Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

The additional cost of the 23 optimisers is adding about 1000 euro ex vat cost onto the build. But I don’t think you can get this many panels without them. So it’s probably worth it. Others might have some opinions on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Please explain the optimisers vs the inverter, as to my reading all panels are on south aspect, with no shading, and my understanding was that optimisers are used to counter-act shading of some panels

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Nothing to do with shading in this case. When you use a fully optimised setup it allows 200% oversizing of the panels with the Huawei solution.

23x 425W panels would otherwise be too much for the 5kw inverter to handle.

Nothing to do with shading in this case. When you use a fully optimised setup it allows 200% oversizing of the panels with the Huawei solution.

23x 425W panels would otherwise be too much for the 5kw inverter to handle.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Playing devils advocate here.

What if the installer used a brand other than Huawei, Straight inverter, Eg Sofar, Solis for example, 12 and 11 panels are well under the voltage limits.

Wouldnt need optimisers either, just a string of 11 and a string of 12. Would save a bit on the inverter, and also on the optimisers.

That being said, Installers like working with what they like and trust. unlikely able to get them to change.

It is a good quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I'm guessing 12 midday on a sunny day there would be a truckload of clipping ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

not necessarily. Without a battery yes. But with a battery the inverter can push 5kWh to the grid and also charge the battery with any surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Thanks, I didnt know of the reduced grant rates from next year. I may as well push on with it this year in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Looking at the inverter and panel specs, the max input voltage per string of 600v will not be exceeded with the 12 or 11 panel strings. Max open circuit voltage per Jinko panel is 38.75, so 12 panels under no load will have only 465v max. Under MPPT delivery, this will drop to in the region of under 33v/panel, with the panel max current (13.21) limited to 12.5A per string by the Huawei. Expect max panel output about 400w as a result.

The inverter can supply 5kw to grid and 5kw to a battery, if you get one. So if the battery is charging your system will supply about 9.2kw max to both. On a sunny day with little domestic consumption a 5kw battery will charge in little over an hour, after that system is limited to 5kw max to the grid.

I don't see the need for optimisers. The system is oversized by about 80%, voltages are well below input max, panels will be marginallly below max output as the string input max current is 12.5A, slightly below panel MPPT max of 13.21. This oversizing will give greater scope for extended max FIT, but on high output days will clip by 4 of a possible max of 9kw. Even if domestic consumption is high at this time the 'lost' capacity is not available to FIT.

You might consider a different inverter which can off grid over capacity when it's available, and give you valuable power backup in the event of mains outage. The Sungrow is one such inverter, allowing you to split your home into on and off grid circuits, and will switch off grid circuits to on grid during no solar input. The switching is built into the inverter, you could have the excess over 5kw going to household loads, fridge, immersion, while sending a full 5kw to FIT. Have your installer look at the 5kw version of this model.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I agree with this. I keep forgetting the max voltage is per MPPT. Good write up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Shoog

Hi,

Just received my first quote for solar PV install, what do you think. Sounds about right to me.

10 x TSM-420DE09R.08 420 Watt Panels (Trina Solar Co., Ltd.)

1 x X1-HYBRID-3.7-D (SolaX Power)

1 x T-BAT-SYS-HV-3.0 (SolaX Triple Power)

1 x ZAPPI-207TB, 1 x EDDI-16A1P02H

Price would be €10,013.94 before grant.

This would amount to an effective 3kw install since the panels would be arranged in three blocks with some on the East, some on the south facing gable and some on the West face.

Peak anticipated production on a May day would be 16.7kwh with Jan peak of 3.6kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Got two quotes was told that my setup would be straight forward for them as the house where the panel would go is south facing, can fit over 20 if I wanted, bungalow has a garage where all electric for the house are a couple of meters from the solar panels and the smart meter all connects to the same wall in the garage. Any thoughts on below.

Quote 1:

14 x 430w JA panels Monocrystalline = 6kwp system

Inverter –Solis 5kw hybrid 1x 5kw Solis inverter with wifi dongle

Mounting Kit- Renosol roof mount As Required

Check Meter- 1x check meter 

All required Electrical Work 1x DC ISOLATOR

1x AC ISOLATOR

1x Fireman switch

Batteries- Dyness 1 x 5.1kwh Dyness battery

Solar Switch- for heating hot water through the solar panels with surplus 

power 1 x Eddi

EV Charger- MYENERGI N/A

All required Paperwork for commissioning the system

Included Customer to get own BER post Install

Price after receiving grant is 9,500 euro

Quote 2:

14x Autarco 400Wp full black half-cut multi-wire mono crystalline solar modul

1x Autarco 4600W inverter with DC switch

Wifi stick for remote monitoring of system through mobile app 

Battery : No

EDDI : No

BER : Yes

Mounting Kit- Yes

Price after receiving grant is 7,300 euro

Kind Regards

Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

quote 1 - does it include a latest version MyEnergi Zappi EV charger? if so, that's a great quote imo.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Doesn't it say "EV Charger- MYENERGI N/A", Not Apllicable or Not Available? Remember all systems are 5kw max to the home and grid combined unless you have a battery charging from the excess, or a partial off grid. The additional panels serve mostly to extend your lower light performance either side of midday, oversizing in other words. Realistically you should calculate the cost per kw based on 5 divided into the price of your system with 5kw of panels, deducting approximately €400/panel for excess or oversize panels, and deduct the battery cost of the first quote, €2200?This makes both quotes before grant about €9700, €8900 for the first 12 panels, a 5kw system, or €1780/kw. Seems a lot to me. Perhaps some might think €400 per additional panel is not a high enough estimate, but I'm doubling the additional materials costs to get this figure. Installers might differ, I'd be interested to know what the response to a request for an extra 2 or 4 panels adjacent to the quoted array would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Hi All

Just got a quote for €9600 (€7200) for 4.8kwh system (Jinko x11 and Solis 3.6kwh)

No eddi

No battery (but wired to take one in future)

I tried the solar quote analysis but am confused by the ex vat business. Do I take out the VaT

from the quote (ie 9600x.79)-2400 or is it 9600 which is the cost to me -2400?

It's giving me recommended guide price of 5100 after grant which would be 7500 which is almost 2k lower than the

quote. Am I correct in saying this is a very high quote?

P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There is currently 0% vat on solar installs if that is any help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

long time lurker but finally got the cash together to purchase . I got my first quote today. I probably use about 300-350 units per month. No EV. No electric showers. No heat pump. Existing solar thermal system. South facing but other options. Work from home 2 days. Smart meter installed. Plan in the future to get a EV

10 x 430w jinko panels 

Solis 5 kw hybrid inverter with Wi-Fi dongle

5kw dryness battery

Check meter 

Mounting kits

Dc isolator 

Ac isolator 

No Eddie

Fireman’s switch

BER myself

install -6-8 weeks

Total €10750

€8350

Does the quote look competitive?

am I missing anything?

Do I need to get more panels ? . I didn’t indicate the amt required. Do they survey the roof? I have loads of roof space but not sure how much I can get on the south facing roof as veluxs and thermal take up some space.

thanks in advance

colm

Post edited by P2C on

Use this as a guideline http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ People say get as many panels as you can on install because it costs much more to add them later.

How come you use so little power? You’re way below average. Is this likely to increase in the future? Heatpump? Ev?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

checked that and I had put a 2 instead of a 3. Thanks c

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Hi, I got the following quote, I was hoping somene knowledgeable on this might evaluate it for me. There doesnt appear to be a battery in the quote so if I should be getting one please let me know. Many thanks

430w Jinko neo n-type panels 10

System kw size 4.3kw

Inverter type 5kw SOFAR STRING INVERTER

Battery size 0

GROUND MOUNTS FRAMES 0

Ballast system FLAT ROOF frames 10

Van der valk roof mounts 0

Extra cable 0

EDDI hot water diverter ( IMMERSION ) 0

Optimisers 0

Ber certificate 1

Zappi 7kw charge point 0

Sub MCB board 1

price @ 0%VAT €8000.00

DEPOSIT €4,000.00

REMAINDER ON INSTALL €4,000.00

GRANT TO BE CLAIMED BACK €2,400.00

So it’s more like 300-350 kWh per month? It’s still low. Just wanting to best advise you; and understanding your usage is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

Hi I got this quote this morning, guy was giving me a hard sell saying he'd try to get me money off if I put a deposit down today so made me wary.

The details of the system that we propose is listed below:

This is a 5.60kwp system and will produce 5670kwh annually.

Approx. potential savings of €2,438.10 if calculated at .43c a kwh.

This is without taking into account the savings on charging up your battery on the cheaper tariff if you go with the battery system.

The ECO PREMIUM PACK will include the following: 

•   14 x 400w panels 

•   Hybrid inverter 

•   5kwh battery storage 

•   My Energi hot water diverter 

•   Roof mounting equipment 

•   All labour works

•   All electrical testing and commissioning 

•   Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

•   BER 

RRP

€ 13,600.00 Cost. 0% VAT Offer

€ 2,400.00 SEAI Grant

€ 11,200.00 Final Cost to Customer.

Hi All,

I have got 6 quotes now for basic 5.6kw system installed, no Eddi or battery. Not one quote is coming in near the upper end of the calculator valuation. I have even tried the Enniskillen provider. Is the calculator correct for the current market.

If you look back over the last couple of pages people are getting close if not better than the guideline price. It's only a guideline though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

are your quotes higher than the upper end you mean?

• Advertisement

Yes every quote is well above the upper end. I have been told mine is a straight forward install for them, bungalow, garage where fuse board is and smart metre, south facing, minimal amount of scaffolding etc. Still prices are way off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement