Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lackabane

Would somebody mind sending me recommendations for installers in the Cork/West Cork area please?

This thread is a font of information, huge thanks to everyone for contributing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Thank you!! Next question I guess, is there a way to ensure that it does? I mean surely off grid houses have systems that work without mains elec.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Regulations mean that in the event of a mains failure into the house, the inverter must shut down and the pv panels disabled , ie no production of power continues. This is required to protect workers on the esb network and also for example firemen who shut down mains before tackling a fire.

As to whether you can bypass it or not there would be requirements to ensure that you isilate your production fully from the grid I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

There are various options for allowing for backup power.

(A) inverter powers 1 or 2 sockets via a backup connection using battery alone.

(B) backup option similar to above but is instead connected to a sub board say 3-4 essentail circuits.

(C) full consumer unit (but owner must ensure not to use more than panels+battery can supply) in this setup a manual changeover switch disconnects consumer unit from grid thus inverter backup supplying power to all house citcuits. This will typically also open the fireman switches to the panels thus allowing PV charge battery and supply house.

(@Jonathan maybe this should be added to FAQ)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bakka

Hi everybody, first time posting in this forum. I got a quote for

22 Ja Solar panels for a system for 8.14kw (GROUND MOUNTED SYSTEM)

6KW Solis 4G Inverter

AC & DC Isolators

AC & DC Cable

Ground Mounting Frame - Installation & Groundworks

WIFI Dongle

COST: 10045 Euro before Grant (Grant 2400)

7645 Euro after grant.

I was quoted that in February, and accepted it by the end of February. I had gotten a load of quotes and this one by far was the best quote. Ground Mounted Systems tend to be a bit more expensive than roof mounted ones. I'm very happy with that quote. Just waiting for them to be installed now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ta. Will add it when I'm back at desktop later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Great price, but I sincerely hope you have the use of that power during the day

I'm at home along with my Hubby all day, and have a daughter working from home. My ESB bills are usually very high. 5 of us in the house alltogether. I know at times I'll have a bit of so called clipping ,but to be honest I'm just waiting for the Feed In Tariff to come in.

• Advertisement

That's a brilliant result. Im guessing it would be a grand more expensive now, what a difference 2 months make.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Do you have an EV? On a day like today even disregarding the clipping you'd be producing 6kW consistently for 4-5 hours straight. Heavy user or not I can't see how you'd consume that without a battery or an EV.

Great price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

If it's not installed yet, I'd ask the installer how many panels they would drop in exchange for a 5kW battery. A WFH laptop and maybe external screen will only use about 150w. As Dr. Phil says, you'll be generating 6000w for hours on end. A 5kW battery will be full (from empty) in less than an hour.

Don't be banking on FIT. You might get 3c to 5c per kW. It's more worthwhile to save and use it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are you not allowed discuss suppliers here?

I'd say with the huge increases in energy prices and the summer coming, yeah I'd imagine I wouldn't get the same quote today. Just waiting for them to install them now.

I don't have an EV yet, but probably will in the next year or two. I just couldn't see the payback time with a battery making sense. With the FIT coming in, I'm hoping that energy companies will compete with each other to give a good price. Time will tell.

I see very little hope that the feed in tariff will be worthwhile at all.

Suppliers, as in midsummer etc? No probs.

Installers, not for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's some system. A brilliant price. You'll have people looking for that installer.

Forget the FIT. You'll be lucky to get €200 a year from it!

However, you have serious options with a system like that.

If you get some battery storage I can't imagine you'll pay for many electric units over the year,bar Nov-Feb. Even in Feb you'll generate a lot.

The excess from such a large system will fill a large hot water tank most days March-Oct I'd imagine.

If you have an EV it'll take excess.

Best of luck.

*Btw, I'm assuming a decent orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RobSR

Hi,

Starting out on the Solar PV journey! Would anyone have any recommendations for installers in Dun Laoghaire area please?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where is a good place to buy panels?

Galway/Westmeath area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Like others have mentioned, I think you've got the math wrong there mate. People say it all the time "Max your roof" and invariably 95% of the time it's good advice......but you can actually have too many panels. FIT will pay a few quid, but it'll be maxed at €200 per year or so we're lead to believe. It's be nice it if it was more, but FIT should probably be best viewed as a "bonus". A nice to have few quid that we get for our panels, but not something that will realistically flavor our thinking.

The issue of not having a battery (even a small one), is that on days where you have broken clouds you might have 5-6Kw for 30 mins.....and then clouds roll in and you producing 800 Watts for 30 mins....and then another glorious unbroken spell. A battery helps smooth that, so if you turn on the washing machine/tumble dryer that it can run to completion without importing from the grid. It's like you have a ferrari engine but then only run it in 1st gear.

Me? Since you have a great price, I'd probably rock on ahead with it....but I'd look at getting a stand alone storage unit also. Counter-intuatively, dropping say 4 panels and getting a battery would reduce your overall payback time.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Best of luck with it. I think you’re right to put in as many panels now as possible. As said above you can easily come back later and add batteries or a water diverter at any stage if you want but it’s a lot more awkward to add more panels. If you don’t have electric showers then the water diverter would be the first addition for me. Easy DIY job and and it soaks up an awful lot of your excess. If you have kids old enough to WFH then odds are in a few years you’ll have 2 or 3 EVs outside to use it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi could you message me the details of the installer? Thanks

Hi, I just messaged you there with the details you requested.

That's what I was thinking myself. I have an electric shower and a power shower. I'll probably have a EV in a year or so, so hoping it'll use up any excess electricity generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

also interested in cork / West Cork installers thanks

I agree with most of what you say. The figure of 200 euro you mention is incorrect though. That figure of 200 is the sum that is tax free. The Government says the first 200 euro generated by FIT is tax free. But in essence nobody is really sure how much the FIT will be. Market demands will set the price. In a few years generated electricity fed back to the grid might be worth a lot more than expected. I gave it huge thought whether to go with a battery, but the life of the battery lasting only maybe 5 -10 years was a big turnoff for me. I just don't see a good return on my money. This is a fast moving industry. Things happen. Look at the situation in Ukraine affecting energy prices. But I totally get what people are saying about getting a battery. I still might change my mind on it. It's probably another month before my system is installed.

It's a ground mounted system, so orientation is great. All I need is them installed and for the sun to shine.😁

• Advertisement

I am basically getting the same kind of system as you. 8.14KWH ground mounted system. I'm getting 22 JA solar panels. I'm not getting a battery, Eddi Diverter or Zappi car charger. My quote after the grant was 7645 euro. That's about half you quotation. You are paying nearly 7,000 for a battery, Eddi Diverter and Zappi charger. I would try to knock at least a thousand of your quote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement