Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving Over Front Garden

Options
  • 21-11-2021 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

The front driveway to my terrace house is half lawn, half driveway, with no perimeter wall.

Im looking to pave over the lawn to create additional parking space, would anyone here know if I need planning for this?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You don't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will your parking plans involve any adjustments to the footpath and kerb?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭theboss.com

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would suggest you also speak to you management committee. It sounds like a managed estate and they often have their own rules about modifications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Why don’t you consider a permeable parking surface. I have seen them, grass can grow through holes in the blocks and also facilitates drainage. Looks better than I have described and not as severe as paving. I hate seeing gardens being concreted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Generally exempt from planning permission, as long as it is for the parking of up to two cars only/max (see/google Class 6 - Exempted Development).

Some Councils have their own additional guidance. AFAIK, DCC 'suggest' max. 2/3 hard landscaping and 1/3 soft landscaping....can't find now where I saw that set out!

Generally all new surfaces should be permeable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I seen that rule before.

I think it may be DLRCC

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭theboss.com

Thanks folks, the council are in control of the estates roads/pavements etc but the driveway is the owners responsibility. A permeable parking surface does sound like a good option alright and from what I see here may be the only option, although my goal is for something that requires zero upkeep so that no lawns/growth needs to be cut. Ill get onto the council to check.

Advertisement