Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just to give a quick update on my own install. The roofers came today as planned and managed to get 21 panels up on the roof which I am delighted with. I initially thought 16-17 would be the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Proof that installers see roofs completely differently than us mere mortals. Good result thst

This was the area they had to work with just for reference. South facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Wow. You will have some production there with 21 panels south facing! What was the spec of the installation (Battery, etc) that you went for, for a finish? 21 x 370(?) = ~7.8 Kwp. That's going to rock.

They are 345w JA panels and I am putting in 2 X 5KW Puredrive batteries and a 6KW Solis inverter with Eddi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

18 PANELS 345 WATT 6.2 KW 

6KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER.

PRICE 9500 EUROS INC.VAT

excluding grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Hi all,

I'm doing a new build in Dublin and was told I have room for about 10 panels. The house will be fairly air tight, and will be using a heat pump. I'm getting bamboozled with the options and what I need. I have an electric car, but I like the thought of getting a battery to store any excess being generated, rather than giving it back to the grid.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what exactly I'll need? Is it the panels, an inverter, the battery (if I go for one) and that's it? What price roughly should I expect to pay?

I've contacted 3 or 4 suppliers (numbers from various people) but I've found they are hard to get a hold of and even harder to get a reply from if I do manage to get a hold of. I'm told 1 guy is definitely going to visit the site to look at it later this week.

Any help much appreciated.

No need for the hybrid inverter without the battery on less you plan to add it later.

The guys who call out to your gaff typically will give you the most expensive quote you'll get. I won't mention names, but I can already guess who you are referring to. So with space for 10 panels you'll get about 3.5-4.0Kwp in panels. Of course without seeing your house or what your roof looks like it's hard for anyone to say with certainty, but typically unless you have a wierd roof and/or chimneys etc...... most semi-detached houses can get more than 10.

It wouldn't surprise me if you can get 12 or more panels up there. Ultimately the panels are the "engine" behind the whole thing. Get as many as you can on the roof. Everything else such as Batteries and EDDI's can be added later (if you want) but try and fit as many panels on the roof as you can. For a normal family in Ireland, 4.0-5.0Kwp would be a good target. With an EV I'd be aiming for 6.0-7.0Kwp in panels - course if you don't have the space on the roof you won't be able to get to 7.0Kwp, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't go solar. You'll make back your money eventually.

The battery thing is interesting. There are various arguments for/against getting one when you have an EV, but my general feeling is that a 5Kwhr battery is "about right" for your average home. Larger is sort of pointless as you have an EV which you can use to soak up the excess energy in summer, smaller and it's not big enough for the houses needs. There's no "magic answer" really. You'd have to do the numbers with your consumption, but if your "generally average" then those guides will see you ok and not wasting money.

Just PMd a solid company that will guide you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I do have a weird shaped roof so am limited. How much roughly should I expect to pay for 10 to 12 panels, an inverter and 5KWhr battery? And anything else that's needed?

If anyone can recommend anyone please PM me too as I'm struggling to get people to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I have had 10 quotes over the past year, of which 8 visited the house, so I can share a shortlist also.

Most people will give you a ballpark quote fairly rapidly if you can supply an Eircode, and then if you're interested they can visit to finalise details.

Personally I would not agree anything without a site visit, especially if it's a "weird shaped roof"!

First thing I'd do is read back over the (at least) the last 10 pages in this thread, ideally all of it from the start. It'll take an hour or so, but it's time well spent. You'll pick up a lot of information about the state of the market, and you'll find that people who've come before you have asked many of the same questions that you have, and usually gotten the answers that you want.

For example, your question about how much (roughly) you should pay was answered by myself on the previous page.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - Page 31 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

8 site visits, please tell me you have chosen a installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Yes! True to form I waited until the day before the battery grant ended before choosing an installer...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I said I'd stay out of this thread as it can be annoying with folk asking for their quotes to be calibrated when the answer is a few pages back in most cases.

Anyhow, same theme, some crazy prices. I'm DIYing a new 19 panel array and including extensive metalwork custom mounts am coming in less that some of the after grant quotes here (and no grant for me).

Read the previous year thread along with this one and that will answer 90%+ of questions

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Just tired and its blocked. Send me a PM and I will come back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

Decided after much humming and hawing not to get battery nor hybrid diverter. Now down to 2 quotes, any thoughts on whether peimar or ja solar are better or does it matter who makes the panels?

• Advertisement

makes no difference. just bigger the better.

Just to give a quick update on my install. Electricians arrived on time this morning and made good progress today. They will be back tomorrow to finish off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

FYI

A quick reminder of our forum charter which is available HERE.

Unsolicited PMs recommending suppliers are NOT permitted.

If a poster has asked for PMs with recommendations, you can of course PM them with recommendations, but unsolicited PMs are strictly verboten.

If you have received an unsolicited PM after posting here, PM @Jonathan or myself and we will deal with with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

That work looks familiar... I think I might know who did that :D. Very best of luck with it, you should have a rocking system when it's done!

Thanks I am really happy so far with the work. Some amount of work involved in the cabling but the big challenge to get down to the fuse board\consumer unit was completed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Nice job 👍 in the attic? Was going to put mine along with invertor outside in an enclosed lean too..well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I've 2 quotes that I am comparing. The number of panels is the same for both.

Jinko Tiger N-Type 66TR 385-405 Watt panels, 1 x Solis 6kw Hybrid Inverter and 1 x Weco 5.3kw Battery

and the other for

Rec Alpha Panels 395w, SOFAR 5kW HYD 5500-EP single phase hybrid string inverter and 4.8 kW Dyness Lithium Ion cartridge battery

Quality, reliability, longevity, panel performance etc, would the 2 be comparable.

The second quote is more expensive, and I am trying to figure out if the comparison of just the KW is fair, or do I need to consider the brands and performance.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@Ballyv24 you didn't list the prices. Or the number of panels/total capacity or am I missing it?

Sorry just re read, you're not asking if they're good value, just whether the brand justifies the extra cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dropping battery grant because they want you to feed excess into grid

I've just been grant approved last week for 3k. I've 8 months to install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Yes, exactly. If both brands are comparable, then the first option is much better. However, if the panels, invertor, battery of the second quote are far superior, then I need to do further research to see if I can justify the price difference.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement