Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox series s vs ps5 digital question

Options
  • 23-11-2021 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Looking for advice on which console to buy.

Don't game a huge amount, just looking for something to play fifa on and maybe the old gta games or a new one if its released, thats about all.

€100 in the difference, as well as the series s being available straight away.

I've heard the quality of fifa and gaming is better on the ps5 than the series s but just wondering if anyone has any experience using the series s and could give me any insight.

Appreaciate any responses

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Series S is a less powerful console than either the PS5 or the Xbox Series X. Still a decent console that’ll play next gen games, but will run games at lower resolution and frame rates. The drawbacks will be most noticeable if you’re using a 4K tv. It also has less storage space than other next gen consoles - keep in mind that expanding storage is quite expensive this generation of consoles. It does have the benefit of being the only next gen console that’s relatively easy to get.

PS5 digital, in comparison, is exactly the same as its more expensive sibling, other than the lack of a disc drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

XBox S is easier to get - good luck getting a PS5 this year.

Do consider though getting a console with a disk drive if you want to play old games - you can pickup older but compatible games very cheaply on disk - would likely work out cheaper in long run.

For diskless - yes the Playstation controller is better - but I actually prefer XBox myself over PlayStation - cheaper access to games with the great xbox pass subscription - especially if you are into Sports games with all the EA content.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If I had my time again I think I'd be going for the diskless options and paying for hte additional storage, nearly all games needed to be installed locally anyway so having a disk is just awkward as you have to physically put in the disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I got the disc and don't regret it. Games at 80 are too expensive, and unless you want to muck about with foreign PSN accounts, Sales on new gen are not great, so being able to get a new game for 30 with trade in is a no brainer to me.

Saying that, unless you want the best graphics, the Series S is the best current choice because of availability and Gamepass, which includes EA Access, so you get all the Fifas about a year or less after release. And I'm a Sony fanboy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gamepass is great, especially as you can go from console to tablet to phone to PC. For games, I don't think I've ever gotten a second hand game and nearly all my gaming is online so that's not an option for me really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If you're not interested in the best visuals, then the Series S with Game Pass Ultimate is incredible value. See the first post on this thread to find out how you can get 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for the price of three years of Live Gold, approximately €120. 300+ games, with new games from Microsoft added day and date, it's just an incredible deal.

Every time I talk about it, I'm aware of how on the nose this article is:

As a disclaimer, I am one of the mods of the Xbox forum, so take that into consideration. I have no problem recommending the PS5 though, it's an incredible machine, and which ever you buy, I think that you'll have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

The PS5 is a lot more powerful than a Series S and will be more future proof. If, as you say, you only play the odd thing fairly casually then the Series S might be fine for your needs. If you're playing on a smaller TV or one that isn't 4k then you won't notice any difference visually, though the PS5 does have a more advanced controller too with resistive triggers and haptic feedback that can make some games feel a lot better - using FIFA as an example since that's a game you're interested in, the trigger to sprint gets physically harder to press the more tired the player you're controlling is. Honestly I think this actually feels worse than having no feedback as it just puts more strain on your fingers (you can switch it off in options), but the same technology feels fantastic on some other games for things such as bow and arrow or accelerator and brake.

Gamepass, as people have mentioned, is a good netflix-like subscription service that's exclusive to Xbox (and PC) - for fifteen quid a month you get unlimited access to a couple of hundred games. It's mostly Microsoft's own games and a bunch of small indie stuff, so you won't find big third party games like GTA on there. Whenever a new FIFA comes out they put the previous year's one onto gamepass if you're happy to be a year out of date - though by that time you could probably buy the year old game for about the same price as one month of subscription. Gamepass is great value if you want to sample lots of games, if you're only interested in a few big name games they probably aren't on it and you may not get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 seaniewicklow

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll bite the bullet and get the ps5. Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The sensible choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I got a Series S to tide me over till I can grab a PS5.

It's a decent console for it's price and with Gamepass it's well worth it.

@seaniewicklow A friend gave me this twitter link...the owner posts where/when PS5s are available etc

https://mobile.twitter.com/ps5_ireland?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement
Advertisement