Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious activity

Options

Comments

Report everything to the guards including 1 foot wellies- at the very least it keeps them wise that you’re not taking no sh1t - it will help ensure they keep some sort of presence if they know you’re concerned and you’d never know how useful this information would be especially even partial reg numbers

I appreciate cover isn’t what you’d like it to be but if all in the community reports all strange sightings it MAY help keep regular patrols on the go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Cud sum1 av climbed over da gate 4 a piss or dump.Check 2 see where udder fut went

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

He was selling something, he was around years ago. Young lad told him I wasn't here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Farm gates sellers should be discouraged genuine or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

Dont think so should have said footprints lead to where the gate was opened and closed again if you know what I mean. No more foot prints in field . Maybe he was disturbed by a passing car on the road or something gate was up the lane a bit. Has anyone any idea of the type of wellie? tread looks distinctive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

Advice on trail cameras.i bought a few of them a few years ago. They are not great tbh. They can be very discoverable by people who look out for CCTV etc but the biggest pain was changing the batteries but most was taking out the SD cards and going through the footage. Mind u I got a neighbor one summers evening going for a "walk" at 11pm having a right look around for herself!. Hadn't much time for her since.

The camera is your only job. I have it on the phone as well with intrusion detection..saves massive amount of time.

Have to agree on the trail cameras. They can be difficult to hide as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Had ours set up in the yard for about 6 months. Got lovely pics of a vixen moving her Cubs one by one in her mouth. Also loads of picks of my late father having a piss in the nettles!

Nothing suspicious though. I think a certain ethnic minority have a way of jamming them, might be worth checking that out before buying one. Some of the cameras aren’t waterproof but a strip of wide black or dark green tape around the edges and over the top sorts it. Do a bit of Googling before you buy one. Rain fooked our one and batteries leaked.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re looking at cameras with wifi streaming AND recording to sd card

we hope that whatever went wrong that night will deter them coming back but I know they saw Honda petrol washer and other tools that would be juicy targets for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

I had a nice trail cam at a secluded entrance until it was knicked one night. Some great wildlife pics and the odd motorist stopping to take a dump...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just hold them down and cut one of their legs off. It makes them much easier to identify the next time, like here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The solution to that is one that takes a 2.5g , 3g or 4g sim

I use trailcams for comprehensive cover and yes it's a pain to go theouh the footage. But priceless if you're trying to nail suspicious activity or scoping.

Around the houses ,I've used Alfred app for years using old Android phones (5.1 is the earliest it will run on now but that's fine as it as motion detection area and zoom and a lot more than when it first came out. Free but I pay for the premium version.

Mobiles need to stay plugged in for best effect but I've left a standalone mobile running to protect an avenue for 3 hours before. It pings my phone inside maybe 2-3 seconds when I arrive home. Wouldn't leave home without it.

So a 3g or 4g trail camera, while expensive, is a good job.

You should also consider a camera watching a camera. Mine are arranged thus and so if someone was to swipe the more obvious one, they'd never suspect or find the one playing sweeper.

Edited to add that I use simlocked androids on WiFi and if I have an unlocked one, I'll occasionally top up a 48 SIM for €8. Cheap security, better than any alarm when backed up with steel and mental steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

Do people think is there much local knowledge involved in farm thefts where someone local is passing on info or is it normally outsiders working on their own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Often it's a case where "the Tinkers" are blamed for a theft that is done by a sneaky neighbor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

Definitely local knowledge involved a lot of the time. As easten says there's a good bit of sneaky or eclecpto locals who hoover up stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Few years ago around this area there were guys hunting with lurchers taking it upon themselves to call into yards after their dogs wandered in.

A few nights or days after some of the yards and dwelling houses were robbed.

Guards knew the hunters well. Dangerous individuals it seems.

It's a combination of all. If they're inclined that way whether local or not if they see or know of something they'll take the opportunity.

Local rogue around here usually petty is said he couldn't leave a vice grips if he saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Neighbour here was broken into last week. Just a bungalow with no farm or yard. Old woman living on her own. Not there thankfully when it happened. Everyone shocked as very built up area.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Poor woman will be livin in fear for the rest of her days. Hangin isn’t good enough for these type.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I heard that a ship leaves from the southeast once a month with any amount of stolen machinery...

Could this be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Don't know about machinery but a car belonging to a friend of my daughter was stolen.

A very alert off duty guard spotted 2 similar cars with 1 person in each heading south east. He informed his base and the cars were intercepted entering the port.

Both were on 'legal' number plates but on inspection it was found that both were stolen and on false plates.

If they had travelled individually and spaced out a bit they might have got away with it. Both were expensive Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goodtimesroll

Had a visit during the week from the lurcher gang out with two drones would you believe. Very hard to spot at night but a faint flashing red and blue light is on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's a big Lithuanian outfit robbing BMWs and Audis n straight onto the ferry with them. They have the yokes are on the boat before the owner opens the curtains in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

I got this setup off a recommendation on here. Great job ,you just need a socket to plug it into. I have a 50w led spotlight that comes on at night. Any movement at night records on the phone.

Outdoor wifi camera

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tapo-Security-Weatherproof-Definition-C310/dp/B08K3KKNBY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B08K3KKNBY&qid=1619305872&sr=8-1

4g unlocked mifi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M7200-Portable-Unlocked-management/dp/B0797VW7FG/ref=sr_1_42?dchild=1&keywords=4g+router&qid=1619306049&sr=8-42

a 4G sim with 24gb data usable over 2 years, if you don't want a monthly bill.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Pay-Broadband-Data-Black/dp/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=39PF0HEHCF9EM&dchild=1&keywords=three%2Bbroadband%2Bsim&qid=1619306381&sprefix=three%2Bbroadband%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNTNJU1g4RlNTV0NLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzM4ODUzWFBUWlk3UEtPODlUJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNDk4MjcyTDY1UU9PMTVXM0NLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

all about £40 each

add a micro sd card and you have the lot, recording to card, remote access to card, motion alarm alert.

If you only watch remotely when you get a motion alert alarm, the 24gb data should last for ages.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do they go out in containers or what? Surely it should be fairly obvious to Garda / Revenue when shipments like these are going through the port?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Wouldn't be too difficult to drive them onto a regular car ferry (perhaps with false plates)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe, but you'd think it would be fairly easy to check this - make sure the plate matches the car, make sure the car address matches the passenger address, with a particular focus on late bookings.

You'd think the UK and France would be fairly careful about what is coming off the ferries into their territories too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They'd have to check every car (which isn't their responsibility) and even then it would hardly be foolproof. They could buy one Audi, register it in their name, and just keep using those plates to get on the Ferry with the stolen models of that type

Advertisement