Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there every any deathbed murder confessions

• 23-11-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

I can't recall too many and there have been many unsolved murders. Do the murderers ever feel empathy for their victim's families and confess in their dying days or leave instructions with proof of their crime to be read upon their death, or has tv/films coloured me on the existence of this? Not all of them can be sociopaths

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Common for nursing home staff to hear these things according to Google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The thing is that the mind can play tricks close to death. How seriously can you take such a confession in those circumstances. Proof would usually be hard to find also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm sure there are. As said above though, how much credence can you give it, especially if a patient is suffering with dementia. The usual portrayal of a dementia patient thinking they're back in the past and remembering their childhood dog, is good wholesome nostalgic TV, but it isn't the whole truth. The barriers between reality and fantasy sometimes break down completely and they can talk about all sorts of things that never happened at all.

You also have other aspects such as families choosing to ignore it. If your father on his death bed told you that he'd done a hit-and-run that killed someone in 1961, would you decide that the right thing to do was to drag that up and go searching for that needle in a haystack, only to discover at the end that there's nobody alive who cares? Or would you decide that nobody else needs his memory tainted like that and to let sleeping dogs lie?

Most of these after death discoveries come because someone else comes forward as they're no longer in fear (think Saville), or someone uncovers documentation that the deceased was hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

This is why I was wondering if there's any known Irish cases where someone has the details etc... that only the killer would know in a sealed envelope or akin that is only opened upon their death. It's beyond me how people could live with themselves knowing there are people out looking for the victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Yes. Some crimes get solved by someone with information (not necessarily the criminal) who is facing death and wants to clear their conscience.

Another source of solving crimes is the scorned woman...the ex wife/girlfriend who, having had years of mistreatment, get the strength to speak up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Why does everyone assume old age in these cases? Young people die too.

I can’t see why someone would confess to anything unless there was some gain to them. I assume most people have a conscience and probably want to clear theirs, as humans seem to be getting scared of the “what if” question upon approaching the end of their lives. Ironically many won’t even realise that they are passing on the burden of knowing to those they confess to, but that’s just another example of human selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Supposedly Frank Thorogood confessed to killing Rolling Stone Brian Jones on his deathbed back in 1993. Although, that theory is very much in doubt.

Convicted paedophile "Cookie Monster" Eamon Cooke didn't go so far as a full confession on his deathbed, but one of his victims came forward on foot of hearing he was dying, and gave information that is considered credible, that Cooke killed Philip Cairns. The case remains open, though. The detective who interviewed him in 2016 said Cooke disclosed enough details, to make him no 1 suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not many people actually have an imminent pre-death period where they are awaiting death on their "death bed", and remaining compos mentis if they do have a death bed, is even rarer

People often slip away without warning

That's why when people say you will regret working so hard on your death bed or some such bolix, its highly unlikely we will actually even know whats happening if we do have one

Seen 2 relatives on a death bed in the last decade, both were asleep without waking for days before dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Allegedly most people have a need to confess. Most criminal cases are solved because of informants, to whom criminals confessed. I read somewhere that is about 80% cases in US solved in this way.

People have a need to confess and they do it directly or indirectly, like this guy, who precisely described, how his wife had been likely murdered on the Late Late Show (don't remember his name).

And I think if someone is send to a nursing home so then has plenty of time to think back about their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well yeah if you genuinely have something big to get off your chest, you don't want to leave it till you're gasping out your dying breaths, as you say a high risk you won't manage to get it out.

I suppose the problem if you want to make arrangements a bit before that for the secret to come out posthumously, via a sealed letter or a recorded audio message or whatever, is there a foolproof way of doing that that won't incriminate you if you miraculously pull through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Wouldn't they be sick if they were after getting away with it all their lives, then wake up unexpectedly in a hospital bed only to be told that they are dying and then confess to everything. Then be visited by the doctor a few hours later who says - "ah no, you're not dying at all. You just have a minor graze to your leg after tripping when walking home pissed and a passing driver called the ambulance for you. That other fella isn't a doctor and he was reading the wrong chart anyway"

They could then spend the last 20 years of their life locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

is there a foolproof way of doing that that won't incriminate you if you miraculously pull through.

I'd recommend don't give the tapes to Boston College maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Makes you wonder why someone would wait 30 years before coming forward with information just as the accused is about to kick the bucket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I dont think Cooke was involved in Philip Cairns disappearance. An evil scumbag he was but it didn't fit his modus operandi, the story this person gave just didn't add up. His deathbed "confession" was highly dubious as well, he had dementia and was probably drugged up to his eyeballs.

I'd be thinking more of an item that's left (through a will) to a friend/relative and is kept with the will at the solicitiors and only given to them upo death rather than a mysterious envelope reading "only open upon my death". Seems like I watch too much tv

I suppose if I was someone like Frank Thorgood to whom suspicion was long attached, and word got out that I had set up this 'posthumous' revelation, there'd be a nagging doubt in my mind: "Is there some way the cops/justice system could get at that 'item' before I snuff it?"

I don't mean anything as obvious. Just, at the will reading; "and to XXX I leave this letter..."

But no matter what arrangements you put in place, that confession would be out there in the real world somewhere, in a safe, in the back of a drawer, whatever. If it was it me there would always be the nagging worry:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's far more likely that someone who gave an alibi to a suspect would come forward years later if they get a terminal illness or similar. They may have been uneasy for years about the alibi they provide but its only a crices that makes them come forward.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say it's very rare. Unlike films n TV where is is often a plot driver. I can't remember a confirmed case in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Richard Kuklinski must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

I think everyone who dies should bequeath a public document that "sets straight" everything in their life that they wanted to say but couldn't find a good situation or time to or they were afraid of blowback over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't think he had much left to say. He claimed to be involved in the murder of Hoffa and 100+ other murders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Or just do it in the airing of the grievances at Festivus.

Not a confession from the murderer himself but one from his mother - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Maria_Ridulph

There was one from the murderer himself in Tennessee or Kentucky a while ago where he confessed he had beaten a woman to death. I forget the specifics of the case but I think he was unwell in prison (for unrelated crime).

The last surviving witness to the missing postman disapperace,

Sent for the postmans family when on his deathbed,but had seemingly succumbed/gone unconcious by time they arrived

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Larry_Griffin

• Advertisement
Advertisement