Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLERICAL OFFICER 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CMH1967

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CMH1967

I'll take any advice or tips too if you want to share it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Enright3197

Hi guys, anyone have an update on where they are interview wise with Wexford? Thanks in advance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BoxyLepa

OOM 153 in Cork at the moment, Stage 2 - Interview as vacancies arise.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

This is the advice I was given on the 2020 panel, and I got a job out of it :-)

If you Google "star" interview responses you might find that helpful.

A lot of the websites give sample questions.

Sit down with a pen and paper and have two answers for each questions, learn them and have them ready to roll off your tongue.

An example interview question might be Give us an example that you improved your workplace. Or give us an example of a project you undertook.

If you were to just say "I revamped our website" that wouldn't be what they're looking for.

If you applied the star format it'd be something like

Situation: I recognised the requirement for our website to be updated when customers commented about lack of information and volume of calls increased.

Task: I undertook to renew the website, got quotes, sourced samples, hired media company.

Action: Be able to speak about going live with the job (website) and what was involved.

Result: Be able to speak about positive benefits of your task (new website) eg lesser volume of calls, easier to navigate, increase in online sales.

They won't ask personal questions like are you married, they can't by law.

They might ask something like Tell us about a time you didn't get on with a colleague or Tell us about a time you disagreed with your supervisors decision.

Another question might be tell us about a customer complaint.

Just write out the answers in Star format and remember them well.

They might also ask you questions to get an understanding of how computer literate you are.

Have some answers / situations ready to show that you can create a word document to type letters. Create a folder. Create and use a spreadsheet.Create emails and attach documents.

Have a practise with someone for your online interview.

Check internet speed / microphone etc.

It can be hard to not lean into the monitor.

And try to look at the camera rather than the screen.

Don't fidget with a pen or paper, if you were sitting in an interview room you wouldn't do that.

Although I imagine they take that into consideration.

The interview only lasts about 20 mins to half hour and it goes by very quickly.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 megger

Anyone that’s been through clearance do they ask for record of sick leave from current employer? Just got word I passed interview but I’ve had sick leave over past two years due to hip surgery so don’t want it to effect anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WHIreland

Yep they do, your employer has to write down all days and if they were certified or not, you will then be asked to comment on such.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cat1212

not sure if that has been asked, put have just found out I have passed my interview. Over the moon....what is the next stage and how long were people waiting. Im on the kerry panel

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

Huge congratulations to you. How long you will be waiting will depend on when a position becomes available for you. You will then go into clearance which involves garda vetting, filling out/submitting documentation, and providing the details of your references. Hopefully you will hear very soon.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Coole-kid21

Does anyone know roughly how many people are in a batch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Cat1212

Thanks @furrybones for your response, hopefully I will hear soon. The whole process has been though going 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dd123456

Has anyone been called for Louth interview yet or know what number they are on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Hey All

looking for assistance if possible - PAS looking for references from my last employer - however as part of their company policy they only issue statement of service and do not give personal references - anyone been in a similar situation? Have advised PAS of same

Any assistance much appreciated thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Most companies do that to reduce risk of a lawsuit. PAS will be used to it, you'll be fine.

Thanks - explained this to PAS already but not accepting it - have given them my old Ops Manager contact details for clarification so will see what happens

didn’t even think about the legal aspect of the whole reference thing

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cocs

They could well ask for a character reference so ur ops manager could do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I got asked for that last week but thats because I havent worked in last 3 years after having kids. Garda vetting done and still waiting to hear back.

Just got my assignment at DSP, how long approx does it move from assignment to start date? Email said I'd be contacted in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JeDo

I know someone currently with them since 2021 panel. It took about 5 weeks between assignment and start date for them last year. Would you mind if I asked roughly where you are on the panel, if in Dublin? I’m in the low 1000’s hoping to be called by end of Summer.

Post edited by JeDo on

Hi I'm in the Midlands so no help unfortunately I was in top 30 in my county! 5 weeks 😭 raging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 nikki2022

Bout 4-5 days. Still waiting to hear back from the Pas officer regarding my placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ladz

Hi, what did they ask you for? I'm 4 years at home & 4 years prior to that I was self employed. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JeDo

Ah ok no worries thanks! It could definitely be quicker this year, I know two sections have moved from DSP in Dublin to Longford recently and they need staff so hopefully that is some use to you! Best of luck with everything 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crinkley

Anyone recently interview for Galway and have you heard anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jamp 123

Anyone know how long it takes to get a contract once you have a date?

Think that PAS trolling me at this stage ha - so far have submitted the following

last employer - sent statement of employment - company don’t issue character refs - PAS not accepting - then asked for ref from previous employer

previous employer - got a character reference from my old manager(who has long since left that employer) - PAS now want this on company headed paper/email though no longer works for them

employer before that - company now dissolved

crazy how PAS can’t make a quick phone call to references / old managers to follow up

At this stage looks like staying in private sector - thanks to all for advice on here

Character reference to be someone from a school/college or sports club. I’m not in any of them so not sure they will accept the person i gave as a character reference. They are high up in civil service so hopefully they do.

i gave 3 employer references from previous jobs so dont get why they couldnt just call them

You have to get someone who currently works for company for a reference. I had the same issue. If they won't give a detailed reference they will accept a statement of employment that's what I have for my current job, they just have to sign the statement to their letter format. Then send them your old jobs email for reference someone who still works there it can even be a colleague. Then show proof company is dissolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Maggie 44

Guys

Does anyone know how increment s work. I worked for 10 years in the civil service years ago. How does that work with my pay.

Thanks

Advertisement