Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose spokes

Options
  • 20-11-2021 6:07pm

Hi

I noticed my front spokes were like jelly today on my way home from the supermarket. Someone must of loosened them. I decided to walk home instead in case the Tyre collapsed. Just wondering is spoke tightening advisable?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it something you've tried before? it'd be a weird prank for someone to have pulled, might be better dropping it into your local bike shop to do if it's not something you've done yourself.

I've never tried it before but YouTube says it's not difficult 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

It's doable if you take care and go slowly but if you just start tightening anything that's loose you're likely to pull your wheel into odd shapes

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've done it before, with success, and done it with no success.

At the very least, turn your bike upside down and use some cable ties or something to align close to the rim so you can see where it is misaligned in one direction or the other.

It doesn't take many turns of the nut to make quite a difference and bear in mind, when tightening one, you will have some sort of an impact on the tightness of those on the opposing side. It is somewhat of a black art and after I tried to do it and failed, I brought it in to a shop and had them do it and it still went out of alignment within the next couple of rides leading me to buy a new wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You're better off getting it done properly by a bike shop. And then use an old wheel to practice on, so it doesn't matter if you mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

might depend on the quality of the wheels if they can be fixed properly would defo bring it to a shop to be sure .

Advertisement