Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disputing card received.

Options
  • 23-11-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I received a card/warning for this post. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118186923#Comment_118186923 . I do not think that this was justified by any stretch of the imagination.

The message said "Carded for continuing to be uncivil despite previous warning. Do not discuss moderation in thread. Thanks for your attention."

I replied to the message saying that I did not discuss any moderation on thread but receive no response.

Under the new site, it is not clear who is a moderator and who is not. I only became aware that that poster was a moderator after they carded me. The moderator had expressed a view that their child needed grinds in maths to get more points because all the children had to study religion. I merely pointed out that they cannot blame religion for this because all the marks are relative and on a curve, and even if all the hours spent on religion were put into extra topics on the maths curriculum, the weaker students would still be at the bottom of the class. I said that

Every school would have been the same so it was a level playing field. Even if one school didn't do religion - what was it, 1 or 2 classes per week - then you'd have to decide what classes got those extra hours. You want maths because your daughter is weaker in that but maybe someone else wants English or someone else wants French because they want to study it at third level.

I was challenged on this and I replied, again saying that it would be unreasonable to expect a perfectly bespoke system for each individual based on their own peculiarities.

Some other poster who apparently did not understand the word, got their knickers in a twist and appeared to take the use of the word "peculiarities" as an insult. I sent them a link to the dictionary definitions of the word to show there were different meanings and also noted that it should have been clear from the context of the sentence (including using the word "bespoke") which use it was. I received a warning for this.

My post was neither uncivil nor discussing any moderation. If the moderators just don't want others from making contributions which do not agree with their personal opinions then they should state so in the charter or just threadban them.

You can't be banning people because others don't understand the meanings of words. I can't be held responsible for that. That is their ignorance and not mine.

It is not for the topic of this dispute but I think that boards.ie needs to have a way of identifying moderators - especially when the moderators appear to hold strong personal views on the topics they are moderating.

Post edited by Spear on

Advertisement