Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Getting panels installed by a company and its taking quite the while.

On the day of the panel install they said we need a "tails upgrade".

It then takes three weeks for them to come out to do that.

When they eventually get here they look at the fuse box and say "we can't do the tails upgrade without the ESB on site". (even though I asked them if the ESB needed to be here when they do that)

So that day they "submitted their cert" to Safe Electric and "have to wait up to two weeks" for them to give us the all clear to call the ESB to schedule a call out.

Am I being spun a yarn or is that the process?

Almost six weeks since they put the panels on the roof now.

Thanks

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

ESBN are the only ones that can upgrade the tails AFAIK. Mine needed doing as well and took about 2 weeks for them to do it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

Anything to do with the meter has to be done by ESB networks. It is an offence for an electrician to break the seal.

ESB networks will only do works on the meter, if the house is up to code and they have a SAFE cert.

Thanks guys.

Does the "it takes two weeks for Safe Electric to process a cert only when they do that you can call ESBN to arrange them to come out" sound reasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Related advice: when they are doing the job; don’t let them run the new tails directly from the meter to the consumer unit. You will have no way of safely totally isolating your unit indoors. Make sure they install an additional dual pole rotary isolation switch and also an MCB inline on the live.

it should look like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

We've had a quote of €6300 for a 4.3 kWp system, no battery.

I've put the numbers into David Hunt's calculator which indicates it's excessive ("€1400 beyond what I'd consider ballpark, and €110 beyond the upper limit of value. Look elsewhere."). But I don't know whether that calculator is up to date with current costs.

Also, I've tried the SEAI calculator which maybe indicates a payback period of 8 years. But I'm not sure what they mean by their Question 5 "please enter the amount here (total cost excluding the SEAI grant but including VAT)". Do they mean after the grant has been subtracted, or before?*

Here's a list of the hardware. What do you think?

• Panels
      • Jinko Solar Co., Ltd.
      • 4.300 kW Total Solar Power 
      • 10 x 430 Watt Panels (JKM430N-54HL4R-B)
      • 3,527 kWh per year
    • Inverter
      • Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
      • 4.000 kW Total Inverter Rating
      • 1 x SUN2000-4KTL-L1

Eco-Smart Energy Diverter

• 3.68 kW eco-smart energy diverter
    • 230V AC Single Phase
    • Rated Current - 16A
    • Stand Power Consumption - 3W
    • Weight - 4.3 kg
    • 1 x Eddi

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

The smaller the system the more expensive it seems. Fixed costs like 2x installers, scaffolding/hoist etc, cost the same for a 4.3 system as they do for a 14.3 system.

Huawei items are expensive and limit you to their or LG batteries

Is EDDI really needed?. Compare cost of heating now.

The 1 x SUN2000-4KTL-L1 is a hybrid inverter suitable for battery useage, a non-hybrid is a few hundred cheaper

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

Received a quote of €10,573 (before grant of €2,400) for the following - David Hunt calculator stated that 'Your quote of €8173 is at the lower end of the recommended range. Go for it.'

Wondering whether I will be able to sell to the grid with this set-up?

Also, I have a Ideal Logic Combi gas boiler which provides instant hot water - I've no hot water cylinder so presumably I will have to have a hot water cylinder re-installed to avail of the hot water heated through solar panels.

Modules- 430w Jinko panels with 25-year product warranty and 30-year linear power warranty: 12 x 430w Jinko panels Monocrystalline = 5.1kwp system 

Inverter –Solis 5kw hybrid: 1x 5kw Solis inverter with wifi dongle

Mounting Kit- Renosol ground mount: As Required

Check Meter- 1x check meter

Scaffolding: As required

All required Electrical Work 1x DC ISOLATOR; 1x AC ISOLATOR; 1x Fireman switch

Batteries- Dyness 1 x 5.1kwh Dyness battery

Solar Switch- for heating hot water through the solar panels with surplus power

1 x Eddi

BER not included

Don't even consider reinstalling a HW cylinder. The FIT on the unused pv output that might otherwise go to an immersion will more than cover the cost of gas at about 10c/kwh to heat water. Bad enough spending €600 on an Eddie, without an extra €3000 for a modern double skinned tank plus install. You'd end up mostly heating it with gas in the winter anyway, as your entire daily winter output from a 5kw system (assuming, incorrectly, that the Eddie could scavenge only this from you pv output to the immersion), will generate 4kwh at a push on an average winters day, about enough to heat 69L of 10° cold water to 60°. Average family of 4 needs about 250L of HW daily in winter. Putting in an Eddie barely makes sense. Adding in a cylinder is non sense.

Post edited by deezell on

• Advertisement

Thanks, makes sense. So I'll strip the Eddie from the quote but will need to add the cost of hiring a Cherry Picker for access to my roof (~€400).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chatb0x1

Can anyone please advise on the equipment below. Im thinking of going with company1 as they are around longer and good after sales.

I didn’t give exact numbers on yrs and reviews as maybe identifiable.

my usage is 3800kw a yr and I have a gas boiler and immersion so not sure if eddi is worth it to me - thank you

Post edited by chatb0x1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

That quote seems to be for a (or at least mentions) ground mounted system

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

I take it you're referring to 'Mounting Kit- Renosol ground mount: As Required'. I suppose it won't be required. The installer indicated there would be additional charge for the cherry picker to access my roof so based on that I think its clear the quote is for a roof mounted system.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

You'll never be able to hide who company number 1 is 🤣 I went with the other system they supply with a battery so can't comment on the web/app interface available for Renac (I do have an additional 1kW Renac inverter but have never used online monitoring as it is handled via my existing system)

Otherwise have been very happy with them and after sales - had them back to fit additional battery and also to fit Zappi (plus more panels and 1kW inverter as mentioned above)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Hi there

Just got a quote recently and I think it's very high

10 Q cell 400w

String invertor

Eddi

Installation etc

Ber

Price after grant is deducted is 8200

But the positive is there is a 2 year agreement for excess to be bought back at 34c which I think is decent. So there is a bit of a return on investment with that.

Run away! It's about 2500-3000 overpriced. You can get a lot of units off a different supplier for that and get paid over 20c FIT.

Look at the quote a few posts above yours #5857 to give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Thanks for the advice

Yes it is expensive.

Alot of quotes for jinko panels any disadvantage of them as they seem cheaper.

The quote you mentioned is very good.

Tho noticed that companies who give the quotes aren't mentioned by name.

No naming companies allowed on the thread I'm afraid, but there is a list of installers here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest where people used companies. The Jinko panels are well known so you shouldn't have any issues. Only cowboys will use sub standard panels so you should be well able to spot them!

• Advertisement

We are six weeks into a job that is turning into a nightmare.

Waiting on a tails upgrade.

Was told there wasnt enough space on the fuseboard and this was their solution (the white box underneath)

Should I be asking for this to be redone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chatb0x1

cant name them and I have spent a few weeks looking. Best advise I can give is the companies do not have to be local and google reviews was also helpful to me.

The wiring (from the inverter?) Is just draped over the ESBN terminal area, shocking untidy and probably will be flagged by the report. If you get a smart meter installed, free, you could have a 100a tails switch and breaker ready to go, the meter installer will just tail to this, then your guys have a safe connection point for the new tails from consumer unit(s) to this breaker after the new meter. No need for all the other reports and waiting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Esbn service upgrade (to 80 amps is 2k!) Is 2k + whatever you need to recertify the house.

There's not enough space for the solar, and the extra box is usually the solution.

Otherwise possibly a full consumer unit change.

Have you been offered a smart meter change yet?

@allinthehead you've more experience than I would have, but is that screw in fuse acting as the DNO head. (Also is this one of the cases where neturalising is an issue?)

As your getting the tails done, there is also a point of doing it right, eg DNO head(esbn fuse), Smart meter, and isolator. There isn't space in that cupboard for that.

Yes it was "fine" up until now, but it's not great.

Thanks for that.

Smart Meter should be installed early November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Quote received through my electricity provider subcontractor:

8x430w Jinco

"myenergi" Eddi Diverter

€7,380 (taking off grant 2,220 = €5,160)

I'm clueless, thoughts appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Yes, I believe that's Esbn's fuse. Regarding the neutralising, it's hard to tell from the picture but it will be picked up with the change of tails.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

So got a load of quotes a couple months ago. Not sure what to think.

One lad was honest enough to tell me since I wasn't getting the grant he could use an extra 100mm of roof space to get an extra row up.

His system

6.4kwp( 15 x 430)

Inverter(Hybrid)

Nothing else. 10k

The rest of the quotes were basically the same, multiple 8K/8.5K quotes for a 4.4kw system with no battery or eddi. Is this standard?

Also, is the hybrid inverter actually required? Am reading about AC coupling in ordinary inverters that solves the problem.

EDIT: I was actually also quoted 10k for a 5KW version of the same system from one of the most well regarded companies mentioned by folks on here. They making a killen?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Hi All,

I have a deposit on the below system with a while. Ive pushed the install date out as ive added batteries in the mean time.

Specification: Jinko 415W Mono (or equivalent) X 20, Solis Hybrid Inverter, Dyness 5KWH Battery X2, , Renusol Mounting Kit

However In the meantime they have run out of the 5.1kwh Dyness battery and will be replacing with the below 4.8

Just looking for any comments or feedback on any of the brands used here? Thanks

Mod: moved to quotes thread

Post edited by graememk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

What are they putting in that new garage board (the white box)? Power meter?

i can visually identify 3 spare ways in your board. They could use one of them to install a circuit to the location where the inverter is located and then installed that white box beside the inverter if needed.

Did they install anything new into your existing consumer unit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement