Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda question

Options
  • 25-11-2021 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys, My 8yo guy is looking for a Switch with a Zelda game. I'm a little confused by all the different Zelda games on offer. Is there one in particular that you would recommend over the others? Breadth of the Wild seems to have the most reviews, but that may be due to the fact it's the oldest of them.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Breath of the Wild is the latest game in the main Legend of Zelda series with a sequel coming out in the next year or two. The other games are either remakes or ports of older games which is why they have more recent release dates. If he's big into his games and has no issues playing more complicated stuff it's a great game that has a lot of depth although with this depth comes complexity which may put him off, especially if he prefers a game with a solid narrative. If he's big into sandbox style games like Minecraft then it shouldn't be a problem and he should get a lot of hours of entertainment out of it. Otherwise a good intro to the series for him might be Link's Awakening. It's a much simpler game which is a remastered version of the old game boy game of the same name. Still a great game and a historic title for the series but the controls are much simpler and the game a bit more linear.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Thanks a million for your response.... I really appreciate it. Thays very helpful.

He's no issues with more complicated games and is a big fan of Minecraft, so I think I'll go with the Breadth of the Wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, breath of the wild by a million miles. If you get blocked you can try other things and go in a different direction. Great game design in this regard. I also recommend you play it too. It's a wonder.

Links awakening has some obscure puzzles in it where you just get blocked ... and is an over priced version of an ancient game. People like it for nostalgia reasons I think. ... Runs for cover and hides.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Sounds great.... Thanks a mill. I might have to give it a go myself!

one of the best games ever made really.

the first 30 hours are magical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

BOTW all day long. It's one of, if not the greatest game ever made.

I'd recommend the Link's Awakening remake as well, if it wasn't so way overpriced. BOTW completely dwarves it in every single way possible. If you have a means, I'd introduce him to the original Gameboy version. It would be a great way to start of, or A Link to the Past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

BOTW. It's always the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I've played GTA5, RDR2, Skyrim, AC Odyssey in 4k, even 60 FPS, on Xbox Series X this past COVID year(s) since BOTW. All good in certain areas.

They don't come close to BOTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I didn't see it mentioned, but Age of Calamity is actually very enjoyable, primarily as a companion after completing Breath of the Wild. It lessens the Musou elements of the game, but the story is actually very, very good (though it's not truly a prequel in the true meaning of the word).

If whomever loves BotW, AoC is a good game to get after.

Advertisement