Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship 2021 - 23/11 to 05/12. Eurosport and BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Was a strange frame, ronnie lost his composure for a few moments, whether the crowd movement got to him or what. Big chance missed for Noppon though, cue ball control has let him down, long potting has been sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What a shot ! Brilliant by Noppon.

all in vain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Classy clearance by O'Sullivan....surely his title to lose now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie had a few wobbles but he knew he had his opponent beaten mentally and the snooker just flowed from him. If he can keep playing like this he's got a good chance. Classy finish there with the clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The host there on the BBC studio with Ronnie is excellent , whoever he is they're not paying him enough

• Advertisement

Definitely seems in an ok place mentally, however quickly that can unravel, and no one left that he shouldn't beat in the normal course of events. Wilson been looking a bit ropey all week, McGill at a push maybe. Shame Noppon didn't make it 4-2 that time, just to see what response we'd have got in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

He’d be even better if he didn’t interrupt O’Sullivan mid-sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah Ronnie’s post match is always the same ‘not bovvered’ ‘snooker is a hobby’. Everyone knows he does not mean it. Interviewer did well steering him away from the usual guff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Nice plant to seal the deal there from Zhao. Did well to close that match out the way he did, was sure Lines was going to hand him a one way ticket to shredsville.

Christy Dignam (Aslan) / lookalike Peter Lines is gone v Zhao. Lines has a young fella that is a pro snooker player. I suppose he wonders ‘how can I protect you in this crazy world?’ 😏

• Advertisement

Lovely little nifty shot Zhao played on the pink. Thought Hendry was unfair on Zhao a bit. Saying he is supposed to be producing at 24 yo. But Hendry did not factor in Zhao is from China different culture - he has limited English etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is that relevant ,though language and culture

I reckon if you can play it shouldn't matter where you're from

Hendry can be harsh alright. Thing about Zhao, he's had incredible hype ever since he beat Steve Davis in the China Open 7-8 years ago so lot of expectation on him. Agree it's definitely a bit tougher for young chinese kids having to uproot and move to a totally different environment. Maybe Zhao is getting there but still think his overall game is a bit lacking yet. Exciting to watch though, that's for sure.

Of course it is imagine if the average Irish young lad went off to China aged in his mid teens. How would he fare? When Ken Doherty went over to England at an older age he was homesick as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Hendry and O’Sullivan were both absolutely right, nothing harsh about it. Ding was UK champ at 18, and again at 22. Xintong is 24.

Things have changed a lot since Hendrys time. Players don't come through ready formed as teenagers like they used. Yan maybe, but he's an exception. All these talented kids appear on the horizon and most of them have no clue how to win tactical matches and go deep in big tournaments. Took Judd almost till he was 30 to learn how to be a champion and I think even that's still a work in progress. Zhao is just another flamboyant potter with no defined tactical game, he can definitely make it but wouldn't surprise me to see him turn into the Chinese lisowski, which would be top 16 at least I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Jimmy or Hendry coming through at 18/19 were the exceptions that prove the rule.

Even Ronnie, the greatest player ever, had won the following at his 28th birthday: 1 World, 3 UKs, 1 Masters. Mark Williams had won more of the big titles at 28. 2 Worlds, 2 UK, 2 Masters

I'd say if Ronnie was going through at 28 today there'd be people complaining that he made a huge splash, but failed to really deliver. And to a certain extent that is true in his case, but his most productive years were in his 30s and early 40s.

Not comparing all these guys to Ronnie or Mark, but some of them will break through to win the bigger ranking events.

Seems a bit like men's tennis to me at the moment, 3-4 dominant players at the top for a decade and more and a generation of kids struggling to make headway against them. Eventually, those great champions will simply expire and others will move in to fill the gap. Just seems to be taking an age to happen.

Zhao just needs a Terry Griffiths in his corner or that type of veteran old school player with tactical nous. All that stuff can be learnt. The raw potting and flamboyance can't be taught.

Woolaston could do with some table time here, and of course a frame on the board... be difficult coming from 3-0 down against a player of Kyren’s caliber..

• Advertisement

That's true but I also believe these aspects of the game are hard to pick up if they're not ingrained in you from a young age. Thing about snooker now, unless you reach a final, qualify for tour championship or world last 48, you won't play any multi session matches, as in more than one session. That's probably over half the tour, some of them might never play two sessions in their career! Players are being conditioned now for bo7s which can't prepare you for the mental demands of the marathon matches. I don't know can you coach that either and think it's a big reason why young players are finding it increasingly difficult to bridge the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Could see another white wash here, Woollaston not up to much at all unfortunately.

Wollaston looking ok and capable but bad positional shot or bad pot, missing that straight black... Jesus... he was up off the shot as he struck the ball, looking like an amateur...

Can't believe "woolly bags" is 18 years on tour. Made one final and one visit to the crucible to his name, just over £700k career prize money. Worse ways to make a living, i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

The comeback is on for Woollaston

Another bad shot by Wollaston and Wilson all but home and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

You'd feel Wollaston missed his chance after losing that frame, very difficult to see anyway back now.

ridiculously bad break off by Woollaston and Kyren looking good for victory

The inconsistency that’s killing Woolaston

• Advertisement

3 reds doubled in a row. Got to be some kind of record, get Phil Yates on the job!

Woollaston had half a squeak there.

Advertisement