Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I would agree on trying to aim for a 5kwh battery minimum.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Second quote gotten. Similar setup (4kWp).

7500 for solar only after grant.

12800 if I include a 5kWh battery. Seems a far far cry from what I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superemote

Well folks, thanks again for all the excellent advice here. My system is in now three weeks.

This was original quote in early March

16 PANELS 370 WATT 5.90 KW JA SOLAR

5KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER

5KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 11500 EUROS INC VAT 

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI

TOTAL 9100 EUROS

Gentle Haggle €8600.

After 12 week wait from deposit the roofers came and installed 20 x 330w panels, 6.6kwp. They gave me 2 extra to make up for smaller panels.

2 weeks later the electricians installed the rest of it. Both parties took 1.5 days repectively. I took the advice here and got them to put up 2 extra panels while they were here.

I accepted a 5.1kw Dyness instead of the powerdrive as there was an additional wait for the powerdrive and I felt with all the supply chain issues I was lucky to be getting everything done.

With the additional 2 panels, inverter upgrade to 6kw and 6 optimisers on the west side(6 west, 14 east) I paid an extra 1,000 Euro so €9600 total.

Ber is going to be another €200-€250. I chose the guy who did my house before he may do it for €200 due to having gathered the house details last time.

The installer remarked that the 6kw inverter was more reliable than the 5kw as they have had more issues with those.

The system is working great and I'm really happy with it. Smart meter is in now too so I'll have more tarrif choices when I switch supplier in September. I was surprised to see that the 5.1kw battery this time of year at least, always discharges more than its capacity throughout the day. One day it discharged almost 9kw keeping me off grid all day.

Hope this summary is helpful to someone. Thanks again everyone for the great support here

Correction to me previous system details

My system is not '20 panels with 6.1kw, Solis Inverter, 6kw battery'. €10k after grant.

It's 20 panels with total of 6.9kw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Don't forget that yur battery is often charging and discharging at various periods during the day, as in charging for a bit, then the sun will go in behind a cloud for a bit so you might swap to discharging. Not uncomommon for my 8.2Kwhr to charge/discharge 11 or even 12 Kwhr during a day.

I guess the main thing is "are you happy with the extra panels you put in over original spec?" Would you go the same number of panels?

• Advertisement

Absolutely, I'm very happy with the extra panels, they help out a bit on the cloudy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'm really thinking of doing it myself with help from mates. I was quoted 8k to install 8 panels and a string inverter. I asked for a price just to hang the panels but they weren't interested. 8k for a couple of days work is nuts. The panels cost about 150 quid each

Have you looked at SAS? From recollection they have a deal for about €4k for 8x panels. You pay them €40 a month or so and then after 10 years your "clear" - or you can pay them off with a minor penalty quicker.

I'm normally one to shy away from deals which has you paying month over month, and prefer to own something outright, but that SAS deal is generally pretty good. Good few regulars went that route and have nothing but good things to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah I'm considering that too. Was looking at one suppliers site the other day. They only did string inverters though, and I want a hybrid as I'll put a battery in when the prices come down. Was quoted €5.5k for a 5kw battery last week. The prices are ridiculous

Installers spreadsheets (theres a link in the FAQ) should also give you the list of folks which people have used.

In reality though, a small system like your installing are rarely good "value for money" for the customer. Why? Well, it costs a certain fixed charge to get two guys out onto your roof. If they are installing 2 panels, or 20 panels, the call out charge is generally the same. Yeah, it takes longer to install the 20 of course, but you get the idea. Same effort to organize etc.

I'm not saying it's "right" - only letting you and others know that smaller systems typically are hard to get good deals out there. SAS is the way, or as you say...a self install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Go for the DIY if you or friends have the skills to do it. You will save a massive amount and get it installed a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

Got quote back with the puredrive 5KW battery and it is as you predicted 2500 so 10100 in total for system after grants. Think I will go with this. Not even getting replies from other companies and this price is quite reasonable for the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

Forgive me for being stupid but would you mind explaining what SAS is?

I have been doing a lot of reaching out to solar companies and getting quotes on an 8 panel system, with HW inverter and Hybrid inverter but they are all coming in close to €7k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

SaaS is Solar as a Service. It's not really, as you actually own the kit after paying for it in installments of €30 per month for 10 years.

Doing a Google search for "Solar as a service" shows a 98fm link to the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Got 2 quotes

8x400 Watt Hyundai Panels, Huawai Inverter, Eddi,7500 Euro

and

7x410 Jinko Panels, SAJ R5 inverter, Eddi, 5300 Euro 

Well if you are in Leinster, you'd save a few grand going with the SaaS option. Even with the "cheap" SaaS route, you're possibly looking at a 10 year payback. So you can imagine the payback if you proceeded with those quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 12 trelkrub

Getting close to pulling the trigger on our e/w

Quote 1

4kw over 12 panels (ja)

Eddi

Hybrid invertor

No battery

No ber but they take grant

Quote 2

3.95kw over 10 panels (trina)

Eddi (extra)

Hybrid invertor

No battery

Ber included (think we do grant)

~7500

Quote 3

4.7kw over 12 panels (recom)

Eddie

Solis 5k 4g invertor

No ber and we do grant

Issue here is the reviews are almost too good to be true and it makes me nervous. Of the 3, they are the only one not listed here.

Any thoughts from folks up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Thanks for all the advice so far. Down to two quotes in or around the same price. Thoughts?

12 panels Solitek, 4.32kWp, 5.0kWh Ergocell battery, Ergocell inverter, Eddi, Zappi

14 panels Amerisolar, 5.32kWp, 4.8kWh Pylontech battery, Solis inverter, Eddi, Zappi

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No thoughts at all, whats-so-ever! (you didn't say how much :-) !

That said, more panels is (generally) better

Sorry, should've said what was in my head. Less about cost and more about whether one was better than the other in terms of manufacturers of components or configuration. Was thinking more panels would generally be better and everything else is probably swings and roundabouts unless someone said some particular battery or panel or inverter was very poor. Hoping that makes more sense. Probably at the point of overthinking it! Thanks again

Personally I don't like the Pylontech batteries with their pouch cells. But every chance the other is near enough in the same boat.

If the price is close then go with the company you feel more comfortable with. Its not all about the system but the backup has to be there.

Ask the first company to bring it up to 14 panels and then take it from there

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement