the planning conditions for events at Croker (this and big matches) that there aren't more portaloos available on access routes around the venue - it's totally unfair that the local residents have to deal with the fallout before/after these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

He done European dates on his first tour. He got absolutely slaughtered by the press, especially in the UK. One publication even called him, "Garth Vader"

He has done none since. He ain't going back. Especially if he's not going to make money out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was replying to a comment that it's be too tough to move a stage around from Dublin, Cork, Galway etc, not Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Think Australia is another country he said he felt very welcomed in but that be a long haul and logistical high costs with touring there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Zardoz

No bother to transport Brooks stage around Ireland, its not big by modern terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You have got to be spoofing. You were at a concert last weekend in Croke Park. Then put up the message on 12 Sept. about getting lost around Croke Park and couldn't find your away into the city, even though you had 80,000 to ask. And many guards and security.

Then you went back a week later, and the same thing happened. Lost again.

Serious question - what age are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Ha was wondering that myself, if they were walking in circles around the stadium they must have been walking against the flow of the crowd for at least half the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tbf Croke Park is an easy enough walk to/from O Connell Street

Just look for the spire if you get lost

Tbf, once you get past the row of gardai and stewards forming a human barrier, and you turn onto clonliffe road following the 15x15 foot neon sign telling you which way the city centre is, past the auld triangle you're completely on your own except for the 40,000 people going the same way......

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭glitterIsland

I'm not familiar with the streets around croke park. Getting there was fine but coming out from there not so much. Sat night was much better than the week before that though. I was fairly horrified at seeing the stadium after 15 minutes of walking. After 15 minutes of not knowing where I was going, I asked a garda and he led me the right way and I made some progress. I can't see the spire at night time. Once I found China Town, I think I knew where I was then and going in the right direction. I'm not from Dublin so I am clueless about the streets of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I was there Sunday night 11th, I found sound when he spoke very muffled, could understand very little BUT there was 3 of us there, one is a little hard of hearing to be fair, I have excellent hearing but yet couldn't make out the words and 3rd person was literally acting as translator and relaying it all to us as they could understand and hear him perfectly! Was saying to someone else who told me it's often about frequencies and that some people hear better different frequencies than others, don't know the explanation but two of us were listening to exact same thing and I couldn't catch the words at all.

Was also there last Friday night and it was crystal clear to me what he was saying so whether position matters, both times I was in lower Cusack stand but a block apart so unless speaker was better positioned nearer to me or just working better I don't know the answer.

• Advertisement

The stadium led me out one way and down a street. I followed the signs and the people too and google maps was leading me down different streets so I wasn't following the directions from Google entirely. I was following people a lot of the way and hoping for the best but Google was telling me something else too.

Google Maps and directions can be hit and miss. Google helped me and my driver out of the airport before and led us in circles around ballymun for ages and after a while we were like - 'we passed that petrol station twice'. Google is hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I looked at the route out from stadium back to bus park online before I ever went, where I had to make turns I went into the streetscape and checked for something identifying to remember which worked nicely as I knew to turn left when I came to the building with the rounded front but there was a sign anyway telling me go left so all good!

I often find trying to google while you are on the go very hit and miss, for something pre planned I prefer to have a look before I go to familiarise myself with where I may need to go. I don't know those streets at all so would prefer to be prepared.

Did same for trip earlier in the day where I had to catch a train to Kildare and get a lift then from Kildare Village, quick look online over maps before leaving and know to turn at Paddy Power! Much easier than trying to figure it out when there.

Not much good as advice but for next time! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Garth Brooks has some great music on his older cds. I'm not familiar with his new music. I have loads of favourites from his older music. One of my many favourites is 'Alabama clay'. I love it. I love 'that summer' too and I was delighted to hear it in concert.

I cannot get enough of the live version of 'friends in low places'. There's a video online from the weekend and it sends everyone into an absolute frenzy. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah that stage would be easy to transport, it wasnt an elaborate stage compared to what some big acts do. A U2 stage has a lot more parts to it than the stage Brooks had. Roger Waters' show here had an airplane fly the length of Lansdowne Road and then crash into a giant wall on his stage. Stuff like that is much harder to transport yet they do it.

On the sound someone back up the thread said they cant blame Croke Park for the bad sound. Id disagree and think it is well past the time that Croke Park and Lansdowne should have invested in their sound given that they make very good money hiring themselves out as concert venues. Sound in football stadiums for concerts is a known problem because they were never designed for music and also because sound rebounds off everything inside a stadium unlike a large field or park where it is linear.

Ive a mate who works as a water engineer at Wembley and after opening the renovated stadium the stadium management had thousands of complaints when Fleetwood Mac and Adele played there. People in the stands couldnt hear properly because the sound was coming from the stage and mid pitch but then bouncing around everywhere at all angles before eventually hitting peoples ears- this is what creates muffling. So they went back to the drawing board and installed a sound system suspended by wires from the roof of the stadium all the way around it. They also have speakers specifically aimed at the lower tiers. The end result was the sound is identical in the entire stadium no matter where you are. It cost them a few million but they had to do it or they would have risked big acts not playing there if Wembley got a reputation for sh1t sound. The artists themselves deserve good sound, its up to sports stadiums who act as concert venues to provide it. That hasnt been happening at Croker or Lansdowne since both those venues were renovated yet the concerts just gone was a bonanza for the GAA and Lansdowne has similar. Least they could do is invest in the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Were too irish to figure all that out

Sure look at the design of the 3Arena,' Mike Adamson (CEO of Live Nation Ireland) claimed that Irish fans had been short-changed when attending major events in the previous venue due to size restrictions. "It wasn't always possible to get every show touring in Europe into the venue because of restrictions. It is now. Some shows couldn't fit'. Were still missing out on stuff because of the design

That hasnt been happening at Croker or Lansdowne since both those venues were renovated yet the concerts just gone was a bonanza for the GAA and Lansdowne has similar. Least they could do is invest in the sound.

They are a business with a monopoly who in the majority of years run a max of 3 gigs as a side hustle, they're not going to invest in concert sound when they're the only 2 venues with their capacity in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Went on Sat night, we were high up in Cusack - perhaps lost a bit of atmosphere but on the plus side we had a great birds eye view of the whole spectacle. Thoroughly enjoyed the show, as a huge Queen fan I loved the medley bit and was generally impressed with GB's energy and the fact his singing ability is unchanged as he moves into his 60s. Hope to see him back here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Fanirish

I’d say why certain tours are not visiting 3 arena is not due to size restrictions of the stage. More about Irish promoters not willing to risk a certain act in the 3 arena. They have to be very confident that they act can do the numbers

Advertisement