Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes and Thyroid issues - Depression and Anxiety symptoms

• 25-11-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi All,

I suffer from depression and anxiety for years. I do take anti depressants but I don't think they are doing much. But without them Id be in pieces. I do have an underactive thyroid that makes you feel fatigued, anxious, depressed etc so that may be a contributor too. I'm seeing a consultant Monday about it. But with the past 2 years I have not worked. I'm constantly tired and depressed and so I don't get up most days until 1pm. I'm sleeping my life away and it scares me. I want so much to be out and about doing things but the thought of it just makes me feel so tired. I don't know if its a combination from my depression or from my underactive thyroid. I'm hoping my consultant gives me hormones or something to give me energy and get my body back on track. But would anyone agree with me that your hormones, if they are all out of sync and your not producing enough, would this make you depressed and anxious and just no motivation? I read that it can but in my case, I don't know if its the depression or thyroid.

My family are so mad with me too, calling me lazy as I'm not working and sleep until 1pm. They are actually livid with me. My sister wont talk to me as I've not worked the past 2 years. Sometimes my parents cant even look at me as they are so annoyed with me. They don't understand that an underactive thyroid is such a thing and it makes you fatigued all the time. Maybe they don't want to understand it as its easier to call me lazy. Yet they do understand I have diabetes. Diabetes and thyroid issues usually go hand in hand as its all related to a dysfunction in the endocrine system. The reason why I'm not working is that I was so tired all the time. I could sleep all day long and the brain fog is just horrible at times. I just want to get my life back on track, to have some motivation and some energy and to feel actually happy in my life. Plus I've put on weight recently which is making me hide away even more. I tried to lose it but chocolate is my weakness. With an underactive thyroid, it slows down your metabolism too though. I keep saying to myself, after the consultant things will be better as he will sort out my thyroid issues and I really hope he will. Anyone relate??? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks XOXO

Advertisement