Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Heya folks, probably been asked plenty of times but does anyone know of a good Solar PV supplier that will fit them in Sligo? Very hard to navigate through the SEAI contractor list. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I see what you did there.....I see. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭deezell

The scientologists could learn some mind game tricks from that lot. Only short of giving me a secret handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thoughts on the following quotation please? ...

System Info

So the system I am proposing is 12 panels.

5.0 kw solar pv system

12 x 420 watt Jinko panels

Van Der Valk mounting system

5kw Solis hybrid inverter

5kw Pure drive battery

Eddi diverter

BER

All associated electrics

Fully installed and commissioned

€11,650 ex vat

Grant of €2,400 available 6-10 weeks after install for the solar. So net cost after you get grant is €9,250.

The 5kw battery is €2,200 (Included in price above).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

i got 10 or 11 quotes and that is as good as any i got

Fairly decent quote that. I'd perhaps question the Eddi. Not so much that it's not a useful device, but with FIT it's often cheaper and financially better to heat your water on night rate (assuming you have a D/N meter) and export the excess energy during the day than it is to use the excess during the day via the Eddi to heat water.

I'd be more inclined to forgo the Eddi and get yourself 4x extra panels. (You can always add on an eddi later - it's nearly down at the self-install level)

"ESB, which lost out to cheaper rivals in the competition for offshore wind energy contracts last week, has said they shouldn’t be judged on price alone."

Quelle f***g Surprise. Their refusal to drop domestic kwh rates was simply a cash grab to buy the wind rights. Since when do consumers get raked as investors with no actual stake?

I don't follow. It's a free market economy. They put in their bids like everyone else. They lost = no business for them. Tough $hit for ESB. Maybe next time they'll lower their bid and win a contract.....or maybe not. That's the way the game works.

• Advertisement

If they had a monopoly on the bulk of wind and non renewables, they could have charged what they liked. They've just publicly stated the price is not important. It isn't when you can set it to the most expensive in Europe with impunity.

Sure - i get that, and the market has decided "Well screw you and the price you bidded - you lost the contract!" Next time come in with a better price or you'll lose again.

I mean I get what your saying about them stating "price isn't important" (the optics are poor), but if that's their attitude then they aren't simply going to win contracts and once this happens enough times, they'll either "cop on" or exit the marketplace due to lack of business. This is the free market economy at work, no? it's a good thing IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ctomas

Feel like I have a good quote here in Galway. 1 question. Is the 6kw inverter okay with sending power back to the grid? I thought I heard something about 5kw max

6.4kWp of modules kitted to a Renac 6kW String Inverter

16 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Tile Roof

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Renac 6kW String Inverter

Eddie hot water diverter

Costing

€9,550(No VAT Applied)

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€7,150 Final cost after grant incentive

Rules are changing. 6Kw is allowed to be installed up to and including the end of the month.

Micro-Generators (esbnetworks.ie)

Specifically..

In order to address the issue in a reasonable manner and ensure there is absolute clarity, we are now highlighting that we will continue to accept applications for units referenced as 6kW, but with a Rated Current (as per Type Test) of up to a maximum of 28A single phase, until 31st May 2023, however from that date on any units with a Rated Current (as per Type Test) over 25A will not be eligible for connection under the NC6 Microgeneration connection application route.

That aside, the quote you have there is very (very) competitive and I'd move fast on that one if I was you. If you can get it in and done/dusted before May 31st your all set.

If its going to be after that date, I'd "have a chat with the supplier".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

i can probably guess who that quote is from . Did you consider a system with battery from them?

Post edited by Citizenpain on

Thanks, it won't be after the end of the month as they are pretty busy. Maybe they just made a typo as we discussed a 5kw inverter I think.

Wasn't gonna go with battery due to budget, we are wfh and the payback from the electric companies.

Oh and I should say, we have a fairly big tank for immersion heating with the element down a good bit so thought the eddi would take some of the surplus. We are about a 4000 kw per annum house at the moment with oil heating the radiators and hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

Anything above 6Kwp is considered Mini-Generation (instead of Micro-Generation) and regulated by DOC-030221-GAP

The biggest difference is the staggering application fee of  €977.85 when submitting the NC7 form. Also the inverter must be 50549-1 compliant.

The application fee is a considerable cost that will inevitably impact the ROI if you are too close to the lower limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cogee88

Quote today; 10900 (8500 after grant).

Longi Solar Black, 10 panels, 4.1 kWp.

Solis Hybrid Inverter, 3.6 kW

Weco R20 Battery, 5.3kWh

I am in Dublin and have an east/west roof.

Thoughts? This is lower than the other quotes I have recieved, although the rule of thumb calculator still says to look elsewhere.

Is there much of a point to me adding an eddi diverter to this system? I have a 200L hot water storage tank which I heat with gas at the moment on a Vokèra 20kw indoor condensing gas boiler

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Anything above 25amps or 6kVA is considered mini generation, after the end of may.

kWp is generally a measure of how much solar panels you have.

You still could have 8kWp of panels on a 5kW inverter and that would be fine.

• Advertisement

I mean '6kwp' the output of the inverter. Sorry for causing the misunderstanding.

Anyways, almost €1k for a fee just to sell electricity is criminal and defeats the purpose of adding renewable electricity into the grid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Everyone needs to be careful of the units used. Especially as they are so similar and often confused, and when your quoting esb docs stick with the units used.

kVA isn't the same as kW, they are similar but not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Scrap the Eddi if it's just down to cost. Won't pay for itself.

But others here like it for the convenience of hot water on demand.

Without it you can even use the immersion on cheap nigh rate either. Assuming it is well insulated and holds the heat well.That has nothing to do with solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭TerraSolis

Folks - I think it would be pretty interesting to compare the quotes coming in before and after the VAT cut was announced with a thorough analysis. If I made an online spreadsheet would anyone be keen to help with data entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I did an NC7. The fee is really to cover the costs of assigning an ESB engineer to your case and have them do a site visit to assess if any upgrade works are needed to facilitate the MEC that you are requesting.

If additional works are needed; the cost could be considerably higher than the 970 euro.

but I agree if no works are needed on ESB side perhaps in that case the fee should be refunded.

its 400-500 euro for a standard service alteration like getting a meter moved / cable rerouted. And that would be considerably more work than an engineer assessing the MEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

What's the end game? As in what do you want to get from it?

If it shows that some haven't dropped their price by the VAT %, we on this forum can't influence that. Or could be that costs have gone up as price rises were coming anyway. As in that doc won't tell you 'why' prices have or haven't changed.

That sounds negative, but my life view these days is there is stuff I can influence and stuff I can't....

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭TerraSolis

To evaluate the policy!

There's actually a lot of background info and data available for PV cost drivers. For example, I have a trade account with two of the largest wholesalers - so I can tell you that equipment prices are coming down actually. Labour costs - not so much of course.

But that's besides the point - it's not about concluding or portraying something negative. It's an exercise in curiosity and citizen science.

Regarding lack of influence, I understand your position. Though you're assuming that none of us have any influence or reach and there's a wide variety of people on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cogee88

Thanks for your reply! Without an eddi then, do you think that price is reasonable?

It influences people not going for those quotes pocketing a VAT reduction, perhaps? If I know something is supposed to cost 1.5k less overnight but is actually not, I wouldn't make a deal on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Max I can fit is 12 panels (they will try fit a 13th on the day if they can).

The main driver for the Eddi is convenience ... have a busy house ... not sure a full tank would last the day ... and I am sick of policing the immersion switch! 😀

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement