Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

But most panels are 10ish amps, if it was a paralleled panels, it would be 20ish amps,

Solis, sofar, sunsynk (Deye), it's per mppt. It seems like the Huawei to be the outlier on that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

The only thing that makes me question that is if you look at the data sheet for the inverter they make it very clear that the 32A limit is split 16A per string.

I would have thought they would follow that same convention for the voltage of the same was the case.

interested to find the answer to this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

I've trawled through the Sungrow manual and took pics of anything referencing voltage limits, the three pics attached might give the answer. From my interpretation of it it appears that its per string without clearly stating so. I'll still wait to get a defenitive from Sungrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Have a look here in the inverter data sheet.

EN_DS_SH3.0RS_SH3.6RS_SH4.0RS_SH5.0RS_SH6.0RS_Datasheet_V123_20210906.pdf

Uploaded 7:48 am232.35 KB

It's fairly clear. PV voltage max 600, with MPP voltage range 40-560V, number of Independent MPP inputs, two and default 1 PV string per MPPT. Max current is 16/16, total of 32. That's 16A per string, so you shouldn't parallel two 7 panel strings per MPPT, as with those panels at 2 by 10.61A, = 21.12A , MPPT will only draw 16A , the current limit, you won't be able to pull all the power from the panels. You can connect a series of a single string of 14 per MPP giving 420V on each independent MPP under maximum optimal weather, well under the MPP operating range max of 560V, slightly over the optimised efficiency voltage of 360. and well under the safety max of 600V. The open circuit voltage of the panels, if the inverter MPP were not drawing any current, during a power outage say with no backup load, is stated as about 36 to 38V in the panel Data sheet. 14 panels will present 532V under normal operating weather conditions maximum, with no load, not exceeding the MPP max voltage for operation or the 600V absolute maximum. As soon as the inverter draws current from a PV string, the PV voltage drops, and the MPPT function is there to adjust current Ipv until Vpv by Ipv is a maximum. The inverters data sheet indicates about 360 V for this, but it will still efficiently draw the maximum current the string has to offer from a string voltage of 30.1V per panel, total of 420V. The data sheet is showing this data for all the variations of the inverter, the figures are in the column of the SH4RS, the 11 kw model, the SH5 can handle 12kw, so it's maximum output operating current draw by pv voltage would be higher, but those voltage and current max data figures still apply. You're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alan McG

Hi guys, looking for recommendations for solar installers. Most aren't replying, so I presume the ones that are are charging sky high prices.

Have a quote for €7,315 (pre grant) for a 3kWp system with hybrid inverter, Eddie and no battery. Seems high to me.

I'd like to get another few quotations, so if you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it if you could DM me.

Post edited by Alan McG on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Thanks deezell, I had the datasheet but I didn't have the knowledge to interpret all the info. Thanks for going through it and breaking it down for me.

If it wasn't for yourself, HotSwap anf graememk I'd still be only guessing and waiting to hear back from Sungrow, all the guidance and breakdown of the technical stuff is very much appreciated.

Solarcity parts calculator for 8 DeLonghi panels, fittings and Solis 3kw hybrid is €3045.

Add all the wire, switches, circuit breakers, cable and connectors, to complete, another €329. Add €480 for Eddie and €110 delivery, just under €4K before 0% VAT to the installer, less trade account discount, say 10%. So they'll get all materials for around €3600, and are adding €3700 for labour. Your grant will knock €2.1k off this. Seems a lot for the labour, but it is what it is, 50-50 is probably typical. If you buy the stuff yourself its €4k plus 23% vat, just under €5k, then you'd need to find a grant reg'd installer. Note: hybrid inverter adds a big chunk, an extra €800+. If you never get batteries, and just use Feed In Tariff and a standard inverter, you might be better off. You're not going to have much to spare from a 3Kw system, especially with an Eddie, to justify a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I have a mate that is looking at Solar from a nationally recognized provider that has a "tie-up" with one of the Electricity providers.

His annual usage is about €3200 euro a year = 5280 daytime units and 1320 night time units.

He was quoted a 5.6KW system (14 panels @ 400W ea.) Total Cost of system is 9.5K after grant and after "subsidys" like signage, pictures, referalls? etc.

(actual quote before grants (2,400) and subsidys (2,093) is €13,955 with ber incl)

System has no battery - but he could add a battery ready inverter for another 1.5K

The biggest part of the pitch has been the "tie-up" with the provider whereby he can get .34c FIT which they estimate at €2,872 per year based on 80/20 day/night usage.

Personally I am skeptical and will encourage a second or third quote - but was wondering what boards.ie thinks based on my 2 years old knowledge if getting quotes! Thanks in advance.

edit! : He also mentioned to me he is NOT at home at all during the daytime... so the FIT payback is what he is counting on - most of his generation will go to the grid.

He would get a far better price elsewhere for that sized system, he should look at other installers. That company is renowned for pressure selling and high prices.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I was expecting negative feedback on the quote. it is well above the formula on the FAQ. BUT not trying to be biased - is there anything to be said about the extra .10c FIT promised for the "tie-up". Hes not getting a battery - and i think that could be a good strategy.

What worries me is ive never heard anyone champion this deal before - no idea if its realistic. The quote is hand-written so no idea if there is anything binding in the arrangement. ie if the electric provider only pays him standard FIT rate - does he even have comeback? if they change their terms and conditions in the next 12 months and reduce his FIT - is he in anyway protected? Its all very sketchy to me.

EDIT! looks like the extra 10 cents FIT is only for 2 years: SSE Airtricity launches new first and best in market solar installation offering Yeah i knew it had to be 2 good 2 be true. :)

You need to do the maths and see if the 0.10c extra for 2 years is worth the extra cost of installation. Work out the system production here https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html and then do the maths on usage and what will actually be sent to the grid.

I would compare the rates to the rates here when you work out the usage and grid feedback https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html that's one of the best offers out there and can be signed up to online without issues but the offer does get taken down and renamed a lot. Flogas offer 0.24c FIT inc vat to compare the results.

If you're generous and say that this €11,900 non hybrid system quote is only €3000 above what you'd expect to pay, you're still looking at 15,000 units at the 10c extra FIT per year for the two years it lasts to recover this premium paid. That's expecting the 5kwh system to deliver 40 units/day FIT on average, full output for 8 hours per day summer and winter, which is impossible from a 5kw system. They're panhandling the 21-24c FIT that you'd get anyway into their calculations too, estimating that you'd have 23 unit per day FIT on average, which is still a stretch in our climate and winters from 5kwh system

You've effectively been overquoted by way more than the increased two year extra 10c FIT payment could ever deliver, by several times. No battery can be added either without upgrading the inverter. Get a quote for a 14 panel system, get your FIT at the average 21-22c from your utility, and do the sums once you have an idea of an average between the solstices. Their figures are smoke and mirrors, their sales pitch is almost scientology, and the 'subsidies' are a fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Will he be on a smart tariff? What are they charging per unit? Without a battery he will be pulling power back from the grid at peak times in the winter; and also during the summer when the panels are not satisfying the demand of the house.

so sure he will be making a lot from the export; but he will also potentially be paying a lot back for peak rate units; eroding his profits / pay off.

if he added a battery; he could charge it every night; and put himself in the best position to max out export every day. And also not have to buy back peak rate units.

I feel with a 10-15 kWh battery and a 34c fit I could put a serious dent in my original outlay (but I did DIY install).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

has anyone got a quote from ***** lately? for maybe a 6.5 - 7KW system with a 5kw Battery ?

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Do these guys still exist? I haven't been able to get through to them for months and months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Do the lads in Enniskillen still operate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

i got solar installed 6 weeks ago from another large(st) energy supplier. Roughly the same size, I managed to fit 13 x 430w panels, eddi hot water diverter and non hybrid solis inverter. Price before grant was €9113. Not locked into any contracts but I’m with the supplier anyways and their night boost rate works well (so far) in that has 22c night rate, 12c boost rate (2-4am) and 42c day rate but what sold it was they don’t charge higher peak rates. Peak rates are grand during brighter months but I’d imagine you’d get hammered during winter for 5-7pm usage. Also 21c export rate is ok I guess. Again, not tied into this energy supplier.

the way I’d look at it, if they export 40%, they will save €260 per year while this 34c FIT is live (assuming other suppliers stay at same level). That’s €520 “savings” over the 2 years of this fixed contract. But the upfront cost is €4400 more expensive so does not make sense.

also, the lads that installed for my electricity supplier are in the game a long time and I remember the electrician said the company had installed over 15,000 systems so it doesn’t always have to cost more to get quality and experience.

There is a Flogas offer on day/night with 33.38c day and 14.75c night rate so depending on your usage times have a look and see if you could save. https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html Just don't ring if you are thinking of switching because they will probably tell you you can't get that offer. Do it online.

Decent enough 24hr rate also of 30c, not sure what 'Community ' means, but if you look up their standard rates, no contract time for Smart, Its;

Day. 53.62

Peak. 63.42

Night. 41.79

Standard 24hr is 62.27.

WTF?

I have yet to see a competitive smart rate by any provider, that's why people need to look around and see what's on offer. The switcher thread is one to bookmark. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058235650/switching-electric-gas-providers#latest for the best offers out there. Back to quotes here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Anybody with recommendations for a supplier/installer in the Cork region, could you please PM me?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No requests for PMs please. Thread descends into a farce otherwise.

Installers that other Boardsies have used is here:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rover365

Hi All,

In the process of getting some quotes and would appreciate anyones thoughts.

Quote 1:

14 x 425W Jinko panels 6.0kWp

Kstar Hybrid Inverter

Eddie

Kstar 5.1kWh Battery

€10,500 (€8,500 excl battery) after grant (€11,800/ €8,300 using huawei hybrid inverter and battery)

Quote 2:

14 x 435W Hyundai panels 6.1kWp

Kstar Hybrid Inverter

Eddie

Kstar 5.1kWh Battery

€11,900 (€9,900 excl battery) after grant (€13,700/ €10,200 using huawei hybrid inverter and battery)

Both the above quotes from 1 supplier (national comparison company) I am going to ask them to update the quote for a larger system (approx 8KW). Does anyone have an opinion on the hyundai panels over the jinko. Im not sure yet if I will go with a battery so will stay clear of the huawei system as I understand you have to use their batteries with their inverter.

The David Hunt comparison is telling me that it is over priced

Quote 3:

21 x 420W Jinko panels 8.82kW

Solis Inverter

5.2KWh Weco battery

€12,200 + 750 for eddie - after grant

They note €450 for any additional panels and €2,500 for additional 5.2KW battery (Need to check if this is the cost of battery incl above)

This seems more reasonable based on the David Hunt tool.

Any thoughts welcome especially on the components quoted.

All on south facing roof. Both me and the wife work from home full time and will get an EV in the next couple of years. Hot water is currently heated via LPG Tank gas

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ctomas

Day 1 of solar PV. Weather very overcast but great to see it going. West of Ireland,

6.5kwh panels, 5kw inverter, no battery, with eddi

Thats a really useful graph, minimum of graphics but all the info you could want. Is the base line for imported the x axis or is laid on top of the consumed gen graph? The daily figures are clear anyway.

Decent saving of about €5 for your first day, SEAI calculator would estimate 8kwh/day on average over the year, €1200 per annum if paying 41c/ unit, for a 5kwh oversized system. (inverter will only output 5kwh, but 6.5kwh peak of panels will extend the output hours and days at 5kwh output. Should heat your immersion most of the year.

https://www.seai.ie/tools/solar-electricity-calculator/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement