Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gotcha.

Hard to comment on whether the additional cost is justified though, when we don't know how much the additional cost is.

Is it a secret lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Awesome that you got the full €3k mate. Nicely done.

Not sure i get/agree with your argument about "they want you to feed the excess into grid". The problem with that theory is that it's not actually in their best interest. Let me explain.

So if you don't have a battery, sure ok....you'll export your excess electricity when the sun is shining. Let's say it's 1pm or 2pm. You've given them some generation (probably for pittance with a FIT). So come 6-7pm, you're going to turn on the kettle and the oven to cook dinner, now you have to import from the grid that same unit you could have stored earlier into a battery (for simplicity let's ignore losses). So you along with everyone else in the country hits the grid for power at 6-7pm (peak time). So they have to build more, or fire up more power stations to meet demand.

If everyone had a battery it would help "smooth" the load a little over the day.

To be honest, I don't get their rationale to get rid of the battery grant. That said, as much as it sometimes pains me....I like to believe that the SEAI aren't idiots and that they have some logical engineering reason or tradeoff which makes sense in lieu of that.....but simply we may not be aware of it.

Or .....maybe they are idiots after all ! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Both in the top 5 for performance , efficiency etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Archer Hack

Looking for some recommended suppliers who cover waterford/south east. Pm's appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

So final update from me on the install. They finished off the work today and everything is up and running.

Just want to say a big thanks to posters in this forum it's be an invaluable source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Got a quote today in Cork

16 Panels 400w

4.8kwh battery

eddi

13400 that includes the grant is that too expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Was that the Enniskillen boys??

That's a lovely looking job, nice timing too. All uphill for the next few months.

Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Hi is that’s what’s required for a typical solar set up ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

€13,400 after grant? Way too high. €3-4k too high.

Other setups will be slightly different. I wanted to add battery storage so that required the hybrid inverter and I have 2 X 5KW batteries.

The Pylontec batteries are a different form factor and are typically installed in a small cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Thanks I’m thinking of going the solar route but I don’t have my attic anymore as it’s converted and I wouldn’t have that space available.

Post edited by Marty Bird on

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Agreed 3 to 4k over the odds. You can get better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Looks great cant wait to get install done. Well done and enjoy the ☀️☀️

Dont forget to keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Thanks. I will get the figures together. It is no secret :)

What I was trying to do is to learn from everyone who contribute on this thread so I can look beyond the headline numbers for each quote and consider what else they take into account.

Things like:

• Are all panels the same. They might be now, but in 20 years, the upfront saving will have been lost due to panel degradation.
    • Are there brands to avoid for panels, invertors & batteries, etc.

The industry is so new (to me) that there is a lot to take in, but hopefully once I get a better understanding of it, then I will be able to offer help back to this thread.

What I might do is open up another thread for this discussion? Or find one that exists already 😅

@Ballyv24 this should do the trick

Also for what it's worth, while there may be some variations in spec, performance, warranty etc on certain panels, inverters etc. I don't think it's significant enough to warrant a big jump in price.

If only slightly more expensive, maybe worth it. But like the previous example where someone was getting a quote that was high by €4k because they used Huawei equipment, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

What's the story with grants now if you are approved for 1800 and ya can get 2400 now is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If your approved before the 16th you'll still only get 1800, if you are solar only, you'd be best withdrawing and re applying under the new scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Prince10r

Can anyone PM recommended installers for the South of the country. Looking for a 6KW install. Only installers I've gotten quotes from are 10k+ without battery and give me stories about quality workmanship, better panels and selling Mercedes not Ladas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'm similar. Quotes of over 10k for a 3 to 4KW system, 10 panels, 5KWh battery (with a 5kWp max discharge rate), Solas hybrid inverter. No eddi. Not eligible for the grant. These are higher than what I was expecting based on a few posts in here.

I'll keep looking around.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Are you still not eligible now that pre 2021 has come into the grant scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

No, house is under construction still.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I am in the NW close to the border and the quote I got -

7.4 kw solar watt panels

Battery Triple power LiFePO4,

20 optimisers,

Eddi eco smart Energy Diverter. Management system

Solax Hybrid inverter X1 5kw

€14995

€3000

€11995

extras -5.8kw battery +€495 & Eddie diverter +€495

I presume I should look for the boys in Enniskillen. Can someone PM their details . Thanks in advance

Sent

Also, look for a 6kw inverter with that kind of installation

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Hi to all the newbies currently considering solar pv. I was you a few months ago! I got my install in November 2021 and posted below summary of my install and experience in the 2020 quotes page. Thought I'd repost here as some may find it helpful.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058218819/solar-pv-planning-and-what-to-expect-at-install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

In 20 years the panels will be worthless.

People overthink the warranty etc for panels and the more expensive panels are typically not worth it. A panel is ballpark 150, pretty inexpensive. If one fails in five years, the cost of installing a replacement is going to be significantly more than the cost of the replacement panel (which is all you'll get covered under any warranty). But on the flip side, you'll likely get a more efficient panel at that price in five years time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement