If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG OLED burn issue

Options
  • 18-11-2021 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

I bought an LG OLED 3 years ago and in the last few months I am seeing signs of what I think is burn in. There is a light green line where the Sky Q ff/rewind bar appears. I have run the pixel refresher a few times but it hasn't fixed the issue. It is only visible with lighter backgrounds but gets quite annoying when is there. Do you know if there is any fix other than the refresher which I could try.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭beachhead

Would like to hear any solutions on this

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for the post cracker and I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your TV.

Unfortunately burn in isn't covered under warranty and there isn't a separate pixel refresher aside from the one that's in the settings menu. You could try giving LG a call to see if they know of any solutions but unfortunately they won't cover screen burn under warranty. The number for ROI customers is below but let me know how you get on with them if they know of any additional settings that can be run:

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

I rang the LG support line and because it is out of warranty they weren’t much help. They directed me to a local repair company who have quoted about 1800 euro to replace the panel.

So I am wondering since burn is not covered by any of the standard warranty’s is it a more common problem than is suggested by the manufacturers. It seems clear that my issue was caused by using FF/RWD on the Sky Q box which is not really something that I would classify as abnormal usage. If I decide to purchase a new set I am unsure whether I should go for another OLED because this will just happen again in a few years.

Hi cracker,

Thanks for getting back to us! Just going on my own experience it's not actually something I've seen come back very often. The OLEDs are the most popular panels we sell and we rarely get people back with burn in issues. I have an OLED myself and have used it for just over two years with no issues.

LED and QLED panels can't suffer from screen burn due to the panel technology but the OLEDs are a bit like the old plasmas, they give the best picture but just need a bit more care with static images.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

I can see the same issue described in this post on the sky help form. One of the images on page 1 shows exactly the problem I have and others on page 5 report the same problem. So it seems to me that the Sky Q interface has a particular problem.

This would make me nervous about buying another OLED TV if Sky Q is one of my main content providers. I was thinking of the LG OLED65G as my next purchase. Could you recommend a good LED alternative to this? I know I would not get all the benefits of OLED but I think I’d be happy to sacrifice a small reduction in contrast quality for peace of mind that it will last longer than 2 or 3 years.

• Advertisement

I'll have a bit more of a read into this for you cracker to see if it's more common on the SkyQ box than other sources.

I would recommend the Sonys as really good LED TVs. They still won't come close to the OLEDs for picture but they do have very good motion rates and very good contrast for an LED panel. You could look at the KD55X89 which is a great TV! There's also the Samsung QE55QN94A which is one of the top of the line QLEDs:

Kind regards

David

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

@cracker

I’m closing this thread as you’ve opened up a new thread to discuss with RS.

Cheers,

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.