Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading level for Senior Infants

• 21-11-2021 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can anyone guide me as to what level a 6 yr old in senior infants should be able to read?

or what the child should cover in Senior infants - I’m finding it hard to decipher the curriculum.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There's no "set" level. Each child is different, some start off a little slower than others, in the same way that others will be quicker. Do you read to them every day?

Does the child know the 42 letter sounds ( or even the sounds of the alphabet ?) and some of the "tricky" words, aka the Dolch words (If the school is using Jolly Phonics? )Have you been using the shared reading approach? I'd be seeing if they blend CVC words, ie consonant vowel consonant words such as rat, big, leg etc.

Has the class teacher expressed concern at this stage? The school will probably test the class in the spring using either the MIST, or closer to the summer the TEST2R. Best advice, talk with the teacher if you have any concerns.

Advertisement