Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License transfer from Canada

Options
  • 25-11-2021 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I earned my amateur radio operator certifiate in Canada back in the early 2000s and enjoyed the hobby for a few years. I moved to Ireland over 12 years ago but lost touch with the hobby. I have time to restart again but am wondering if I can just transfer my license from Canada. Or do I have to do the exams all over again?

Comments

Hi Amik

If your licence is a CEPT license recognised in some countries then you would simply need to apply for EI license, I don't think the Canadian Ham License is part of CEPT so if that's the case you would need to sit the exams and get an EI license.

Here's some information below and everything you need to study for the EI license is available on this site also.

I got my license in 2019 and absolutely love the Hobby, I'm particularly keen on making DX contacts with more modest setups, with a Chameleon MPAS 2.0 I have made contacts to North, Central, South America, Europe and even got to Australia a couple of times with this antenna and 100w on 20m in the Summer evenings and even got to US on 40m. Never intended using this antenna at home so much but because it works so well I decided to wire it up to the sitting room and use it there when I don't want to go to the shack but I think I might get a Hustler 6 BTV in the Spring which should work a lot better on 40m and make it a more permanent installation.

Anyway definitely get the EI license and get back to the wonderful hobby of Shortwave radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Love your enthusiasm Mad_Lad! People like you is what I've missed about Amateur Radio. I have more time for myself now so can take it back up.

Your CEPT suggestion looks promising. I found this:

Studying for and writing an exam would be a bit time consuming. I'd love to just get back on air.

Looks like you'd need to renew every year ? Suppose you could get the CEPT and just study for EI license after ?

Yeah definitely great hobby, wish I had more time for it but glad to be able to get on the air when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Comreg got back to me today and they can't just exchange the license. I'll need to sit the Irish exam. I'll start studying after Christmas.

Not a bad idea to get that CEPT in the meantime. Being on the air would give me motivation to pass the exam. :)

Yes, will be worth it for sure! ☺️

Have you got space for decent antenna ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement