Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for aftercare treatment post visit to public hospital

Options
  • 24-11-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi there,

A family member of mine suffered a massive stroke recently.

He is currently in a coma, and is not showing signs of waking soon.

He is in a public hospital, and the hospital are asking for his insurance information.

I (as next-of-kin) have to answer for him, as he is not conscious.

My query is as follows:

If I decide to pay via private health insurance, is this family member guaranteed the same level of aftercare, as if I paid via public healthcare.

What I mean is - Do we run the risk of losing out on physical rehab, speech therapy, home assitance nurses etc, after he is discharged, if our private insurance doesn't cover it? Or is he guaranteed that treatment when he's discahrged, since he is in a public hospital.

This is quite important, as if he survives, there will be at least a year of therapy and recovery to go through.

Advertisement