Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

At least most randomers on boards don't have financial ties to the big pharma industry so maybe you'd be better off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Well a couple of posters do work in Boots. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

One more time. Another day passes. We have said those from xyz countries will need tests. Super. What about the people that had already travelled in here from southern Africa!? Most of them will have sense to isolate for 10 days you assume. But for most... Unless told otherwise it's business as usual, and nothing has been said. So don't tell me we've done our best. That was a very simple action we could have taken to help reduce the spread of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

It's most likely already here. No one noticed or cared until SA discovered it and the media machine was cranked up.

Business as usual is the right course of action, this is all very obviously bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It surprisingly can be, pairing the hoof done till the source of infection is met etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

It’s a horrible job but hardly rocket science, I’ve done it many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How do we know that for sure when all posters are anonymous? Sure you yourself could be a member of one of the pharma companies that hasnt gotten a vaccine or treatment out yet or some other vested interest and that's the reason behind your contrarian posting style. Why else would your profile on here be private ehh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

From what we know so far omicron is a storm in a teacup. Rejoice, no end of the world as we know it is coming. It will be used to push through few additional restrictions and some lockdowns* though.

*mainly in the countries which experience some protests currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Couldn't give a shite if I get it. I just know as it spreads it's going to be an excuse to close everything here. Which is a bigger disaster. It just annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This sort of POV is very unhealthy for discourse and an attitude that avoids putting any sort of accountability on government is pretty unhelpful to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was just reading an article about the doctor who first noticed a change in symptons compared with Delta variant.

They included young people of different backgrounds and ethnicities with intense fatigue and a six-year-old child with a very high pulse rate, she said. None suffered from a loss of taste or smell.

They are mostly the same symptoms I had when I got covid months ago...

My covid experience went like this:

• I caught covid outdoors somehow. It was the only possible place I could have got it. Initially, I didn't believe I had the possibility of having covid as I was outdoors all the time and thought there was no way I could have got it. I now think I must have got it from a glass a waiter gave me or something similar.

I'm going to call the day I am pretty sure I caught covid as X

• After X+3 days, I started feeling tired. I was still working my office job.
    • From X+4 to X+6 I was extremely fatigued and lost all my appetite. I did go to McDonalds and get a wrap/ice cream though but wasn't really hungry. I didn't lose my taste at this stage. After somehow getting through work from home (sometimes I finished early and just lay on my bed) I would literally just sit on the chair all evening. I just had no energy. It was the height of the heatwave too so not sure if I had a fever but I felt very hot. I felt so hot I sat in the car with AC on.
    • On X+6 I went to a friends house as it was pre agreed. I sat beside them and finished with a handshake.
    • X+7 and X+8 I had to do some manual work outside. I somehow did it but I thought I was going to collapse I had so little energy. I don't remember my taste being gone when eating dinner or anything but I do remember after this manual work completely devouring a slushie that seemed to have no taste.
    • X+9 and X+10 I started feeling terrible and started getting the sweats and chills/sweats. I now had more symptons such as headache, cough. X+10 I went for a covid test.
    • X+10, at night my heart rate got extremely high. I was having sweats and I was struggling with my breathing. I really had to focus on my breathing and felt like I was short of breath. This happened for about 5 hours straight.
    • X+11 I woke up very early again with a struggle to breathe and extremely high heart rate. This went on for another 6 or 7 hours. I was googling on my phone "is shortness of breath a symptom of covid" and all I was getting was results of covid recovery. I searched when should you seek medical attention and it said if your breathing is affected to get it so I got it. By the time I got checked out my breathing and heartrate had returned to normal. Later that evening it started again and continued all night. I didn't sleep and time moved so slow. This is the day I got my test returned as covid positive.
    • X+12 as my extremely high heart rate and breathing struggles continued. It was horrible. It was like torture. Having to focus so much on breathing and gasp for air every so often. My mouth was so dry, I had to take a drop of water every few seconds and swallow which eventually inflamed my throat. I could not get comfortable. I was thinking there must be something the medics can help me with. I went to the hospital again. My blood oxygen levels were ok and heart was ok. They said there was inflammation on my lungs but that's expected.
    • X+13 it was the worst day. Again no sleep overnight, heartrate still extremely high. I thought my heart would pack it in and I'd get a heart attack. Breathing troubles still there. I was so uncomfortable. Every breath at this stage felt like breathing fire. I thought something was very wrong. I thought at that stage about what if I died. I again went to hospital. They checked me out and again, blood oxygen etc was fine.
    • That night my breathing started to return to normal again. The worst was over.
    • From X+14 my fever started to go down. I was checking it often and could see it go down quickly.
    • From X+14 to X+16/17 I was still extremely fatigued. I wasn't able to sleep. I tried, but all I could do was lie down.
    • From then on I was pretty much ok. I did do a small bit of manual work and got sweaty and out of breath quickly but after about a week I was back to normal.

Definitely wasn't mild for me! But the symptoms do seem to line up with what Omicron symptoms are. I wonder is there any way they could test my sample? Do they keep them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How long after your second vaccine was this? Sounds similar to me except that I got it before i got the vaccine. tbh ive had far worse flus (twice in my life ive had the flu).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

A quote straight out of the early 2020 impending apocalypse playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Why post the same bullsh1the on two threads at the same time?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Boris is holding another press conference today in the UK - what’s going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Expected to be a rallying cry to take up the booster when offered to you after yesterdays JCVI decision. Along with discussing the measures they brought in today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Well I guess we disagree then. I believe in constructive criticism. For me that means that if you criticize something or someone, your input is only valid if you offer a better alternative or solution that stands up to the same level of criticism. Otherwise you are not helping. Similarly offering criticism retrospectively using knowledge that has been learned since the time of the incidence being criticized is of no value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Munster squad has 9 positive tests, i am all for hearing that they are very mild or asymptomatic but the hit rate of positive tests is a bit bothersome. Same with the Portuguese team.

Past few months we've only see a couple of +ve tests at a time in team situations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭amandstu

That increased transmissability does seem very interesting.Let us fervently hope that the cases turn out to be less severe than Delta across all categories of the population ...otherwise this might be rather grim.

On the other hand if lesser severity is maintained might this be the silver bullet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I know early information is mild symptoms but the more transmissible it is, can't it mutate again and mutate into something more dangerous as well? That's the worry in all this.

How did they get it? Is it Omicron?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Not looking good at all. It looks way more infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Seeing how cases were steadily rising in europe for the last few weeks one can easily spot that omicron was here for a few weeks already. And then you do have Dutch who threw a wrench in all SA blaming and calls for grounding air travel. According to them they identified it far sooner than SA they just did not reported it. Probably because they had no clue what they see at that time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cookie224

Just announced that from Friday everyone needs a negative test to come back into ireland, so glad I cancelled my trip last minute now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What about testing on arrival as well? And self-isolation as well?

I'm just thinking about the people on those flights to Amsterdam a few days ago, didn't they all have to get tested before flying? And then they test positive on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

That's seriously depressing.

How more infectious can it get? Is there a ceiling of some kind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

that a travel lockdown over reaction when fully vaxed, binning the cert

Advertisement