Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Ferry to Santander or Bilbao works out about €600 return, and I forgot to show that the 540w panels are €179 each

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

No need they have deliver companies that collect and and deliver to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

ABRP says 27 hours in a Model 3 RWD from Tuam.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

That's a good price. I have lined up 410w panels from a supplier in Prague for €167 delivered.

DM me if anyone is interested in the supplier details. Could in theory be done cheaper if I selected to collect using my own courier.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Just note for anyone else, Kellihers (A.K.A CT Electrics) do 415W Jinko panels for 187e inc VAT. Unless they have increased in the last month or so. Still, 167 delivered is hard to beat for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Do you know of someone else that has used this supplier successfully in the past?It’s a big risk for 400 euro savings on 18 panels Vs buying them locally. Maybe this is a good brand of panel; but I’ve never heard of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

Sorry for bumping this but just wondering if I should try to change my inverter away from a 6kw Solis if I'm installing an 8kwp system with a 10kwh battery. Pretty close to agreeing with a supplier now but a little concerned that Solis inverter wont charge batteries fast enough and this will limit the battery effectiveness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

There's 2 things there and you might have mixed them up. Have a look here Random Renewables Thread - Page 29 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'. Comments before and after about it. There's a 6kW inverter limit with the ESB, unless you want to go larger. Info in that link. 6kW relates to how much electricity the inverter will pull from the panels. The rest is lost.

Check the specs on the speed the Solis can charge and discharger the battery. That's not the 6kW or 8kW 'size' of the inverter. Won't be anything that fast.

I'll freely admit my shortcomings on all things electricity but I think I understand that a 6kw hybrid inverter is the max used for a std domestic installation due to ESB feed in grid limit. However, what I'm trying to get my head around is the comment by @graememk below

I'd be hesitant to recommend the solis though, as it won't do 5kw (100amps) to and from batteries for more than 15 minutes.

The sofar and sunsynk can though. (Although with the sunsynk you might only get 20 panels on it due to voltage limits of it's mppt, on the 5.5kw one)

One of my quotes includes a 6kw Sofar inverter while the best quote is including a 6kw Solis. My question is should I try to swap out the Solis inverter for a sofar in order to address @graememk point above?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

ESBN are not allowing 6kw inverters from May on the NC6 so get your NC6 form in before then or you will be stuck with a 5kw. New Rules. https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/generator-connections-group/micro-generators- @Jonathan is it worth adding this to the FAQ?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Not quite correct. ESBN will accept 6KW invertors as long as the output current is not above 25A

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd be looking for the sofar inverter (as long as it's an EP one not a ES)

The EP can do 5kw from batteries. ES is only 3.

The solis currently will charge at 5kw (100 amps) for 15 minutes but throttles to 3.6kw( 70 amps), this is to and from the battery (roughly 50 volts)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Bugger i was thinking on getting the 6kw solis s6 whenever it came out but it's 27A irrespective of derating

Post edited by Punchin A Keyboard on

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Crap!

Am I right in saying the Solis 6kW hybrid inverter exceeds the 25A limit? It appears to be 30A listed on the spec sheet.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Once you submit the NC6 by end of May it won't matter.

At this stage I wont be able to meet this deadline so what does this actually mean if I am planning to install a 6kw inverter post end May?

As another poster said there are some inverters it won't affect as long as the output current is not above 25A so check the specs on the inverter you intend to use .

Will have to check with installer as this is the first I've heard of this limit and certainly none of the installers I have spoken with mentioned anything about this 25amp limit. Typical I delayed agreeing a deal with an installer in order to get better quotes and now I find I'm going to be lampooned by a previously unheard of deadline.

I just checked the spec sheets for the 6kw Solis and sofar inverters inclluded in my 2 best quotes and both have max output of 27amp. The 5kw sofar is only 22.8 amp while the 5kw Solis is 25amp. If I have to go with a 5kw inverter will this have much effect on the capacity of the overall system?

Just out of interest would it be possible to add further inverters later on in order to take full advantage of the generating capacity of an 8.4 or greater kwp solar system?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

most installers won’t be paying attention to things like this it will take them submitting an NC6 that gets rejected before they will pay attention.

Incase it helps someone; Huawei 6kwh unit is 27.3 A fine for now; banned via NC6 route soon as mentioned above. Get them NC6’e in before the cutoff and you’re laughing.

Can you feel 5kWh huaweis price increase coming :) they are 25A units. perhaps some nice discount on the 6kwh models after May??

Once again, the PTB moving the goalposts, because too many people are taking this route and getting grants. An easy way out of paying the grant AND their brown envelope buddies do not have to pay as much in FIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Sorry who is the PTB? And secondly how does this affect people getting grants? You don't get a larger grant for 6kW vs 5kW inverter ?

If ESBN has always defined micro generation as 25Amps at 230 V single phase then yes most 6kW inverter with output of 27-30kW is not within the limits set. The possible problem is they define it as 25 Amp (≈6kVA) and 6kVA is 6kW if power factor is 1. Hence installers and even the ESB themselves were allowing installs of 6kW inverters even though that is above their own limit.

No idea where you got the idea about paying less FIT and why need for any brown envelopes. Most of us with panels before FIT even became a reality were expecting FIT to be around 5 - 10 cent yet all the suppliers started out at a much higher FIT payment, some even increased their FIT offering after seeing price of competition!

Starting with the 2nd point first, unless you have a smart meter (which they are trying to force on everyone, and by checking very many sites and forums, can and are being manipulated to cause your usage to increase, unless you check EVERY detail (usage by ESBN does not correlate with your bill)), your FIT payment is based on deemed export, the calculation of which is based on the invertor (exact calculations etc, available on this forum), which means that if you are forced to use a smaller invertor, then FIT is less (MATHS 101), and of course the the increase of FIT payments ONLY happened in the 3 or 4 months before ESBN decided to ban 6KW invertors, how very coincidental , and at the same time, how very tempting for anyone to get a solar system, while at the same time suppliers have a 9-12 month lead-in time, again, how very coincidental.

Now, to your 1st point, like everything else in life the ESBN microgeneration is a living/growing thing, and definitions differed and grew along with this. The arbitrary limit of 25A output, was at one time ok, BUT ONLY NOW IN IRELAND has it become a thing. Funny now how installers/firemen/electrical contractors are not being killed willy nilly all over the world, coincidentally.

NO, once again this is a way for government not to pay grant, electric companies to pay less for FIT, and suppliers to screw you by stating that they cannot get the smaller invertors (or they can get them at a premium price).

This whole system is called a CARTEL

Does the 5kW inverter limit mean solar isn't still worth it in Ireland? No.

Limit is like having a strech of motortax with a 150km speed limit. Some trucks have a max speedlimit lower than that - engine won't let it go faster. They have a limit. Just means on that section it's possible to go faster but not for that truck. Back to solar. With the 5kW limit there are times your might have 7kW of output possible from the panels. But limit is 5.

Ideally we could export larger amouts more, not less. But I won't pretend to know the ESB limitations on the grid.

And people can go the NC7 route but costs 1k from what I read here. That is not worth it for most unless unless people are going big and they have South facing (as produces more).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 __Alex

That's helpful!

I accepted a quote last month for a 8 kW system including a Solis hybrid RHI-6K-48ES-5G, and it seems to be 27A. The sales representative didn't say anything about that, and I'm not sure everything will be ready before end of May (I still don't have an installation date) 😅.

Something unrelated: anybody knows what should be the spacing between panels and between panels and the edge of the roof? The sales representative told me there is plenty of space on my roof for 2 rows of 10 panels each, and I could even put more, but I have a doubt since the length of the roof is about 12 meters and panels will probably be Leapton 400W panels (1724mm*1134mm*30mm).

Thanks!

Dimensions: 1722 x 1134 x 30mm

Most are the same size. And no spacing between panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 __Alex

So we should be good, 11.34m < 12m, that gives a bit of additional space for between the first/last panels and edges of the roof. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Stupify

Got a quote for 10 x 400W panels and a Renac 4KW Inverter for 7,600 before grant, 5,200 after grant then.

Seems to be ok, can't really afford to put in more at the moment, should I wait until I can and then get a bigger system or just go with this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

might be worth asking for a 5kw inverter? doesn't seem to bad pricewise

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Stupify

5kw inverter just in case I install more panels down the line?

• Advertisement

That's the issue. I've locked in a price based on a 6kw Solis which has max output of 27amps. This is the first I've heard of this limit. The system wont be installed until Aug so what happens if, unaware of this limit, I go ahead with installation? Would I be forced to retrofit a 5kw inverter? Who would cover this additional expense? Also is an 8.4kwp system even possible with a 5kw invertor? Even though all of this stuff is double Dutch to me I had looked at it in the context of a 6kw invertor and it seemed OK. However what amazes me is that most professional installers didnt even want to discuss this issue...it'll be grand we'll work it out on the day! I can only imagine what will be said when I go back to raise this new issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement