Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worn backsole on hiking shoes

• 23-11-2021 10:39am

Hello all.

I bought a pair of boots for a popular outdoor retailer earlier this year only to find after a few months of use that the back soles on both shoes have worn on one side. I returned the shoes and had to buy another in store, so I went for a different type of shoe: a walking shoe. Two months later and I'm faced with the issue again. Yes, I understand I might have a gait issue, but prior to buying shoes from this retailer, I had a pair of walking shoes from a different retailer that lasted 4 years of hard daily use!

Query: Do I have a right to return shoes again if within a one-year period? Technically, I've only had the new pair for 2 months (average use of 20 mins on concrete/day). The box and instructions state that the shoe is an everyday show.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Really depends on the compound of the sole. A very comfortable shoe might have a softer compound that will not wear that well, but people will want them.

I mostly wear Timberland and will have some pairs for years and others just for a few months before major wear is noticed. Its their street shoes that wear in a short time and their hiking boots last years. But their street shoes are like gloves on my feet and if I get 6 months regular wear, I'm happy and I relegate them to garden shoe status.

The price and brand is also something to consider. Karrimor used to be brilliant. They then went bust and sports direct bought them. They are now crap.

If its a decent store, ask them for advice and whether they can do something and also suggest something more hardwearing

Thanks, @Darc19 . Pity about Karrimor. I've had a pair of their sandles for 5 years and wore them loads both at home and abroad--not a segment missing from the soles!

I'm surprised that hiking shoes would have such cheap soles. All the other clothing items I’ve bought from this store were excellent and last years.

I'll need to do some research, but the mass-produced China base, really does not lend to quality.

I wonder if army-grade boots would be the best solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

for Hiking, I'd look at Northface / Timberland (both the same parent company) and you'll find some great deals on their websites especially if not too fussed about style.

Almost all footwear is made in China. They just follow the specs of the manufacturer and some models are made to a budget.

Thanks, Darc. Very true on the "made in Chine" front.

I'll do my research and try and find a hiking shoe that can also transform as a day-to-day urban shoe! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Different brands/styles will have differently shaped insoles which would likely be more or less effected by your gait.

I know if I get a pair of shoes with flatter insoles that they'll wear significantly more in one side unless I add arch support inside. Some brands will have a better internal shape and I don't need to add anything.

Incidentally, I've found that the soles of the more expensive shoes (Merrell etc) generally wear much faster under daily use then the cheaper ones (Hi-Tec etc). I tend so save the the £200 Merrels for when I actually need them, and wear far cheaper shoes for knocking about the place...

• Advertisement
Advertisement