Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks would anyone recommend an installer in Wexford?

I'm considering looking at getting a roof set up installed. The house was built in 2013 and there's currently tubes installed which heat the water on one section of the roof. Not sure if it would be best to remove these and upgrade them if not cost prohibited?

Anyway, I used 6,000 units last year and have an EV. We have a second EV ordered but not sure if this will be delivered this year.

I have a call in with one local guy who installed my EV charger but he's away on holidays at the moment.

Any suggestions on a potential system (or things to look out for)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone know anything about goodwee batteries and inverters, thry were in a quote a mate just got and he was asking me what i think. Havnt heard of them before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

There’s so many options it can be hard to figure out the question of what’s best. It might be worth thinking about is this a once and done expenditure or are you looking at it thinking this is your budget for now but I will expand it later. If this is it then what the guys say is correct. Add a battery now with a smaller system and the payback will be faster as long as you don’t compromise to the point of only having a 3 or 4kw system. For example I have a 4.7 set up with no battery and the house only takes about 50% of what’s produced. So I want more panels and a big battery! If you are intent on adding more in a year or 2 then I’d still maximise panels now. The other add ons can be done relatively easy later but adding more panels is not as straightforward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Announcement

In a change to our scheduled programming...

We now have a list of boardsie's installers.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/boards-members-installer-information#latest

Going forward, there will be no more requests for PMs here. If you would like to know companies that members of this forum have used, the list is there for all to view and over time we will add details of who has used each company if they are happy to be contacted.

To summarise, this thread is still for posting quotes, for advise and comparison. The rule about naming installers here remains the same, the only change for this thread is that there will be no more 20 posts a day asking for recommendations by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wayguk

What are your thoughts on this quote:

14 PANELS 370 WATT 5.1 KW JA SOLAR

5KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

5 KW DYNESS BATTERY

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 11900 EUROS 

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI.

TOTAL 9500 EUROS.

I'd try to add in a few more panels if you can, it won't bump the price too much and it will improve the value.

The quote as it stands is decent enough in today's market but if you have space, add in a few more panels and get a 6kW inverter instead of 5kW. If you could get 2-3 more panels and the bigger inverter for below €10k then all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Just the following quote for 2 versions of the install.

• Both with 12 x Trina 400w panels so 4.8Kp panels.
    • One with a 5Kw Hauewi Battery and Huawei SUN2000-6KTL-M1 Inverter (16K ex vat and grant)
    • Sunny Boy 4.0 inverter and Eddi and No Battery (7.5k)

Am I missing something or is the first one v expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sockpuppets

Is anyone else having trouble getting an install date over the past few weeks? I paid a deposit 4 weeks ago and have requested a ball park install date so i can plan for it but not getting anything back. I asume supply issues are playing into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I would say about another 4 to 8 weeks.

Most companies are minimum 8 weeks to 12 weeks.

I know one is 6 week but they told me that last month, so God knows what it is now

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sockpuppets

yeah i was expecting June, but i cant even get that confirmed now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Even getting a consultation pre sale is proving difficult at the moment, one of the more recognised suppliers (they're on the list) has changed the date and time of the sale consultation 4 times in the last 36 hours, pushing it further out each time, which is not doing anything to create a nice warm fuzzy comfortable feeling about dealing with them.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just the basic supplies are getting harder to get too. I'm in the process of starting a self-install and just looking around for bits. Solar panels themselves are mostly "out of stock" on midsummer.ie. I rang the sales department this morning and a delivery is due in end of week - but it does point towards the state of the market. Girl on the phone was mentioning that they are hard pressed to keep stuff in stock.

The uptake recently on solar is huge. Sadly the reasons behind the uptake (war in Ukraine and consequential uptick in energy prices) are perhaps not the ones we want, but I guess it's environmentally a step in the right direction to take some positive from it.

MOD NOTE

Post deleted. Please see the thread title. No PM requests. Follow the installer list for supplier info.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah the suppliers are getting stuff in as fast as they can and it's going out just as fast too.

Everyone is looking into solar now, just the activity in this thread is an indication of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

Can someone explain to a complete dummy what kind of energy you produce with say this set up for example? I’m trying to understand the cost of the system based on what I get out of it if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Whoever gave you the quote should be able to provide a month by month estimate for you but you can also go to https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html, put in your address, leave Azimuth as 0 degrees if your panels are S facing or adjust based on your orientation and click Visualize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

6.2kwh panels.

5kwh Inver

South East facing

North Wexford

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OnChip

Hi folks,

I got a second quote today, thanks to @MAULBROOK for the contact details. This is what it came in at:

16x Jinko Solar All Black 405W

6.4kwp total

Solis Hybrid inverter

Soluna 5.1KW Battery

Total Incl VAT 13,905

After grant 11,505

They didn't mention the diverter but I can double check with them. Seems a lot better than the first quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Birka

Adding to an existing system so no grant possible and got the following quote:

4 x 345w panels

Solis 5kW hybrid inverter

5kWh Puredrive 2 battery

All associated wiring etc

€8550 including vat

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bakka

Thanks for that Spose. Yeah I'm in agreement with you. I choose extra panels over getting a battery right now. I'm thinking I should change my inverter for a battery ready one, so a hybrid inverter will have to be changed pronto, before they come to install the system. How easy is it to hook up a battery later on? Is there any make easier than others to install, like a hook and plug type system, or will I have to get an electrician to install it?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

My recent quote included a "370 WATT JA SOLAR", based on other quotes here, I see that JA SOLAR have a 400 Watt panel. Ignoring costs, is there any disadvantage in getting the highest rated panel, as one setup would have 5.9 KW and the other is 6.4KW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can that thread get pinned so that it dosnt drop off the first page.

Has just been done by @Jonathan who is more wise in the ways of Modding than myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

The most plug and play one that I am aware of is the 5kwh puredrive and can be easily done without electrician. However if your installation is in the attic like mine, the biggest pain is lifting that monster there, it weights over 60kg but easily doable with 2 people.

The pylontechs/dyness batteries require an additional breaker to be installed in between the inverter and the batteries so an electrician is recommended for it. You might also ask your installer if they can do this now and just leave the cables ready to be plugged in the batteries, parts wise shouldn't be more than 100-150 euro for the breaker and 2 cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bakka

Thanks for that SD_DRACULA. My battery would be going into the garage, so that wouldn't be a problem. You've given me plenty of food for thought. Just have to put my thinking hat on, and look over my finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pp o leary

Hi everyone. New to this. Are sonnen batteries any good. Are they all the same thing really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement