Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bereavement and Christmas?

Options
  • 26-11-2021 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭

My Mum passed away a few mths ago and I don't feel v xmassy at all.. like, I'll go to Mass, have xmas dinner (no crackers) and watch movies.. etc.. but I don't feel like sending cards/presents etc.. no tree/decorations.. lots of candles.. Is that ok? whats the norm for Christmas when your grieving? PS I don't deprive others of a nice xmas.. I just don't feel v xmassy..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

100% ok and a very dignified way of thinking about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

its just how I feel.. lots of tea and hymns (and I am not even that religious but Mum was in the choir)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

People will understand.

Those who have felt the same after a bereavement will understand even more.

Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Well, it is a tradition in Ireland for a bereaved family not to send Christmas cards the first year. You may find that some people don't send cards either.

Do whatever you're comfortable with, and take care

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know how you feel.

We lost dad in November and, well, I don't know how it is supposed to be, this Christmas.

I know I have been enjoying the typical tooing and froing of the season, but there's an underlying sadness to everything, sometimes subtle, sometimes acute.

I imagine it's like a painting, but the canvas this year is tinted.

I miss him and I've found that sharing stories about him, the happy and sad, ease the pain quite a bit, especially when you can recount a tale that makes people laugh, it makes it okay to find joy even in this time when there's a ragged hole in you that you think won't ever heal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement