Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

A battery is a battery.

The difference is the communication protocol it can use to speak to and be understood by an inverter. Some inverters support multiple battery protocols (languages)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

Hey All -thoughts on this quote:

5.18 KWp Hybrid system, (Solarwatt 370w panels x 14)

Solax x1 hybrid inverter 5.0

5.8 kWh Battery

Eddi Diverter

All installation etc, roof mounted.

Cost €13,500, net of grant €11,100

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

To get the full grant you must have a 4kw system.They deduct money from the grant if it's less.This may have changed but was the way 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

For those on the fence about having a battery I am currently going through my 4th power cut (2 faults+2 planned) since my install on February 22nd! I usually get 8-10 a year. So for me it was a no brainer as I can power my basics with the twin socket attached to the inverter.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Same here, 2nd planned cut yesterday in as many months, so charged the battery up the night before, and the power was gone from 9am - 5:05pm.. battery ran both our offices and the fibre internet modems for the day (using only 34%). grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Thanks for all the replies. They are appreciated

After a few callouts I've established

Front of house is SSE and is suitable for (8 - 10) panels

All prices are less grant applied

Quotes (for Energy & Water) are 8 panels €6200, 9 Panels €6900, 10 Panels €7950 (ironically from 3 different companies who had different ideas on the number of panels I can squeeze in). Non of these companies recommended a battery (due to generating capacity/usage and suggested an EV in 3-5 years😥 would be a big battery, but unless I win one, I cant see that happening)

The SAAB quote is €4740 over 10 years (39.50 x 120) for 8 panels + €400 per extra panel.

Questions:

Is the SAAB a no-brainer (based on current cost)?

Should I consider a Battery now or as an add-on in the future? What cost should I expect to pay?

I also have a garden office (40 meters from main DB board in house) which is SW facing (8 meters in length). Would it be worthwhile considering 6-8 panels on this, when looking at battery upgrade?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Assume you mean SAAS

The quote you got looks like including the eddi which makes it cost 1200 over 10 years. You can buy it independently for less than half of that.

For the panels on their own its a no brainer.

I've 9x365 from them since July last year. Many more here have them in as well.

As for extra panels. The boss of saas recommended I go DIY for extra panels if I wanted and get a 2nd inverter for them. I've already picked up the inverter and will get panels when budget allows. I'm doing a ground mounted system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, as SouthWesterly says....SAAS is a very compelling argument fiscally for that type of system. However, reading a little in between the lines there ... not sure if you've properly figured out what your desired system is (as opposed to the system your physically capable to install).

I don't say that in a negative way, only that as the decisions you make now may ultimately cost you much more in the longer run if you decide to go down a particular route. For example, if you want a battery in the future then you need to get a "hybrid inverter". They are a little more expensive, but if you don't get one in the initial install you won't be able to support a battery down the road without replacing completely your inverter. Before someone suggests it, Sofar ME3000 is a great option as an alternative, but requires a little bit of "DIY" electrical work - which I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly?) that you might not be interested in Bravobabe?

Ideally (and I appreciate there are often fiscal limitations) if you can..... get in the biggest system NOW as opposed to "tacking on" in the future. Its more expensive to expand out down the road, but again, sometimes it's necessary.

Ps: Eddi for €1200 is nuts. It's like €550 to buy on the web, and a spark would install it for €150-200 at most. it's like a 30 min install.

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Anyone connect Eddie to myenergy app or any other app ? Any instructions on how to achieve it ?

I'm pulling my MyEnergi data from their server via the API into my Node-Red Dashboard

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Looking for thoughts on the following quotes:

1. 4kw system recom or jinko panels, hot water water diverter, hybrid inverter ,no battery €7000 before grant
    2. as above with hybdrid inverter and 5kw Huawei battery €11,000 before grant
    3. 6kw system with recom or jinko panels and 5kw Huawei battery €13,000 before grant with a 5kw Huawei battery €11,000 before grant

Have an EV which is only charged at night or weekends. Used just over 8000kwh last year which was the 1st full year for having an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Way too much for the quote with the battery. The huawei battery is needlessly expensive, ask for quotes for other batteries such as puredrive/pylontech/dyness

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Pulled the plus and paid deposit for

12 JA solar 370w (4.44kW)

Solis 5kW Hybrid inverter

5kW puredrive battery,

No Eddi needed

Wifi dongle

€7,800 after grant,

Got a few euro off the initidl quote, but mot much negotiation with Enniskillen lads, as seem flat out.

I'm not too disappointed as close to €1000/1100 per kW, and better than a lot of other quotes.

Now to wait and see when they can install, but indications were early July.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

Got the below quote back from a certain installer exactly 1 minute after emailing them with pictures etc. I am in a semi d house so no way 16 panels would fit on roof. Seems like they have an auto response to any new queries. Haven't get a reply from any others yet.

THANKS ******.SEE OUR QUOTE 

16 PANELS 370 WATT 5.93 KW. JA SOLAR

5KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

5 KW.DYNESS BATTERY

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 12500 EUROS 

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI.

TOTAL 10 100 EUROS 

PRICE VALID 14 DAYS.

Post edited by DrPhilG on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

You probably need to have a look here before DrPhilG comes down on your ass!

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest

Thanks Yes SAAS (SAAB - must have cars on the brain).

The Present Value of the eddi €1200 (€10 * 120) assuming an interest rate of 6% is €670. But I do take your point on board (always prefer not to pay interest if avoidable)

As you (and others) suggest I would like to future proof the system (and initial outlay) as must as possible to

• allow for expansion (more panels - greater output)
    • have some backup, in case of power cuts (using daytime output)
    • battery storage (covering night time and power cuts)

Thanks bullit-dodger.

Yes you are correct there is a trade off between what I would like, what's physically possible and what the costs are.

I live in an estate SD house with SSE aspect - to 8 - 10 panels is the max on the house roof. There is possibility of a further 6 -8 panels on garden office with SSW aspect. But of the 5 companies I've talked to so far, one one seen this as a viable option (for now).

I prefer to pay upfront for extras and will definitely consider a hybrid converter now (rather than later).

What's currently available or recommended to allow continued usage during power-cuts, outages?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Got another quote and its

3kw panel system, 2 x 2.4kw batteries, 3kw inverter, & eddi - cost less grant €13,500.

Yes - €13,500 (I presume I'm not wrong thinking that that is expensive) - still picking myself up off the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

For sure it is. Paid around 12k (but last year) for 7kw panels, 6kw inverter, 5kwh battery but no eddi

Have you checked the member PV spreadsheet? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/126q1if4RJqtmB1z-M6cxuXr6TknY_SwKuwAjxZsxh8E/edit#gid=0

You can see installation cost/details and worth comparing against.

They are mental busy, I wouldn't worry about the quick response and a slight inaccurate spec. It gives you a good indication of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's as bad as it gets.

I'd want a 8kW system and 10kW worth of batteries for that price!

Complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I assume folks will tell me the middle one is the best value ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

You need to post the manufacturer and if the grant has been taken off the total cost, but looking at that, 3.2kw of panels and a 2.4kw battery with 5kw inverter for €10250? Look back up this page to see quotes to get your answer!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

ROUGH GUIDE

€1.2k per 1kWp of panels

€550 for an Eddi

€1k per 2kW of batteries

After grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks - the top 2 are solis brand, the middle one is gear supplied by solartricity the bottom one I dont know but is from the well known guys from Enniskillen. The quotes are pre grant.

If these are way off price wise, I dont know where else to go. I have contacted many guys and sat through hours of sale nonsense to get these 3 !

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement