Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ah then go for it, grant does need a NC6 as part of the paperwork, so that could restrict you as new nc6 = you fall into the new rules

The 5.5 sunsynk comes in just under the 25 amps output too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

I'd be curious to see the insurance estimate and quotation for repair, I.e, direct replacement with same or equivalent, and a quotation for the same replacement, plus BER and grant certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

The 5kW limit has nothing to do with the grant. If you already have a 6kw inverter and already submitted an NC6 before May; then you are fine to replace that with another 6kwh unit.

ESB don’t accept that configuring the inverter to export less than its capacity to be a valid way of protecting the grid. They are planning for a situation where there is some failure of your equipment.

if you already got a grant once before your not going to be able to get one again for an insurance job. Not sure if this is what your asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Didn't get a grant for the initial install so hopefully going to use it this time. Place was underinsured (Everyone should check their insurance regularly!!) so looking at ways of recovering any differences.

Out of curiosity, how did house insurance cover an inverter, lightning strike? or did it go on fire? Insurance Averageing is the oldest trick in the book. If you only value your important contents, but they include everything, then you've only insured half that value, they only pay half the claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I wanna know too :) Should I be mentioning that I have solar to my home insurance provider.

It would come under buildings as its installed, which is a lot less to insure per €K than contents. You wouldn't need to list it, just make sure your rebuild cost for entire house was sufficient to actually replace all fittings and infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

I notified mine when the renewal was up. Told them it cost something like 12k. No extra cost to the policy. I assume that was because the cost of the policy covers a rebuild cost band of between x and y to rebuilt.

I asked them to note it on the policy in case of a fire or they could say I was in breach as didn't inform them of a major change to the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Apologies if this should be in a different thread.

out of contract and trying to figure out are there any tools out there to help decide which elec tariff to go with.

flogas flat rate of 30c Vs going with an ev plan .

6kw system . 10k battery and use 5000kw per year . Don’t have an ev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Flogas https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html and Waterpower are the best out there afaik, Flogas is a fixed 1 year rate and Waterpower is a variable rate. Not sure what the best smart plans are, I think Flogas have one but can't find the link. Have a read through a few pages here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058235650/switching-electric-gas-providers/p123

I think a few here that had the cheap Energia plan with EV's went with the Flogas day/night plan. Only sign up to the Flogas offer online, people who ring usually get told the offer isn't available.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Had a good look today and because I have gas as well the flogas community plan looks cheapest . Pinergy ev rate is great but they don’t do gas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

I have a 4.2 system with a 5kw inverter but looking to get more panels and a battery. The company who installed the system say they can fit about 4 more on the roof. So thinking about the possibility of a ground mounted system is this possible to work with the roof system? And would I be looking for quotes for a let's say 5kw ground system would it cost more or less as I don't need an eddi or the inverter is already in place? I know the ground system usually is about 1700 for the ground work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Can anyone give me their opinion on this quote below (10,600 after grant) or let me know how much I should be looking to pay for a system like this?

cheers

Installation of 6kw solar system

14 430 watt jinko panels

5kw Huawei Hybrid inverter

Eddi

Huawei 5kwh battery with BMS

You’re kinda stuck with the 5kWh inverter now since you didn’t apply to have a 6kwh unit before the recent change in rules from ESBN.

Your existing 4.2 system + the 4 extra panels would bring you to 5.8 kWh. This is not an issue for the existing inverter. Especially if all the panels are not pointing in the same direction.

Then if you’re talking about having an additional 5kWh ground system your total panels would be 10.8. Which is too much to connect to a single 5kWh inverter.

Technically you can just install another inverter to handle these additional panels; but you would not be keeping within the current agreement that you have with ESBN.

There are other options that would let you have inverter capacity above your current 5kWh; if you’re interested let me know. I have a 10kWh inverter in one property fully compliant with ESBN blessing. But they are not cheep options.

Others here might have a different spin on this. Interesting to see what others think is the best option here as I’m sure several of us would like to have more panels and inverter capacity at our homes without additional expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Would an off grid inverter hooked to a battery shared with a hybrid inverter be bending the esbn rules a bit. And if they shared the ground as a dno ground will usually be better than banging a spike into the ground, is that going a bit far?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If it's not connected to the grid, it's not connected to the grid.

I'd have my own earth rod for it tho.

Although you'd just be better off with a charge controller, you don't need hybrid to just charge the battery.

It’s not bad but I have similar size sys no Eddi but 10k battery for similar price . Keep shopping round

The Sungrow SH5.0RS inverter seems particularly suited to retrofit an existing on or off grid system to. It has an off grid circuit isolation system, which both provides for off grid backup operation of chosen circuits, supplying power during mains failure, and the intake of an on or off grid existing solar system with load management. Have a look at section 2.7 for wiring configuration, and also 6.4 for earthing arrangements for grid supplied earthing or local neutral tied earthing. There should be sufficient information here to complement local installation practices.

For further reference fig. 2 in section 2.3 of this link below has a diagram that illustrates the arrangements for tied neutral and earthing arrangements. The article is a bit technical, (to say the least), but a picture paints a thousand words as they say

https://www.scirp.org/html/4-6401053_6647.htm#:~:text=1)%20TT%3A%20transformer%20neutral%20earthed,earthed%2C%20frame%20connected%20to%20neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 maxymo

Can multiple inverters be connected in a house? I asked this to a person who came survey for solar panel installation and he said not, which I was surprised. It would be good for future expansion in the capacity to avoid change the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

You can have multiple inverters BUT with NC6 the combined MEC of all the inverters is still 25A. That could be 4 x 1KW inverters if you wanted! As I got my install + update to install prior to new 25A limit , I have a 5kW inverter and 1kW inverter.

Yea. If you want more than 5kWh of capacity you need to apply to ESB via NC7 method; which allows you to connect more but has a fee associated with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kachukas

Hi. Looking for some help please. I've tried to read as many posts as possible to inform myself but just want to run it passed ye to double check.

My situation.

80sq m bungalow with East/West roof. Usually heat water with oil. Have an 30 KW EV which is away most of the day til 4pm.

I want a system that will be able to cater for car charging (through the night is usually when I do it) heat water and give back surplus (if any to grid)

What I'm thinking:

22 panels

2 x 3kw batteries (or similar)

Eddi

Invertor

I have a Circontrol eNext charger for my EV....will I need a new one?

My house is small......so hoping to store batteries etc in attic...is there any issue doing this?

Should I be looking at anything else?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

I’ve E\W setup and an EV.

Car: If the car isn’t home until 4pm, it’s not going to charge from solar really. After 4pm you’ll have spare excess really only in for a few months (May-Aug). Zappi is the usual solar aware smart charger (there are some others). ~1.5k supply and fit and won’t get grant assuming you got it before. So could save that money and get a cheap night rate slot to charge the EV. Current charger won’t need to change.  No reason you can’t add the Zappi a year down the line. Won’t be extra cost to you.

Surplus: If you’ve a smart meter, you get paid FIT for surplus to grid. So there’s a strong argument to not have a ‘divertor’ like Eddi or Zappi (for car charging). People with Eddi’s hear confirm they won’t break even – but beneficial for them to have hot water when needed.

You can get paid ~20c FIT per kWh (ok, that can change of course) and then ‘fill’ those devices on check night rate (via immersion on a timer, and car on timer). If you’ve a well insulated and large water tank, running the immersion at night should hold the temp. You can try that now before you get solar to see. If night rate is close to FIT rate, there is no loss to you running stuff at night and getting paid FIT for excess (well, there’s a tax liability on FIT above €200 per named adult on your electricity bill).

Btw, best not to constantly charge a large car battery (30kWh for you) with small house ones. You’ll get ~20% electrical losses on each battery, so wasting your juice. And wear and tear on the house battery.

Size: IMHO, must have is an many panels as you can afford and roof can take. Nice to have for me is Eddi, Zappi (for you has have a charger already), house battery (I’d love one but funds weren’t there and not the end of the world not to have it).

West gives evening sun so it ye get home from about 4pm (when you start to use energy), get a larger West than East if you can. Most houses tend to use less in morning if people are leaving for school and work.

I’m live 1 year. I heat 2 rooms from electric rads instead of needing the full house to be heated. Perfect for Oct + March + April when it’s cooler but not cold. So larger means you have spare to use elsewhere. And outside summer when there is less output (as less light), a larger system produces more. You’ll have oodles spare in summer and get paid FIT for that. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

"Btw, best not to constantly charge a large car battery (30kWh for you) with small house ones. You’ll get ~20% electrical losses on each battery, so wasting your juice. And wear and tear on the house battery."

What you say about the losses of charging a car this way is right. But for some people their car will not be at home during the day. For me it might be at home one day a week at most.

So if the battery and solar setup is right it is doable to do all of your EV charging this way in the better months. But I'm currently on a deemed export so metered FIT would change this as you say above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Charlie42

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kachukas

What do you think of this quote?

12 x SunPower P6 405w panels        €10095 (inc 5KW Hybrid inverter and all fittings)

BER certification                       €395

Total price                          €10490

Grant Reduction.                     -€2400

Cost to install.                       €8090

(Premium 4.84kWp South facing PV system, BER, battery-ready).= 4600Kwhs+ p/year

Eddi + €790 which I think I will get.

Also considering a 5kw battery @ €4850

It's the first quote in writing and not a "back of the fag box" quote as one of the installers said......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Over the guidelines http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ and that battery price is daylight robbery.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

almost 400 Euros for a BER? More robbery.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement