Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

(10 panel 4kW system)

During the site survey the agent said they would use the Huawei Sun 2000 inverter.

But now, the written quote I have says they will install the Solaredge SE3500H inverter.

Are there any major differences between these different inverters?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ecospace

Managed to get 3 quotes so far - 2 callers and one over the phone :)

Anyway what do you think?

Will try a few more before i make a decision

Quote 1 : House visit

16 panels - 415W "Tiger Neo" ( Split 6 NE and 9 SW)

6KW Inverter - Huawei

1 x Eddi

€9800 after Grant

Quote 2 : Over the phone

20 panels - 410W All SW facing

Solis Inverter - KW not specified

€12,319 after Grant

1 x Eddi @780 extra

1 x Battery ( 4.8KW ) €4,700

Quote 3 : - from an active sort of a guy

16 panels - ??W All SW facing

Inverter - KW not specified

1 x Eddi

€15,000 after Grant

1 x Battery ( not specified KW ) €6,000

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I'm interested to know why the first installer split the panels over two orientations?

Where the others didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

===Solar edge===

This solution requires the use of optimisers with each panel. That’s a small device that sits under each panel; there are several advantages:

You can see each individual panel in the app. So you can tell if you have an issue with a panel in your system.

if you have a roof with really bad shading; they will usually give better production across the entire system.

They reduce the standby voltage of the cables running from your roof into your house to 1volt per panel; this could be safer in situations where people are working on the system.

Disadvantages are that because you are adding 10 more components to the system that it will be more expensive at the start. And also because you are adding more components the chance of something failing is increased; and to replace one of them you have to get onto the roof.

the other thing with the solar edge system is that you have to use their battery which is only available in 10kWh and it’s hard to get and expensive.

But it is a great system you would be pleased with it if your happy with the quote.

==Huawei==

The Huawei solution allows the use of optimises also (which give the same benefits as above). But huawei can also function as a basic string inverter. So you should ask would the installer be using optimisers in both the solar edge and huawei installs.

Huawei also limits you to using their own battery (or one other battery from LG) it’s also expensive; but it’s readily available in Ireland and can be installed in 5KWh increments. You could start with 5 and expand up to 10 or 15 in the future with little effort as long as you leave the space on the wall.

=general=

If you have a battery both solutions allow backup power in the event of a grid failure. But both solutions require the additional “backup box” to allow this.

any other questions let me know.

• Advertisement

Quote one is the clear winner here; but it’s expensive. But I would try to get some additional panels if you’re going this route. Maybe your limited for space on the NE roof?

with the NE/SW split you will start producing power sooner every morning and later in the evenings. It will produce slightly less lower overall than the SW only system. But you need to assess you own homes usage patterns and determine when you need the power.

but you should really be using a tool like: https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html to figure out your projected output and make the decision based on the data. Your installer really should be doing this for you. Maybe that first guy would give you a comparison between split and only sw if you asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 briefgate

Hi Folks.

I have the following quotes. These are price without the grant as I am not eligible. Thoughts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

As you have it in the spreadsheet, divide the cost by the kw of panels and sort.

why does the number of panels vary so much between the quotes. One of the quotes is for 8 panels and another for 16. If you can fit 16 panels on your roof and afford it I would request them all to re quote you for 16 and then try to negotiate based on the lowest price. I assuming you have no preference for any type of panel or inverter beyond the lowest price.

if you do want to compare them as they are add a new column to your sheet and divide the price by the Kw and it will give you a euros per Kw that can be used as a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I got offers from something called "Zero Carbon Project" today.

Five panels, 6888 Euro (before grant; qualifies for a grant of 1800). Includes hot water diverter; they said they could put in a diverter that could power a DIY battery system too.

Ten panels, 9888 Euro (before grant; qualifies for a grant of 2400). Includes hot water diverter and 2.4 kWh battery. The battery powers a fixed outlet, not the whole house grid.

One worry I have is I might not consume much of the energy on a sunny day. I do have an electric car but my wife mostly drives it away during the day; it is here some mornings but leaving the battery uncharged overnight for a chance of a morning trickle is too nervous, as the afternoon is a vigorous drive. I work from home, and I'd estimate my workstation to consume 300-500 W, while the peak output of even the 5 panel system might be up to 2000 W as I understand (they said one panel is rated 400 W). Some food cooking and some washing etc do happen, but again, not always during daylight.

The total consumption except night tariff hours is circa 12 kWh/day. (I have a day/night tariff and night consumption is of course massive because of EV charging). With the ten panel option, I guess I could power the workstation through the battery outlet, therefore guaranteeing circa 3 kWh/day consumption of solar power on work alone. Let's assume 2 kWh/day more from shifting washing etc to daytime, so 5 kWh/day, which at 40c/kWh means 2 Euro/day, 700 Euro/year, 10 year payback. Not very nice. The five panel option is cheaper, but without a battery can I even get 5 kWh/day? If I can, that is still 7 year payback.

Does this all mean solar makes no sense for me, at least unless one factors in selling to the grid? The problem with selling to the grid is that I have removed my smart meter to get the very good day/night tariffs that were available last summer. Once the fixed Energia EV tariff that I got in August expires, I can get the smart meter back if that makes more sense.

And is that offer all that good anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

What sort of weird ass battery are they using?

What solar diverter are they using?

I wouldn't be rushing to get rid of the day/night meter either!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Quoted for 20 panels of 440W each. Annual predicted generation, including loss going through the system is 7.25MWh. Quite is €14300 excluding grant. Includes hot water diverter, and all the works. No battery but an easy job to hook one up if we decide to in a year.

I think it seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

That seems bit expensive.. I got the same system with a 9.5kwh battery for 11500 after grant. I supplied the Eddi and they fitted as part of installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

For a few days work, and considering the equipment costs a few thousand at most, the price is eye watering.

Where are people getting these cheaper quotes? I emailed a few companies here and only half responded and when I asked follow up questions that dropped again to two. The other was slightly cheaper but not hugely, these ones are down the road and easier to contact if there are issues.

So after grant Ill be at 11900. Yours included battery? I'm looking to install my own maybe but that's over 1/3 of your whole system coat wise for me.

What should I be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

It's not the worst in fairness, close to the guidelines so try haggle something off it if you can.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Wow, I'd love to know how much this same place would charge for a system with 10-12 panels and a 9.5 kWh battery. (I don't have space for more than 12)

Also could you clarify if this battery feeds into the regular home network?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Battery is connected to home supply so you can charge it from solar or the grid.. I charge from the grid overnight on night rates and it covers most of the house requirements during the day. Solar will charge it when it's sunny..

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Quote from July, installed this week:

Modules- 340w JA Mono panels with 30- year efficiency warranty and 25-year manufacturer’s warranty

16x 340w JA panels Monocrystalline = 5.4kwp system

Battery Dyness 5.1kwh battery

Inverter –RHI-5K-48ES Solis hybrid MPPT comes with 5-year warranty

Mounting Kit- Renosol roof mount Check Meter- Emlite M19

Solar Switch

1x Solis hybrid inverter plus WIFI dongle

All Required 1 x Check meter

As required 1x DC isolators

1x AC isolator

1x Shut of switch

Eddi water diverter

Final install varied slightly. 410kW panels installed so 2kW east and 3.3kW west. 6kW inverter and added the option of double backup socket connected to the battery.

The installers did a fantastic job despite being frozen. Spent the day yesterday refreshing my stats on the app. Delighted so far. Managed to cover my usage from 10.00, fully charged the battery by 14.00 and even exported 1kWh despite eastward panels being completely frozen and generating very little.

Off now to join the reporting threads. Thanks to everyone here for all the info.

Post edited by arch_stanton on

Probably should, but they are close enough to me and I am confident that I won't be chasing my tail if there are issues, if they weren't local I'd probably haggle but in the end, the amount I'll get off won't be worth the effort. Age has taught me it's better to be local and reliable, not that the cheaper quotes aren't but the response times from most have been lacklustre if not non existent.

• Advertisement

It would be worth asking though or maybe ask for 2 extra panels for that price. If you don't ask you don't get!

Wow, so the battery feeds back into the home supply automatically? Sounds excellent to me.

Could you possibly PM the supplier company's name to me so I can ask them for a quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Every battery can charge from the grid or charge from solar. Standard on installs. So in winter you charge on cheap night rate (as solar output is low). In summer, you charge on free solar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭dclifford

13k for 10 panel 4kw system, Hybrid invertor, and battery pack. Only specifics are panels are Mono PERC.

Price excludes grant.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

You need to be more specific on exactly what your quote is for. What size inverter? What size battery? Is there anything else in the quote needs mentioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭dclifford

There are no more details. I dont think I will be going with them.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Not seeing too many quotes for smaller arrays so just looking to see if this sounds ok.

Only an initial quote but said circa 5k after grant for 6x380w panels.

No other details yet but does that sound a good ballpark? Not on the list of installers in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Its expensive, but prices have rocketed recently, the installers have us by the balls, I advise you to shop around, you might be able to shave 1-1.5k off that price.Also put up as many panels as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Thanks I’m starting to wonder also is it a bad time to get it done, maybe prices will come down in the new year. Hard to predict these things really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

As we close out 2022 and move into 2023, what do people think the guidance is for price per kw for pv panels less battery and price per kw for battery

from reading back through multiple pages the average system installed is around 5-6kw pv panel array and 5kw battery

would be interesting to compare to guidance beginning 2022 and calc the increase

Seems to me that the 2.4k grant is hello money, and once you google the material costs for panels, batteries and mounting kits etc. you have to wonder how some of these quotes are calculated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement