Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footpeg contact then ditch

Options
  • 22-11-2021 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

So... I'm a relative beginner when it comes to two wheels. I read extensively on the forums... watched countless videos of Dan Dan the Fireman, MC Rider, Motojitsu... a thousand "things I wish I knew when I started riding" threads etc... but something happened that I was totally unprepared for... my footpeg made contact with the ground... my instinctive reaction was to straighten up which promply inserted me into the ditch. I was lucky... two weeks previously I installed crash bars which I'm certain saved me and my machine from serious injury. Just some very impressive looking bruises and an even more bruised ego.

However, my first mistake was going on a group ride and I was very quickly out of my comfort zone... I suppose this was the primary cause of the off-road excursion... and this I HAD read about... so I'm fully to blame in that respect.

Anyway... I suppose the moral of my story is... don't go on group rides as a noob... but why don't we read about what to do when your peg hits the floor?

The only purpose of this post is to hopefully prepare someone else for avoiding this literall pitfall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Glad to hear you are okay. Don't beat yourself up about it I nearly shat my pants when I scrapped by first hero blob 🤣.

I used to go on the group rides up to Laragh in Wicklow but quickly realised it was a dick measurement competition so just don't bother now. Always ride at a pace you are comfortable with not the faster guy or gal and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It all depends on how fast you are going and how confident you are on a bike as to what you do when your peg hits the ground, most of the time it's what happened to you, but if you are going fast enough and have enough skill you should be able to pull the bike up. Had a friend wear the hero blobs off his footrests coming back from the NW200 years ago but he was experienced and a big bit crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks guys... thankfully I have the opportunity to chalk it up to experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Not such a problem these days for this old greybeard, but back in the day I rode a Yamaha RD500 (My first and lasting love)

This was a crazy two stroke machine that didn't have a throttle, only what appeared to be a handlebar mounted on/off switch and it invoked hooligan tendencies within whoever was crazy enough to ride it.

It ate footrests, most corners were accompanied with a shower of sparks! I quickly learned the following...

Don't throttle back... keep the speed going.

Definitely don't brake, the bike will hunker down and dig in deeper.

Straighten up (a bit). If you have the road, then open the throttle and she'll sit up.

SLIGHTLY steer the bars away from the bend. This is counter intuitive but if you are dragging a peg then there will be forces at work trying to pull you into the bend. Only do this if you have a gentle hand, too much and you'll be watching your bike disappear without you.

On the track leaving score marks in the tarmac is mandatory, If you don't come off now and again then your not trying hard enough!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

We've nearly all had that "Oh f***" moment inside the helmet. Experiences learn us not to find the absolute limit of our ability.

I've been taught and learned many a lesson by being a clown on a bike. I look at the scars everyday.

Try not to get caught up doing everything all at once,knee down, vanishing point,trail braking,etc. All that stuff those lads mention on those YouTube channels will come in time once you get the basics right. Normal everyday basic road time,get the Kms under your belt.

And my bit of stupid advice to you is,try to learn that a normal front tyre only wants to be at one thing at a time in a corner on the road. Get as much of the braking done as possible while the bike is standing up before the corner,tip the bike in and get off the brakes and let the tyres grip to bring you around the corner. And the next part of learning is then not to be reactive to things,plan ahead,see the corner coming,roll off the throttle,tip it in and drive out of it. Barely a need for new brake pads ever 😂.

Enjoy your time riding and keep learning. The learning never stops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement