Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston St Patrick’s weekend

Options
  • 19-11-2021 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Have been to the US numerous times but never Boston. Is it worth visiting around Paddy’s weekend? We were going to head over on Wednesday 16th and back Sunday 20th but I see the Boston parade is fixed for the Sunday….would it be worth waiting around the Sunday? Is being there on the 17th even a big deal? I’ve been in NY on the 17th and the bars go crazy. Any advice or tips would be appreciated, thanks.

(note it’s a group of lads heading over for a “lads” weekend ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

17th is not a big deal in Boston.

It's the Sunday that the parade is on.

Oh and the parade happens in South Boston, a traditional Irish neighborhood not that far from downtown on the subway or bus.

The bars in South Boston will be packed and you will have to queue to get in.

And it's feckin freezing cold.

Even though it's a very Irish city it's St Patrick's Day is much more low key than New York.

If I were you, of head for Savannah Georgia.

Nice weather and one of the oldest St Patrick's day celebrations in America.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Be certain to bring your mask. Also, a document showing you were vaccinated. The Thanksgiving Macy's parade required this to get by check points. Other social and sporting events may require documentation.

Best St Patrick's Day I've attended was in Chicago. Before Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Can safely say South Boston on the Sunday of Paddy's weekend when the parade is on is the most mental paddy's weekend I've ever experienced. Bars are packed early, sea of green everywhere and people falling around the place by 1pm. If the weather is nice it makes hanging around outside more bearable. A grand spot if you're a single Irish lad over for a weekend and with the last day of the 6 nations rugby on the day before in some bars(with the time difference some bars are open at 8am for the 1pm kick off in europe) too it can be a very good weekend in Boston

Advertisement