Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭islander222

Had a quote back the same day the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

which setups have a plug to cater for a power outage?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Cristobaal

Hi all, I`m also wondering about PV panels installation. I live in a housing estate in Galway. Currently I only got one quote but it looks quite expensive to me.

The guy who did the quotation mention that:

I have had a look at your property online and I feel 10 panels wouldn't be possible as the only space available is the front which sits South facing and because of the hipped part of the roof I think 7 panels would be the maximum we could install which would be 2.59kW of PV in total.

Price with the battery:

• 7 x 370W JA Solar PV Panels (2.59kW)
    • 1 x 3.6kW GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter
    • 1 x 2.6kWh GivEnergy Battery Storage
    • 1 x EDDI power Diverter Smart Immersion
    • Full Installation & Commissioning of System

=   €8,115.25 incl. VAT

Minus the grant worth €2,577 means you pay €5,538.25

Price without the battery:

• 7 x 370W JA Solar PV Panels (2.59kW)
    • 1 x 3kW Ginlong Solis 4G Inverter
    • 1 x EDDI power Diverter Smart Immersion
    • Full Installation & Commissioning of System

=   €6,526.25 incl. VAT

Minus the grant worth €1,800 means you pay €4,726.25

I wonder if I could install few more panels on the rear side of the roof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

On the north side? Pretty pointless unless you've a flatish roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Advertisement

No, it's not flat at all. I already figured out myself that there is no point to put any panels there 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Check the physical dimensions of the different output panels. You may be able to fit more if you go with the smaller panels and in that way increase the overall output capacity?

That's the first quote I have got. I sent 6-7 more today we will see if there is any size that would fit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

First quotation

12 peimar solar panels 365 W ( 4.38 kW ) 10,271 euro 30 year warranty

Solis Hybrid Inverter 5 kW 10 year warranty

Eddi Power Diverter 5 year warranty

Pylontech battery 4.8 kW 4,400 euro

Charge of 300 euro for replacement slates

Solar PV app 40 euro

Reduction of 1500 euro for certain marketing ( signage outside house for one month use of home as a case study on website... )

Not eligible for any grants.

I'd to send my details to different email address for the Enniskillen lads today.

Removed the company's name.

Apologies.

Post edited by seligehgit on

Well it looks like naming companies is ok then.

The lads I used will be in deleted.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's not as bad as you think Maulbrook (he's not eligible for a grant) so, if you were getting that €3k, then it's only €1k above the odds. That typically to me is "in the ballpark" for a decent quote to be fair. That said, charging €40 quotes for what app now? The inverters come with their own interface usually - but maybe there's something there I/we don't know.

It always strikes me as a little "penny-pinching" though when your itemizing things in the quote for €40 when your spending €10K......just throw it in for free lads. Geez!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Maybe thats normal price for Pylontech batteries? but I got 5.7kWh battery for half that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

They have a great website to be fair, I like the fact they have a detailed story for every county represented. Gives good examples of use cases and goals and size if install etc.

One of the quotes I got offered this 250 back thing as well. I would have to assume that extra is built in the price, so like a pyramid scheme if u can get a few friends to join up with them it starts to be a better price!

40 euro for the app is that one time or annual charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,155 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I am just presuming\hoping the €40 is for the Wi-Fi data logging dongle for the inverter and badly phrased on the quote.

Just to add the batter price of €4400 seems extremely expensive for 4.8KW.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The app is FREE to everyone. I know I'm being pedantic but someone is paying for the fantastic website. Lots of people have been suckered by flashy things 🤔

Its marketing bull ****, if this was from in delete we would be ripping this apart.

The battery is over by 2k the panels are at best €200 each but translate to over €10000.

Rant over

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

Nothing wrong with a good rant, but going back to the quote.

4.38Kwp in panels, 4.8Kwhr in battery, €300 for some tiles (we'll give them that), for €10,271 (ex-grant). If he was eligible for a grant, that quote would be €7,271. Leaving aside the fact that the battery as a line item is over priced (which I agree with you) are you saying that the overall quote is massively overpriced? Maybe by €1k or so, but not seeing any bullshit there, a little rich perhaps, but no hardcore gouging.

What am I missing?!

seligehgit - why do you think you are ineligible for any grant? (Just want to make sure that is in fact correct as the rules changed recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not even a grand high. Hitting the guidance directly would be €6.4k so €7.2 is perfectly reasonable. Don't forget there's an Eddi in that too which we usually allow about €500 for.

No harm in a bit of haggling too, maybe bring it down a bit more.

I missed the company name, or was it the Enniskillen folks that they named? It's been removed now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,155 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I am reading the quote as the batteries are an extra €4400 and initial setup minus them is €10,271. Again could be completely wrong that's just how I read it.

12 peimar solar panels 365 W ( 4.38 kW ) 10,271 euro 30 year warranty

Pylontech battery 4.8 kW 4,400 euro

• Advertisement

Ha - ok that makes more sense now as to why that should be in the "shitlist". Looks like I misread that quote......bin it/flush it. You'll easy beat that quote.

That said, the question about grant ineligibility should be verified. Might mean that you have €3000 coming to you to help that you didn't think so , although not to be spent with that supplier :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This is awful. Run a mile.

The battery price is ridiculous. You could buy the same yourself for less than 2.5k

Try to find out what app they are talking about. Interested to know that.

Re the grant eligibility I wasn't aware of any changes in the eligibility criteria.

House was built in 2010.

Connected to grid in 2011?

BER certificate has just expired.

It was B1.

Just to clarify the quote was just over 14K without the grant.

You guys have opened my eyes re the high cost.

I was shocked re the retail cost of the pylontech battery.Would they install it if you bought it yourself?Hardly likely.

Eager to get a quote back from the firm most recommended here.

I'll try to find out about the app.

Thanks guys.

Ah right, I get it now re the price.

Where are you based?

Worth a try then. I did hear that the Enniskillen folk were having to limit themselves to further north due to the backlog of work they had, plus they were charging the same rate to someone in Sligo as someone in Cork but if you're paying for diesel up and down plus food & accommodation for 3-4 lads on a 2 day job I'm sure it's hardly worth it.

I'd say Mayo would still make the cut though.

One thing that needs to be considered is that non grant jobs don't have the additional costs associated with the SEAI requirements. This can add up to €700, some times more.

They have removed the houses build before 2011 rule - it's now houses built before 2021. Additionally the BER assesment has been totally scrapped.

You can read yourself the full details here ... it came into effect from Dec 21st, but I don't know if the systems are allowing it at the moment. No idea as I haven't been through the process, but yeah, you should be good there mate. Also, someone else enquired and the €600 for the battery is unchanged (it's not mentioned in the website release, but it's unchanged)

gov.ie - Micro-generation (www.gov.ie)

but I guess the bits that interest you are......

• For domestic applicants, homes built pre-2021 are eligible
    • For domestic applicants, buildings will not have to meet a minimum BER (Building Energy Rating) standard, even after any new equipment is installed, to be included in the Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS).

Your welcome :-)

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement