Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Send all the quote requests in the same week - if you chase one installer a week for a quote, the prices will change from the earlier ones if you get me. So won't be like for like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Also beware, April will come around fast with current lead times.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I just did a few sums. For a 7.47kWp system (18 * 415w panels) and 10kWh battery. The formula on page 1 allows 12,964 euro.

The panels, inverter and battery alone for that cost over 12,000. Ok I’m choosing huawei hybrid / battery; but still; that’s not even factoring in mounting hardware / cables / isolation switches and labour.

I hope it’s not putting some people off because they feel they are being quoted unreasonable figures compared to the guidelines.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

I got pretty much that system installed in November for 11.500 after grant .. 9.5 battery 7kw panels

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Price non Huawei stuff and see

18 panels at say 200, 3600

Hybrid inverter - 2k last I heard. For a solis. Heard the sunsync is a bit cheaper.

10kwh battery, 4-5k?

About 9600 -10k (inc vat at 23)

Guide is after grant too.

No battery, now there is a fit, a solar only inverter is only about 800..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I consider the GivEnergy stuff but in the end opted for the high voltage huawei hybrid / battery for the (promised) better peak shaving / efficiency. But I’d really be interested to compare notes after we have both had our systems up and running for a while considering they are so similar yet using different tech.

have you looked into charging your battery at night? Are the settings user friendly for this?

Yes charging the battery every night.. the web app is very straightforward to use. The installer is swapping out my invertor next year as the gen 2 ones can charge and discharge at higher voltage

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

I have a choice between a Leapton 400w panel or a Canadian Solar Panel 410w.

From what i see the Leapton Panel seems to be better in terms of efficiency? Am i reading this correctly.

Hey, a panel is a panel. One gives more output 410w v 400w. So the larger the output, the more the system can produce. So go for the larger one where you have a choice. If you have 15 of those it's 15 x 410, not 15 x 400 - get me? So you get 150w from your system more production forever more (15 panels x 10w more). The 400w / 410w panels will be the same physical size.

I say that as someone who got caught up in reading vendor specs and articles on panels. It’s just marketing that separates them.

To put it another way, get as many panels as you can. Even if one vendor has a panel that is a few % more efficient in certain light levels (which is very possible of course), adding 1 more 400w panel more than covers that. So spend money on more panels, not specific panel types. 

As long as they are similar price. If they are mad more expensive maybe not.

Best panel is the cheapest panel per watt.

• Advertisement

True dat! Sorry, I should have said work out the cost per watt per panel

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭dclifford

How normal is it for an installer to ask for a deposit to complete a site survey to enable them to provide a quote?

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

Haven't heard of it. But it's a sellers market at the moment. Is that an installer from the list that people here have used? Don't mention their name!!

And how much do they want? Are they saying it's refunded if you order from them? which is only a 1 in X chance depending on how many quotes you get.

I'd take that as a sign to put them at the back of the list and get a quote if run out of options elsewhere. There is a cost for running a sales and marketing team and they are now asking you as a potential customer to fund that. Horse S I'd say but might be an indication of how much business they can afford to turn away at mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭dclifford

Installer was not on the list from here. It was one I came across when looking for EV charger install. €150 for site survey that is redeemable against PV install cost if we choose them.

It immediately put me off them, but just wanted to check if it is actually something that is being asked for by others too.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Huge red flag. The majority of installers just need a aircode and a brief of what your looking to get out of the installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I wouldn't pay for a site survey. It's a cost of sales item for them.

its an interesting topic.. installer i used dont do site surveys at all but the electrician told me can be nightmare in some places.. they land with gear and have to abandon installations. the electrician does phone people in advance and get photos via whatsapp but he says still messy. i dont know about paying in advance.. it does seem a bit much especially if you are just looking for a quote and they won't quote you without committing the money

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got a quote that isnt Saas but it was eye watering. 2.8kpw in 7 panels with optomisers came in at just below 10k with the grant to come off that. Sales guy was saying they are these new super duper panels and not Chinese, iirc he said they are a Dutch brand called Dager (or similar) and that they are like glass therefore generate 30% more than standard panels. Anyone know anything about this claim? He said they had only been installing them 4 months.

Anyway even allowing 1,500 per kwp my small system should be coming in at around 4,500 so 10k is way off. At that I let him go but not before he said they have a cheaper system that would be 7,500.

Waiting on other quotes to get back to me, emailed 8 total from the list but two came back and are not operating in my area.

• Advertisement

havent heard of the super duper panels.. everything ive read here is panels are panels..

Sales waffle. Looks like these are the panels https://www.degerenergie.de/400w-420w-mbb-bifacial-mono-perc-half-cell-double-glass-module/ Not sure about the claims of 30% better than normal panels though. I'm sure someone here can run the numbers, not my thing maths!

Post edited by con747 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yup all nonsense and very vague too as to what the 30% is in relation to.

If they are marketing a 400w panel, then it's a 400w panel. Same as all the other 400watt panels out there. If it was 30% cheaper, or it was 30% smaller in surface area, ok, sure we can entertain that it's 30% "better", but no details as to what the 30% is in reference to.

Lies I tell you. LIES! As con747 and Mick mentioned above, panels are panels. Sure you might get some small fraction improvement on one panel over another, but it's like fractions of a percent. As someone mentioned previously, the best panel is the cheapest one :-)

Ah they are bifacial!

If I was doing a ground mount, id be seriously considering bifacial. Roof mount.. not so much

Also.. Edit:

They are JA solar panels!! Chinese! but a rebrand. ffs..

The 30% I think is because they are bifacial panels which I know little about, I would have thought they were more for ground mounts where more light can get to the back. I doubt they are much use on a roof mount but just don't know.

Getting light under a few inches when mounted above a roof? Sounds hugely unlikely.

Crap, I just asked for a quote today from solar as a service for my folks. Meant they wouldn't need a loan. I'll have to run the numbers when they arrive

Very high numbers these days, they have abandoned the model they started with and are now heading into gougers territory going by the prices I've seen lately. I know prices have increased but they are taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I see a SAAS website now has a selector on the site so you can move the pointer to the number of panels you want and it tells you the price.

Much more expensive than when I first got a quote of a 6 panel 2.4kw system for €20 a month, it's now 55. But at least it's very transparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thanks and yeah my spidey senses were pricked up when the sales guy made a claim about them generating 30% more power. That alone had me disqualifying them and then the quote of just under 10k for a small 2.8kwp system arrived and that was that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement