Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Have emailed ESBN today, think I know what the answer is going to be lol.

Suprise suprise ESB don't have a NC6 form for our install from the end of March.

Another **** show by our installer to try and sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

You have to remember ESBN have "lost" a lot of NC6 forms sent in so it's possible the installer did send it in, but also possible they didn't bother sending it yet!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

True....although my experience of our installer so far doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. After sales service has been close to non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Who was your installer? Is it ok to post that here, if not would you mind PMing me? I wouldn't mind having a list of who not to approach

• Advertisement

No naming installers or asking for PM's allowed I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Go to Irish Solar Owners Group on fos bock and name and shame

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

Is this €1000.00/kwp rule of thumb still realistic nowadays?

I'm getting quotes for a 6.4kwp panels + 5kw hybrid inverter (no battery) around €11k, which is very far from the 'rule' above. Even if I quote a DIY setup this is difficult to stay around this limit.

Am I misunderstanding anything? Has prices of materials skyrocketed in the last 12 months or is it just another rip off show in the Irish market?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭deezell

They're just pulling figures out of their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

I thought the price had generally increased to 1200 euro per kwp. Although i see Solar Quote Analyser (davidhunt.ie) that is often recommended to people to check quotes still uses 1000 euro as base line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Problem with DIY is that you’re gonna be paying vat on the materials and you won’t get a grant; and you will still need to find a RECI electrician to sign your NC6. But say you’re aiming for 16 panels @ 200 euro each. That’s 3200. Another 1000 for the inverter. 500 for mounting gear. Another 250 for cable and isolation switches. Maybe you need to hire scaffolding?

You’re already at 5000 euro and you haven’t lifted a finger. So if you think your time is “free” then you can come in under the 1000 per kWp.

This price assumes your happy with the cheapest panels and inverters and can find someone who isn’t trying to make at least 4-5k on a 2 day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmy5694

Really interesting thread, surely it would be ok to post the supplier name as long as you have the quotations in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Mine was sent in and lost twice. Then on the third time it was sent it it was 3 months later and they still didnt process it for another month. I got no FIT for the 4 months that it was either lost or being processed. Only from then on.

16x 410W panels = €3566.00

5kw Hybrid inverter = ~€1000.00

Mounting gear = ~€700.00

Cables/Switches/Fuses = ~ €500.00(?)

PV Installation (2 guys full day) + Scaffolding hire = ~ €800.00

RECI Electrician = ~ €1200.00

TOTAL ~€7.7k

Still cheaper than any quote I've got so far even if grant was included. I do not qualify for the grant as the house was built in 2021.

Is the VAT elimination on panels/inverters only available for companies?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The zero vat is on supply and install.

The Vat registered business needs to install the solar system.

The way the VAT works is that a installer would buy the gear from a wholesaler, and pay VAT on that purchase. They would then quote an end customer, in which case they can currently use 0% VAT due to the recent change in law. It is then up to the installer to claime back the VAT that they paid when they purchased the gear. Details are in here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Services/solar-panels.pdf

I think you have the right idea, I forgot that new houses can't get the grant.

What gear is this? 222 per panel seems a bit high?

Have you found someone that will install the panels for you for 800? I don't begrudge someone working on a roof 400 euro a day TBH..

Did you find an Electrician? I managed to get the following done for 620 euro (3 lads - 4 hours work - they are local and have done other jobs for me recently). So 1200 seems high... I assume it would not be as complicated as my setup, so maybe 2 - 3 hours for 1 max 2 guys.

• Signed my NC6.
    • Installed dedicated new consumer unit beside inverter, which included running a 10mm and 6mm cable about 15M. (He provided this cable)
    • Ran the DC cabeling up the ducting from the ground mount (I supplied this cable)
    • Terminated the DC / installed DC isloator in new externally wall mounted meter box (meter box was done by someone else, i supplied the iso switch)
    • Ran the DC cable from the meter box to the inverter in the attic space.
    • Reconfigured my existing consumer unit to seperate my "normal" and "critical" circuits so I can run stuff if the grid fails.
    • We also ran 2 - 3 CAT6 cables for CT clamps and installed the power meter in the orignal consumer unit.
    • Installed a new plug for my internet so it will be powered "off grid".

Is that an off grid inverter, that runs regardless of a reference mains input, but is not connected onto your mains, or have you an on/off grid changeover arrangement?.

It's a Huawei Sun 2000 6kw with the huawei backup box (this is the bit making sure that we never feed back to the grid) and we did not install the "fireman" switch as people call them; so I can still use the panels if the grid fails. This is allowed as I have my DC iso switches accessible exernally / clearly identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

People need to realise this is rip off republic, the price gouging in the solar installation business is endemic,the grant money is pocketed by the installer for themselves, it does not benefit the house holder, in fact it distorts the market and makes grant aided installation higher IMO.

You got a pretty cheap price for quite a lot of electric work.

I'm unable to find anything near this. Every electrician I get in contact, when willing to work with something like this, charges a fortune for some 2h work to just connect an inverter to the mains and sign Nc6 form.

I could do it myself but I need someone to sign the bloody form, nobody will do it if they didn't install themselves.

The roof work I got a quote from a couple of construction work lads willing to take it. At least a full day work on my 7m high roof. I think it was an 'ok' price for this kind of dangerous job.

• Advertisement

That's this box?

https://etronixcenter.com/en/8174139-se047-huawei-huawei-backup-box-b0-for-1-phase-systems.html

According to spec it will work off grid to your selected circuits, your 'essentials' ring main say, isolated through the box, but it will return to grid tied when the mains power returns, so you can have the best of both. I had been thinking of fully off grid to my essentials, no mains grid tie in but the off grid inverter can be powered by panels and mains, providing a power route to the off mains ring when the panels aren't producing. A modest battery would give extra cover during a power cut, and all off grid means its not in any way feed in connected into the mains, just an occasional consumer of it. Once you'd have a specific loop of your house wiring isolated, and effectively on a three pin plug, its just another medium powered appliance, plugged into the off grid inverter which is powered by panels, a mains input to the inverter, a battery. Or even the DC output of my current 3kw standby generator. This is also diy possible once you get the panels mounted, and could be converted to tied in at any time by letting a registered sparks loose on it for a day. Its a plan of sorts that I'm entertaining.

'

That’s the unit. It basically sits between the consumer unit and the inverter; and also has a “backup” output.

The bit that it took some investigations to figure out 100% was that the “backup” output is always powered ( when on grid and also off grid). The only time it isn’t powered is for 1-2 seconds during the transition from grid to off grid and back.

I wanted something that was fully automatic that would work if we were away from the house. I have the fridge / internet / boiler / lights and kitchen sockets supplied from the backup output.

I tested it twice. Once at night and another time when the sun was out both Working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 njprrogers

Hey,

First dip of the toe into solar, just got a quote for installation of 10 panels, €9,233.50 (€11,633.50) after grant.

System details as follows:

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Got my first few quotes back, only really waiting on 1 from a local guy now. Think the Alpha system is looking like the one ill go with and will likely call them back on Tue to ask about a site visit

Quote 1

SOLIS 5G RHI Hybrid Inverter - 1PH DC (3-6k)

Solar Panels

16 x Jinko 430 Watt Panels (JKM430N-54HL4R ALL BLACK N-Type)

6.88 kW Total Solar Power

5,915 kWh per year

Battery

Puredrive Energy

5 kWh Total Battery Storage

1 x PSII-5kWh-BAT 10year warranty/6000cycle

€10,500 Net System Price

Without battery €7,900 Net System Price

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote 2 (sample)

Battery System (Alpha)

Alpha 5kWp Inverter

Solar Panels

16 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

6.4 kW Total Solar Power

Battery

Alpha ESS 10.1kWh storage

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

€11,600 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

1. Warranty Extension for the Alpha Inverter from 5 years to 10 years (Recommended): €350

2. EDDI Hot Water Diverter: €650

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote 3

SOLIS S5-EH1P(3-6)K-L

Solar Panels

14x Jinko 14 x 430 Watt Panels (JKM430N-54HL4-B)

6.02 kW Total Solar Power

5,141 kWh per year

Battery

Puredrive Energy

10 kWh Total Battery Storage

2 x PSII-5kWh-BAT

Eddi

€14,782 Net System Price

With one 5kWh Puredrive battery €11,482 Net System Price

Post edited by Stealthirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

Hi All,

Is this formula still accurate to use today??

Am seeing 3 x quotes for 10x430 Jinko (Tiger Neo N-type 54HL4R-B 420 W) + 1 x 5KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER come in at around the €9.5 k and based on that formula that is way too high...thoughts?

Thank in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

I paid 1600 per kWp a year ago. So never existed for me. But it's split across 4 small roofs which slowed install down.

I was OK with the price with an installer I trusted. I did the research and knew what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, totally accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

ok thanks. I'll keep going so, but would have thought type of panels (manufacturer) will play a part ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Was talking to Dave who wrote that price calculator as noticed he modified it to take into account the change in VAT. so its not using the same 1200 euro per kWh price point any more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement