Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are this socket 13 amps?

Options
  • 22-11-2021 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have two sockets like this on my shed like the pictures attached.

how do I know what the amp on both of them? (I'm planning to use an EV granny charger on one of them).

I have a multimeter if that can help? (just totally forgot how to use it...)

I already have one EV charging outside on an external 13Amp plug, I have another plug next to it but unfortunately, if I charge my second EV car at the same time it blows the fuse box that while I'm looking at plugging the second car in the shed

BTW any idea of the cost for an electrician to change this to a 16amps ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Yes that's a 13 amp socket. A multimeter won't help you. If you unscrew the socket the rating should be written on the inside.

It's not simply a matter of swapping that socket for a 16 amp socket. The wiring may need to be changing depending on how it's wired. It is likely that it would probably need to be on a dedicated circuit. How close is it to the fuseboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lowrisk

i was hopping that both socket was 13amp but thinking about it, it’s probably sharing the same fuse.

this is inside the shed which is maybe 4 meter outside so I would say probably just over 7 meters from fuse box.

I found a EV granny charger that charge at 13amp but since the socket itself is 13amp (+ a charger for a robot mower on the plug next to it) would that not be super dodgy to use 13 amp for 14h a day or more ? Seems like playing with fire to me (unless I’m wrong but I would think that the socket would overheat)

update : how can you tell if you meter is 1phase or 3 phases ?

Update : the answer : 1 phase

Post edited by lowrisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would be getting a reci in rather than opening up your fuse box like that.

If it's on a 20A circuit, it should be fine for 13A on the socket (total of course remembering that most appliances don't pull max ampage at all times). If you're trying to charge 2 cars at once and it's causing a trip, again I'd be saying get a RECI in and do it properly rather than pulling from a shed plug in tandem, there's more variables there such as cable size, length and where the run goes.

Advertisement