Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Gas / Electricity

• 25-11-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got a call today from Bord Gas, as my contract was due to run out.

Offer of 13% discount on new 12 month contract.

I said I'd get back to them, as I was not out of contract for about 2 weeks and I had something else to do.

Salesman then produced an other offer of 20% off on a 12 month contract ?

Asked the reason for the difference,

20% discount was their Green Option.....

Something about wind farms !!!!!!.

Anybody had any similar experience .......

Mods : Please relocate if need to, Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Yeah, I’d a similar experience earlier this year but still got a better deal moving. I’ve a smart meter tariff now so not sure if that impacted it.

as a general rule I tell all utilities providers I’m cancelling as soon as I’m out of contract and always get a retention discount. They’re never as good as a new customer deal but the hassle moving broadband/tv isn’t worth it. Always make a bigger saving on gas and electricity though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

After the discounts what is the unit rate you will be paying and the Standing charge, they can be offering % + % …. but the above is what it boils down to !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Me too. However best way to find out what's best for you is go onto bonkers.ie & plug in your usage numbers. They'll give you the current best offer in the marketplace.

The offers change almost every week especially the way energy prices are changing - and in my experience your incumbent supplier will never be able to match the 'new customer' offer of the competition.

In summary - everyone should be switching gas & electricity every 12 months - unless you want to give money away for free to these energy companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

Check the standing charges linked to each percentage offer - in the main, the larger the unit price discount, the higher the standing charge.

Your savings will depend on your usage

Advertisement