Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yup. Going through the list from the other thread today. I hear lead times are crazy though. Talking 5 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

We got just under 2 month lead time. But downside is had to put down a 50% deposit on order which means they guarantee the pricing won't change. I did need to chase a bit to get them to hold the date.

Mine wasn't one on the list. Not cheapest compared to others here (but cheapest I found). But I like their approach design wise. Putting panels on 3 roofs as an example so I get good output thru the day. And a week before the install I cancelled part of the order (hot water tank supply and fit and Eddi). I don't want that now with FIT looking like it's coming and they were OK with that change.

IMO it's not all about finding the lowest price as its not pure 'apples and apples' with solar from little bit I know - you want a group you can work with too. Deffo you want value for money and a decent payback period but also want a company that will stand over it and give a good design and sort problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Quote of €11500 before grant of €2100 so total of €9300 for 6 panel system of 3 KW with 2.4KW battery and inverter over E/W split

included a €1000 ballast system as part of it needs to go on flat roof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Way too expensive for that sized system, try SAAS on the installers page and ask about getting a hybrid inverter to add a battery.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Sweet devine !!! And what did they say was the expected payback on that ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Got 2 quotes

8x400 Watt Hyundai Panels, Huawai Inverter, Eddi,7500 Euro

and

8 Solitek Panels, (Quote doesn't mention inverter), Eddi, 4700 Euro

2nd seems reasonable if an inverter is with it. Else overpriced I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

@Harika you need to confirm the inverter and panels details, hard to know what you are getting for 4700

7 - 8 years at current pricing levels is what I was told

Tried going down the SAAS route with the company mentioned and after waiting 2 weeks for an engineer call, the day it was due, 2 hours after expected call, I got an email that just said "your house inst suitable" and when i replied looking for more feedback, got zero response!

Same happened to me with them! Just keep looking, I was told I could only fit 7 panels. I got 12 up with room for 5 more if I need to go bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

I would love a piccie of that roof as i am doing a lot of mental maths and cursing at wobbly measuring tapes at the moment trying to figure out ways to fit more than 7 panels on to my roof

Did you end up going with SAAS or just purchasing?

I found an installer who knew what he was doing. I had about a dozen quotes most of which I laughed at but just kept looking until I found the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Basically, expect to save about 50% of your current cost of power EXCLUDING STANDING CHARGES.

Not only will the production figures be optimistic, you will never use all of the power generated. You'd need a very large Battery to save all unused generated power, and that's not likely to be financially viable.

My latest 2 month bill was €68 - but €60 was Standing Charges and PSO levy charges.

So I bet your indicated timescale has suddenly more than Perla Polite Soapsuds

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Some napkin math.

3kwp will generate roughly 2400kwh.

With a small battery you are likely able to use say 80% of that.

Which is 1920kwh.

At 25c/ kwh (being generous here) that's €480 euro a year.

If you get a decent fit of about 14c that's another 70 euro ish

550/year. Which is great for that size system.

But if you pay 9300 for it.. it's 16-17 yrs.

You can get better prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Quote 4: €10500 after grant inc. VAT. 4.1kWp JA panels, 5.1kWh battery Dyness, Solis hybrid inverter 6kw, Eddi, Zappi

Previous quotes (no Zappi) https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119274852/#Comment_119274852

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Hi all. Starting our PV investigation/journey these days, and i'm trying to make the numbers work. Be grateful if some could help guide me a bit.

Current scenario/usage:

Day night meter. About 2000kWh day, and 4000kWh night (car, washer, dishwasher, dryer etc all run at night to maximise the cheaper rate)

No hot tank, no electric showers, no heat pump (Gas combi boiler for heat/water)

I'm WFH for the foreseeable future, and in a typical day (excluding a car charge) we use about 10-12kWh.

Initial thoughts:

Thinking something like a 10 panel array (S and E facing), so around 3.8Kwp, and ideally a battery to allow us to cover heavier load when cooking (tends to be later in the evening/when the sun is in the west), and to generally not "waste' the solar we're generating. Batteries seem awful expensive (from the 1 quote i've gotten so far), and the FIT makes exporting at least worth something.

I've gone a bit simple so far with the maths, but if I make a lofty assumption that with a 3.8Kwp array and a small battery I can eliminate my day usage (2000kWh at 25c/kWh) and keep either shift 1000kWh (at 12c/kWh) of night usage to the day, or send it back to the grid (I heard 14c/kWh mentioned) that's a saving of €640 a year.

It seems like good quotes should be in around €9k from eyeballing things here on boards, meaning 14 years ROI. Am I missing something, or over specing our setup? If the FIT is going to be 14c/kWh or there abouts, is a battery just not worth it anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

€9k would most certainly not be a good price for the spec you described @Black_Knight

Try €6k, €6.5k max.

6k for a 4kWp and 5kWh battery? I was quoted over 11k after the grant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd rethink to more panels (as much as your roof can take) and larger inverter (little price difference between a 4kW and 6kW inverter). You then need to think about whether you want batteries or not, cheapest option is to purchase a hybrid inverter and DIY batteries. I don't know current PV install costs as I stopped posting on that thread but to make up your mind on batteries read the DIY Battery thread at least once.

Your current setup will give little to your EV and if you are going this route you should be looking to max your generation whilst WFT in order to charge your car. You got to remember that you will likely be moving your current night rate usage (e.g. dishwasher) to days during the good months in order to reduce day rate usage and avoid exporting.

The single most common regret on installs is not installing more panels.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

My Zappi supply and fit (as part of my quote) was 1.5k. I got a standalone quote from another crowd of €1850 (mad money). Both before grant. myenergi.ie sell for €975 (ex install) but other sites seem to have for €900 (somehow). Should help give a rough sense of Zappi costs. And you'll need / want the unit to connect the Zappi and Eddi to set prioritises from what I understand (hub? / harvi - €75 on myenergi.ie).

Sorry I thought you were looking at a smaller battery.

Still, apply the guide pricing.

4kWp @€1.2k/kWp = €4.8k

5kWh battery @€1k/2kWh = €2.5k

Total = €7.3k

Allow some wiggle room, shouldn't pay more than €8k after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Thanks, I've had standalone quotes, just for Zappi, from those who install chargers only, around 1.5k. I've had PV installers quote up to 1.8k, which is nuts, target is 1.5k for me. On the point of "hub" thought the latest models have an integrated hub?

No idea if new ones have an integrated hub. I've very much a newbie myself :)

MOD NOTE

Please read the thread title. No PM requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

When getting quotes, try and keep the spec the same. This will help keep track of value.

You will never regret having to marry panels but will regret having to few.

I'd take a smaller battery than 5kWh. Half that to start would be fine, but the crowd I talked to said they only do 5kWh batteries.

That's the plan. Same spec from all, then adapt it when I find a winner.

Our roof isn't very plentiful. Hipped roof, semi detached. Skylight on East and West, South is the smallest side.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Drawback of the smaller batteries is the discharge rate. The 5kwh usually can do 5kw (although the solis can only sustain 100amps for 10-15 mins, then it throttles to 68)

The smaller batteries only do 1.5kw afaik.

• Advertisement

Very good information to have. 1.5kW isnt a whole lot at all. Not even an oven. Just would cover a washing machine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement