Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Did you have a look at ...

Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Has a lot of good information in there (including a formula to give you a rough installation price based on whatever system specs you want)

Aside: If you are working from home and your EV is in the driveway, and it takes all your excess on Monday and you filled it up. Will you have driven (say) 50Km to make space in the battery for Tuesday's excess? (Just a thought)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Quote I got today.. Looking at my bills from 2021 I average around 500kWh a month. Have my attic converted which is limiting roof space.

Work To Include: 

1. 3Kw Solar PV System 

2. 3Kw Solis Hybrid Inverter

3. Solar I-Boost

4. All associated electrical works

5. All SEAI and Safe Electric certificates & paper work  

Price ex VAT      €7,665.20 

VAT @ 13.5%      €1,034.80 

Total Price      €8,700.00 (SEAI Grant available, subject to SEAI requirements)   

I work from home 5 days a week, have phev car that I use on pure electric for 16km round trip to the gym 5 days a week.

Sound like a good idea to get PV system? Thanks.

Post edited by treatyman on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

HI VMware, it was *please don't post installer names*

Post edited by DrPhilG on

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Yes, I looked at it, really good source of information, but my circumstances are not noted there so I gave it a shot to see what other opinions are.

On your question RE car, I usually finish my work around 3 PM and go do things, so yes, car battery will pretty much always be hungry to receive "free" electrons

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Got a quote today, what do folks think ?

We used 10161 kWh last year.  I work from home full time, so decent use during the working day and on the fence regarding Battery

16 panels 5.9 kw. 370 watt ja solar

5 kw .pure drive battery

5 kw. solis hybrid inverter

Eddi water diverter

Wi fi dongle.

10100 Euros after grant.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

That sounds about right but get them to bump the inverter to a 6kw not 5kw for the same price, not much difference.

And if you're at home all the time like myself, I'd go for battery for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Interesting, I was thinking if your home full time, then you use more kw during the day and less need to store the energy for evening use. Is my logic incorrect here ?

Not a bad quote that in this current climate. Like Dracula I'd see if you can get the 6Kw inverter for the same price (they are about 150-200 difference in price FYI).

However, can you go bigger on the panels would be my main thinking? Your a heavy user. If you have space on the roof, I'd try and get some more panels up there. Perhaps 20. Yes, I know that will add another €800-1000, but I'd even go as far to drop the Eddi for ~€500 if needs be to part fund it, if you are stuck for the cash and can't get there. Currently (depending on the orientation of your roof of course) your 5.9Kwp will yield about 4500 units a year....and your using 10K, so you still have a sizable shortfall.

You'll never get 100% coverage, but I think you'd do well with 20 panels.

Note: You can always install an Eddi later. It's easy to that as an after-addon. If your somewhat decent with electrics it's not too far advanced that it's not a self-install similar level to installing say a NEST on your heating system. Or probably €100-150 for a spark to do it (guessing) . course usual disclaimer here.....while it's not complex as with all electrics if your in doubt, don't be a "have-a-go-hero".

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ewa szymanek

Hi how to know if the panels working at all as there is no reflections on the bills at all ,what have tobe installed else if the house is built 2 year ago and panel was attached by developer, but no profit from it. Does something g has to be convertered to use this energy at all?

Ewa

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ewa szymanek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Show us a picture of the control box (inverter) in your house. And how many panels on the roof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

Can someone tell me what are the benefits of upgrading from the 5KW inverter to a 6KW one?

Im installing a 5.9KW system (South and West roof slopes) and wont have room for anymore panels so am just wondering if the inverter upgrade would be worth it.

Also installing a 5KW battery.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

You can get 6kwh usable power where as with the 5kwh one you only get 5kwh (pv and battery combined), so technically you will see max 5kwh coming from your panels.

So since you have 6kwh panels and if going with battery, 100% go with the 6kwh one - that's probably just the installer chancing it to pocket a few euro.

Or depending on your roof aspect maybe the installer knows you will never hit 6kwh of generation at one time so 5kwh is enough.

Assuming your inverter is a solis here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Got a quote, looks a bit expensive.

18 x 365w Panels = 6.5kW

Hybrid Invertor

5kWh Battery

Eddi

All in 14,300 ex grant

Are there differences in the panels people get and would there be a difference in quality, longevity and efficiency between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Tech could you send me the details of the installer-they all seem quite keen. I guessing a few of them might be from the same company in Enniskillen.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No battery?

It's pretty expensive. Going to be north of €6k after grant. Should be more like €4.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

Thanks for that SD_DRACULA.

So as mine will be a split system between South & West Panels (Majority on the South) would you see any real benefit of upgrading to the 6KW Solis Inverter i.e. can an over sized inverter effect the efficiency of the systems production?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is there a difference between Solar Panels and the manufacturers?

E.g. is there is a hierarchy of panels from best to worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

My neighbours are getting a SAAS PV system and they gave me the details. Basically I may be able to get it at the same time and avoid a waiting list of 3-4 months (there are not getting a discount for this).

I haven't done too much research on this (apart from reading this discussion).

Basically the system on offer is 8 panel (3.2kw approx.)

Energy & How water is €59.90 p/m over 10 years (reduced down to €39 p/m if grant of €1800 is offset - may be more with extra panels)

House roof is SSE aspect. I may pay extra to get a few extra panels.

Currently working from home 2/3 days a week (have garden office with SW aspect and I could put panels on this as well (8 meters profile roof).

Are these SAAS schemes worthwhile (or are you paying a premium to cover finance)?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The 59.90 is additional to whatever fees you currently pay for electricity and heat?

Its just breaking the upfront cost down over 10 years right?

Hi. I hoping we will have the grant so the €59.90 will be €40.

Yes this will be additional to monthly utility bills, But I'm hoping that we will be saving on gat to heat hot water and electricity to PCs and other appliances during the day. So overall cost is €7188 (59.9x12x10years) for a 8 panel system, inverters, connection to house D.B, and to immersion.

I have not got the figures for 100% payment upfront - but that works out at about €5000 loan a 7.5% interest rate over 120 payment, or €4000 @ 12.5%

So that has to be my next question to the supplier.

Are these SAAS schemes worthwhile (or are you paying a premium to cover finance)?

Generally they are pretty good in the niche of the market that they cover. (Smaller low end systems without a battery). For many people this is a good play. You don't have any up front layout, and the cost that you pay €40/month, is often matched or even exceeded by the energy savings that you get from the panels. So essentially you are winning from the get go and then of course after 10 years, any production you have is "free".

Where they don't do great is that they have a sort of a fixed model. If you want extra panels over the standard config, you pay a premium. I don't know the exact figures, but to chuck some out there, you might pay €250 for an extra panel from a "regular" solar installer, where you would be paying €600 from some of the solar as a service folks.

Also, if you have a big consumption, the lower end systems while they will help, you really might want to be looking at a large install, along with battery etc. SaaS isnt' great as mentioned for that. Prices are nuts (it's not a market they want, so they discourage people by the prices)

That's good advice. Thanks. I was quoted €400 per extra panel. They are offering 7 panels as the standard and will give an 8th free (so its an 8 panel as standard. I'm hoping to add at least 2 x panels and more if they will fit. I'll shop around and see what else is out there. I'm based in North Kildare - so there should be a few suppliers. Thanks again

Actually €400 isn't too bad to be fair. Sure, it's not competitive compared to other installers who are usually in about €200-250/panel, but the base price (nothing) has a lot going for it :-) Overall it's hard to beat SaaS for a lower end install. But if you want a battery and/or some other things like Eddi's, they can be exorbitant. But their base offering is pretty good.

As they say though, mileage will vary of course. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Here’s our situation

3 bed 180m2 house plus linked 60 m2 200 year old cottage with south facing roof that is currently unused. We want to install solar on it before we refurbish inside. House built in 2017 and has ASHP. We also have an ev that is home at least four days/ week at present. We also have smart meter installed but not activated

I got the following quote

12 x 400w solar panels plus SMA inverter. 9000 euro including VAT. Not counting any grants.

I didn’t price a battery but open to it. Just not sure if we can stretch to one at present and REFIT should compensate a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Its overpriced by c.2k-2.5k in my opinion.Try SAAS which has the same size system without iboost for 3,600E after grant, you should also check to see if you really need a hybrid inverter, if you do not intend to get a battery you will not need it.The hybrid inverter is about 400E more than the standard one.You can get a water diverter(eddi) supplied and installed by a sparks for about 650E.

You can get an idea of pre vat prices on this site https://solartricity.ie/

Remember that installers get a trade discount and that the grant money is usually seen by some installers as free money for them.,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement