Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouth guards for sleeping - general oral care

Options
  • 18-11-2021 6:45pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was told I should have one of these and sure enough the dentists fitted me for one. Wore it for a few days but didn't think I needed it because I didn't think I would grind my teeth in me sleep. Fell out of the habit of using it.

Fast forward nearly 2 years and back at the dentist. Different dentist from the same clinic asked have I been using it. Said no. She then showed me some of the gum issues I may be causing from now using and grinding my teeth. Had no clue grinding your teeth would irreversibly damage you gums.

Aside from that all else was well, just got a good cleaning.

Anyone else supposed to wear one? What's your experience with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I broke a cap off my front tooth recently, and couldn't get an appointment with my regular dentist. Had to go to one I stopped going to years ago to get it fixed. Anyway, as soon as I opened my mouth, the first thing he asked me if I grinded my teeth in my sleep. I said no (I didn't think I did), and he just kind of went "hmmm" and set about fixing the tooth. I never thought to ask him about it after, because he spent a lot of time giving out to me for making an appointment with him when I'm not a regular patient (I didn't bother arguing against the stupidity of this).

I've had gum trouble in the past, but have been keeping on top of it the past couple of years with diligent cleaning and regular trips to the hygienist. Neither she or my regular dentist have ever mentioned anything about teeth grinding, but I'm going to bring it up with her at my next appointment (which I couldn't get until January, because things just seem to me mental with dentists at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

I was going to the same dentist twice a year for ten years, every time I left after getting a check up and a clean they said I have a great set off teeth. I have always spit a lot of blood during brushing so the missus told me to get a second opinion, so I did. The prognosis was that I had severe gum disease and I needed an Implant as one of my front teeth was dead due to a bang I got to it as a kid.

I was advised to wear a mouth guard after the implant which I have been doing, I thought I would have a problem adjusting to it, which I did at the start but I am just used to it now. It has worn down a good bit since I've been using it so I should need a replacement shortly, I could only imagine what it was doing to my teeth without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm not a qualified dentist, but I'd imagine that asking someone what they do while they are asleep is not the most robust way of determining same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wear one...made by my dentists lab guy.

the guard is about 10 months old but already there is a reasonable amount of wear... I’ll need a replacement soon...

spent too much money getting them fixed to not follow his advice.. so I 100% of the time wear one.

its weird for the first few nights, but haven’t thought about it for months, you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As it happens my dentist told me about grinding my teeth in my sleep too so i've been wearing a mouth guard ever since. I've been wearing it for a about a year now. I went back for another check up a few months back and she just told me about rubbing some toothpaste in the mouth gaurd before I go bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Been wearing one a few years. Teeth to be sore if I forget to bring it with me when going away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I got one about a year ago, since my upper front teeth need some support and there's been a bit of grinding. I got a bridge after a bike crash years ago, which is supported by one tooth that's wobbly and one tooth that's dead (root canal). I remember to wear it about half the time, and it does seem to help the wobbly tooth to stabilise. I've had to take sandpaper to it to smooth some edges that can cause irritation.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Supposed to wear one but I don't because if I wear it I can't close my mouth properly. This forces me to breath through my mouth and I sleep breathing though my nose, so it bothers me. Also they get pretty manky looking, I tried a bunch of stuff but was never able to get it properly clean.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I was told to use a dentures cleaner. Something like this one:

Drop it in a cup of hot water for a few mins. Rinse off and you're good for a few days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement