Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights for ceiling - Halogen Vs new LED Lights

Options
  • 23-11-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi,

I have about 20 dimmer halogen lights missing in the house. So went to Woodies they said they don't do them as they're not used anymore.

They said the new lights are LED Lights e.g. OSRAM (see attached).

However, these are $10 each and they said it wouldn't be good to mix halogen and these new LEDs, so in short that's going to cost about €500.

Is the only option to bite the bullet and replace all?

Jos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

If you go to an electrical wholesaler like Kellihers, CEF etc you should be able to get them a good bit cheaper than Woodies.

One thing to bear in mind... the dimmer module(switch) for halogens won't work correctly with the LED bulbs. The lights will pulse when dimmed, so the switches will more than likely have to be swapped out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭jos_kel

Thanks, so halogens are definitely a thing of the past then?

Is it a big job (cost wise) to get the switches swapped?

It'll still be a dimmer switch, is that right? just a different type of dimmer switch?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've seen some LED lights work with some dimmers and others not. In regards to mixing LED and non-LED - you can mix on non-dimmed circuits but there are some niggles with them on dimmed circuits, but I'd advise you try one or two out. Ask in a wholesalers for a dimmable and non-dimmable. Go for a good brand-name bulb and ask for a warm-white like what you found above.

While the initial outlay for LED seems high, the financial return is pretty quick - an LED consumes about 15% of the power of an equivalent halogen bulb.

Advertisement