Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

the edge spacing for panels is actually a requirement for the planning exemption for solar PV on residential properties. If you go to close to the edge you technically would need to get planning permission. So if he’s proposing to go less than 500 mm from the edge it’s bad advice.

is anyone ever going to check or care? Prob not; but if you selling the house it could be flagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vamon

Hi all, new here and happy to get all the information and advice. Any thoughts on the following quote

14 x Jinko 430kW panels - €9,750

Hybrid inverter - €1,300

Hot water EDI - €650

Ground mounting - 14 x €100 = €1,400

Total €13,100

Less Grant €2,400

Total €10,700

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

Got a quote today for 17 x 430w and hybrid inverter for 10K

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Hi All,

Looks like a good quote.

•   16 x 400w panels 

•   Hybrid inverter 

•   My Energi hot water diverter 

•   Roof mounting equipment 

•   All labour works

•   All electrical testing and commissioning 

•   Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

•   BER

RRP

€ 9,900.00     Cost. 0% VAT Offer

€ 2,400.00     SEAI Grant

€  7,500.00     Final Cost.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

A tails upgrade is not a service upgrade, and inserting a 3 pole loadbreak disconnecter aka isolator switch after the meter tails does not increase your supply rating, even if the isolater is rated 80 or 100a. The supply current will be limited by the esbn fuse breaker prior to the meter, and by the the MCB, (aka MOD, Main Overcurrent Device), usually 63A, on the consumer board, and/or located in the meter box. When getting a smart meter it would be an ideal time to have these two items installed, then the smart meter installer can short tail to them at 16 or 25 mm, while your electrician can then isolate everything after the meter, and safely upgrade the tails from the isolation breaker/MCB. Here's the Safe Electric tails chart, and examples of installing isolators/MOD in the meter cabinet.

Addition of Isolator and MCB(MOD) in a meter cabinet.

Useful stuff to know. The isolators in these examples are this model, operated with a simple key, but there are multiple versions of these.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The 100amp threw me.

You meant 25mm2 tails, agree with that, and now's the chance to get it done right. I dare say that cupboard has to go through!

16mm² are acceptable according to the chart, but the smart meter installer will use 25mm² between the network termination and meter, then will hook up whatever you originally had from meter to the consumer unit, even if its only 10mm². It's an ideal opportunity to pop in the extra items and have them connected with 25mm². It's a trivial matter after for installer sparks changing the final tail from the new isolator and ROD to the consumer unit.

In @mathie's installation everythings in the one chipboard cabinet, which looks highly flammable. Additional kit is meant to be located bottom right of the cabinet, but this is an older setup and indoor, so that might not apply. It's funny how the subcontracted smart meter installers don't flag poor tail connections and insufficient amperage tail, or invite you to have a breaker installed.

Tails to my smart meter are pulled tight across the meter cabinet, as the new meter was positioned further down, and there was no play in the tail. I'm raging I didn't have a breaker at hand to terminate and extend tail. It looks awful and I know it won't pass an inspection if I ever get around to solar installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

Thanks for that. I've had two lads tell me it was just a regulation for the grant and I would have believed it.

It is also a regulation for the grant. And this existed before the planning exemptions .

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

Thanks for the input. The fact it's planning is very pertinent to me. Could end up selling up in a few years, the thought process behind the panels was personal curiosity and to make the house more desirable if I do leave. Without the grant though this feels like an exercise in wasting money, the idea was to charge an EV with excess a couple times a week but the size of system I'm eligible for isn't feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Ok I think I’ve found the one.

6.09 kw solar pv system

14 x 435 watt Jinko panels

Van Der Valk mounting system

5kw Solis hybrid inverter

BER

All associated electrics

Fully installed and commissioned

€6,450 ex vat (VAT @0%) net after grant

Might get a 15 panel in on the day.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ferny1

Could you pm me supplier on this quote please @Fantana2

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Look at these robbing shower of **********s

Install 12 No. 420W Jinko Solar Panels (5.04 kWp)

25 year product & 30 year Linear Power warranty

Supply and fit Van Der Valk mounting system with 10 Year Warranty

Roof inspection & wind load analysis

ESB Connection

Safe Electric Certification

Free Lifetime System Monitoring

€7,139

€7,139

Huawei Sun2000 5KLT inverter with 10 year warranty. This converts the DC voltage generated from your solar PV panel to AC voltage so it can be used to power your property.

€3,859

€3,859

Height for Hire - Access

€729

€729

Supply and fit Dual Array

€449

€449

Building Energy Rating & SEAI Grant Management (BER assessment - Required for SEAI grant)

€400

€400

Supply and fit fireproof mounting to meet SEAI and Irish building regulations

€319

€319

Free Aftercare & Manufacturer Warranty Support

If you have a product defect with your solar panels, invertor or battery, ****** will manage the warranty process with the manufacturer for the duration of the warranty period up to 25 years.

€0

€0

Subtotal

€12,895.00

Post edited by graememk on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Proposal

Solar Panels

Jinko Solar Co., Ltd.

7.395 kW Total Solar Power

17 x 435 Watt Panels (JKM435N-54HL4)

Battery

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

5 kWh Total Battery Storage

1 x LUNA2000-5-E0

Total cost including BER, fitting and electrics: before grant deduction - €9,465

So just over €7,000 after the grant. How does that sound to people? It's putting panels on two roofs, SW and SE facing.

Post edited by Comer1 on

Is the dual array a panel tracking mount for all 12 panels? Or are these panels fixed and it's just an extra charge for nothing, or are they ground mounted. €449 might buy a ground mount for 4 panels with track and tilt

Almost four grand for a €700 inverter, and a seperate charge of €318 for mounting it to the wall, chimney breast or rafters with a fireproof board in between. Wiring it up is already covered in the €7139 for installing 12 panels, where it says ESB connection, as the panels themselves have no connection to the grid.

I got a similar quote years ago where I asked for clear parts and labour. €600 Inverter was €2300 on the quote, then a huge installation charge. Its all about disguising the low cost of materials and hiding the huge margin for installing. Like paying someone 7 grand to lay 3 grand of carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sounds like a cracking deal to me. Good bit cheaper than quotes i have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Are there any plans to update the SEAI grant to newer builds? My home was built in 2021

• Advertisement

The quote above was for 8 panels on a small SW facing roof (45 degrees) and 9 panels on a larger SE facing roof (30 degrees). Because of velux windows on the small roof, the max I think will fit is actually only 4 panels. Should I continue with the 4 panels on the small SW roof with the 45 degree pitch, and 12 on the larger SE roof with the 30 degree pitch or just go with 18 panels on the SE roof. The actual orientation of the large roof is halfway between SE and ESE as can be seen in the picture. Obviously much easier job with panels on one roof only. Would there really be much benefit from the four panels on the small roof? Thanks

For that price go for the 18. Or more of you can fit / afford it.

I think we are going to see some aggressively good pricing from Huawei soon; as they are shortly releasing a new generation of inverter and battery.

They already had a buy 5 get one free inverter offer recently.

They told me this morning that these prices were before the grant deduction but when I went to go ahead, I discovered that the grant had already been deducted. Disappointing.

Actually cost (I added 5 kWh battery) is:

17 Panels for 7.4kw

10kWh Battery

Inverter and installation

€13,900-€2,400 = €11,500

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ron.

They are introducing it the day after my installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Where do you see that?

I can't find info online anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Still sound cheaper than mine, considering 10 kWh battery.

It is still a good quote and one I probably will go along with as they are a company with a great reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Normal non inflated price now considered a deal. That's how it's got. So rare to get a price like this from what I can see on this thread naywqy

They are charging you 2035 for the additional 5kWh module. Which is costing them about 1975. So this is a fair price.

The original price was kinda too good to be true to be honest; you will be getting a great system there; with that inverter and battery.

• Advertisement

I got another quote for the same system at €17,000-€2400=€14,600

Post edited by Comer1 on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement