Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I personally cannot see myself with the same panels in 10 years time never mind 20. You can expect at least 30% more power for the same size in 10 years time, so I'll happily increase my capacity for a grand or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

In that case would you not be better getting the materials yourself and have the roofer and electrician on site fit and connect everything or see if the builder/electrician can buy them at trade prices.

If you priced everything up on midsummer or solartricity if will give you a ballpark figure for the materials.

Fitting the brackets and rails for the panels would be a lot easier at construction stage and any decent roofer would have no problem fitting them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I did consider that, but the roof is an odd shape and is a standing seam metal finish, and can't be pierced. I don't think a roofer would be too keen on doing it unless he's done it before. The electrician had never wired for solar before so it was a job convincing him all we needed him to do was run a wire and cat6 from fuse board to where I want the inverter.

My preference is to get a professional solar installer to do it. If even for they can deal with any issues there are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

That's fair enough alright especially with that type of roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Had a company out to provide a quote for a Solar PV system. They recommend a 14 x Qcell Solar Panel & Sonnen (9.53) - 5kWh System.

Total cost to supply and fit is €19,361.00

Does this look to be an appropriate system?

Post edited by DrPhilG on

• Advertisement

A DIY 10kW battery will cost €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

That's a shocking quote. Can you PM their name to me so I can avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The name is on the quote I think. Never heard of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well Its also useful to know the rip off merchants too, Holy moly.. 800 to fit an iboost, (+vat!)

Sad thing is, that some people pay that. If i spent 20k, Id nearly be able to go off grid!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

They're charging you nearly €9000 for a battery system that costs retail ~€3000..

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know then I don't know what would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

900 years payback time 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Mother of Jesus thats ridiculous. Kill it and do not contact that company again.

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

That's absolutely taking the p**s.

It's about 11-12 grand over what it would cost with a reputable and recommended company.

Unbelievable money. I hope the SEAI don't have these guys as one of their "one-stop-shops"

This crowd have a fancy video up about a victim in Kerry. I'd encourage everyone to go to the video can add a comment about what they think the price should be for the work done. I'd guess the video will be removed fairly quickly but we might save one or two from them.

MOD - No naming companies

Post edited by DrPhilG on

Christ on a bike... I've only just noticed they're charging 809eur for an iBoost you can buy for €340. And it takes 10 minutes to fit it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Ding ding! That could be the record folks!!

I personally had €13.5K (after grant deducted) for a 3.5Kwp array with 5Kwhr battery and Eddi from a company who are very active in the marketplace, and I always though I had the record for the most outrageous quote.......but that quote there, wow, that just takes the piss. As I noted previously they are perfectly entitled of course to charge as they see fit. It's a free market economy, but it's sad......sad for the people who get duped into these deals thinking that they are doing the right thing for the environment. Shell out a ton of money needlessly. Sad that it stops people from getting on the solar roadmap when they investigate the prices for an installation they see the prices and think, "Hell I can't afford that!" and then drop getting solar.

Well.....just sad basically. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Can you recommend (by PM, if you prefer) a reputable company please?

PM sent Gorteen with 2x solid suppliers, both based in the northern part of the country, but will do installations countrywide (mostly)

Could you use an old electric vehicle battery (say a leaf) as a storage battery ?

• Advertisement

"This system should save Peter up to 80% on THE KW UNITS USED PART of his electrical bills." .......SHOULD....

Absolutely, but in reality, you'd be better just buying proper LiFePO4 cells rather than old Leaf cells (unless the leaf cells are free of charge).

Take yourself over to the Solar PV Battery Options thread, where most of us have bought and installed 10kW of storage for about €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I'd a similar enough quote from them last week. Was told the Eddi was 400 more than the iBoost to buy.

A lot of hard selling of Sonnen battery and its perks. They also look for 90% payment upfront I think 2 weeks before they install.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

i would also appreciate those details to be PM'd to me .. thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Was meant to post this last night

I know midsummer is plus vat. But there's no argument there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Sent there now also, @trev44

Are alot of people applying for planning or maby they are rural area and just putting them up.6 panels I think is the most that can go up without planning.i couldn't take a chance where I am but am waiting for the law to change hopefully this year.would love to put up 20/25 panels.

Never got planning and don't plan to. I have 20 panels.

To expand a little on that, this isn't just Maulbrook. No one here, and I mean NO ONE (100's of users) applied for permission. I've 14 panels. The strict planning regulations are that you can't have more than 12m2 (twelve sq meters), which does indeed equate roughly to 6 panels. But this is from a by gone time in Ireland. It's completely ignored by people, suppliers, owners, local county council.....everyone. With good reason. We need to be environmentally proactive towards solar. 6 panels wouldn't cut it. That's like a max of 2.3Kwp in panels, fairly useless when your average house should be installing 4-5Kwp (ideally more)

I just had the BER guy out from SEAI there recently, grant approved no problem with as I mentioned 14 panels. It's completely ignored, and indeed there is legislation with gone through recently (in the last month) or coming up in the Dail to remove that 12m2 nonsense.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ....yes it's a sh#t law ..don't think UK have any such laws over there ..unfortunately I have a nutter living next door to me so I wouldn't get away with it. I will have to wait Abit longer .I was getting petrol this morning an a van with pv solar Tipperary was printed on it was getting diesel .I want so bad to get it but can't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement