Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New SCA rules

• 23-11-2021 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭

Has anyone else been having issues with certain retailers and the "new" Strong customer Authentication (SCA)?

Last two purchases I've tried to make online have been declined, one was for Smyths and on both occasions the bank informed me its the retailer not using the new SCA rules and there's nothing the bank can do. I need to contact the retailer - which I do and there front line support have no idea what I'm talking about...

It's starting to get frustrating that these retailers, that knew this change was coming aren't supporting it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you a mobile phone registered with your bank to receive the SCA confirmation? Have you enabled the banking app on your phone to issue notifications?

Apologies if this sounds very basic but it would help if you were able to say that you are getting an SCA confirmation from other online retailers.

If this was an issue with the retailer, I'm guessing that someone who looks after their online sales would have noticed business drying up and would have done something about it by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Yeah and all sites that correctly use SCA come through my app and I can approve them. The issue here is some retailers seem to be stuck using the old system and an approval is never even requested.

I spoke with Smyths support today on email and they straight away referred me back to my bank, craziness….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Weird, strange that you're having problems with a big retailer like Smyths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Been back and fourth with the bank and Smyths and my bank said it's likely the retailer has an old saved payment profile for me under the old system - so they need to delete that and I need to re-submit the payment and it should go through the new SCA system. Massive pain in the arse, try explaining that to front line support!

Luckily I have a new card arriving soon and im closing the account for my current card - so I'm hoping this issue disappears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

I've seen this alot recently. People like Amazon, Are Lingus, BA & Smyth's causing problems.

Issuers have been told to enforce SCA recently causing payment problems. They know retailers aren't all ready, but EU is forcing this as it's already behind schedule (apparently).

Issuers are playing dumb telling people to call the retailer to ask the vendor to change the payment processing. Like are Amazon even going to answer Timmy from Ireland's query, and if they do, are they really in a position to say..."whoops our bad. Forgot to flick the switch to turn on SCA. Try again now Timmy".

Very disengenuos all-round. Loser is the customer in the middle.

Unfortunately a new credit card won't make any difference to the situation as the problem lies at the retailers end. They need to make a change, and when they see lots of lost sales that's when they'll sit up and take notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement