Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trains Boats and Planes Toy shop Princes Street

Options
  • 23-11-2021 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Quick question for you - does anyone have any idea when this place closed? I imagine it was in the 1980’s but it would be good if someone could confirm it. I imagine there is no link between it and Marks Models in Cork?

just curious as all!

Best,

Rod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I suspect it was gone by 1980 cause I can't remember it properly and would have said it was on Oliver plunket Street.

I'd also have said Planes Boats and Trains but that's probably wrong, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think it was still open in the 80s was definitely on one of the side streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I kinda remember it. It was on Princess St and it was called Planes Boats and Trains as the beer revolution says!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roddy1

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. It was on Princes Street for sure.

You’re probably right on the name though, now that a few posters said it!

Best,

Rod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Can't help, don't remember it (though as I turned 4 in late 1980 I wonder does that suggest it was closed by then or not long after) - but now I know where the Frank and Walters got the name for their first Album!

• Advertisement

Just to confirm it was on Princes Street:

"...Like the rockers and the mods in Brighton, albeit without the outbreaks of violence, the two factions spent a lot of time hanging around the same place. That was Planes, Boats and Trains on Princes Street. As toys store go, it was like something from a Hollywood movie, a cornucopia of sights and sounds. Model trains and aeroplanes seemed to take up most of the shelf space and were marvellous to look at but..."

Compulsory stop for me when visiting relatives in Cork in the early 70s but, unfortunately, no idea when it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Leebster

Just came across an old post re ;Trains ,Boats and Planes . The shop was belonging to as far as I recall, to Stan Cussen , it is now Cork Art Supplies , 26 -28 , Princes Street .

Cork.

Advertisement