Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong White Flour.

• 20-11-2021 6:35pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

........so I'm looking to buying 10 or 12kg type bags from a mill as below,

....but am confused by the selection and what they would call "Strong White Flour" as Odlums stuff I buy atm.

Any insight peoples?

(I've dropped them a line but I know the knowledge is here also 😀)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Larry Bee

I was getting the Caputo flour from Silvio Rabbitte for making bread, sourdough and pizza dough. It looks like they are out of it now, but I'm 99% sure that the Pizza Flour 00 Iaquone should do the trick.

John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Thanks John.....have a big bag of 00 that I use for pasta and the likes.

It's Strong White Flour made from wheat is what I'm after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On that site, I'd say the Native Olands White is what you are after.

10% protein.

Nice one ^ 😉

Yes.....I should be looking at high protein content which will produce a high gluten %.

Learning......

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

That website is linked to kells mill, I buy marriage strong flour from them and I have found it very good.

• Advertisement

Just bought 'Golden Crust Strong Flour" from Kells Mills. thanks for the heads up bob.

€20 for 16kg. I think it's good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

On a side note. Has anyone here tried a flour called bere meal? It is local to Orkney where I lived many years. Of there are any Scottish folk here? Delicious and very distinctive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sounds very interesting. I wish we had a little more variety in flour types in bread available. Although, it's a whole lot better now than 20 years ago. I can easily get spelt or rye bread made locally, at least.

I thought that olands flour I mentioned earlier sound like it could be tasty, too.

If I started baking bread, I'd probably have 20 different flours in the cupboard!

Advertisement