Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fenian gun, apologies if posted before

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kunekunesika

New to me.

Love the exposed belts, no glasses and ties , just for added ways to get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The Govt needs to get that proof house re opened,as there is now an EU requirement for such.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

The Gun Shop did a quick video on the Fenian a while back ..https://youtu.be/pg8CYPFLM80

The infamous Oliver J Flanagan made some fairly serious allegations about this company in the Dail. It ceased trading in 1970 I think.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/1973-11-21/31/

Anyone shed any light on this, was it just OJF stirring?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

would love to see a "Hands" version of it.. Also, wonder where all that equipment went?

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see how that ol antisemite came up with this statement alright. Irishman who has lived abroad for many years returns home to make guns= British agent!... There is some conclusion jumping there, or some interesting back story.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Had a nosey on the Irish Newspaper Archives, it seems there is some whiff off the story alright.

Kavanagh was a gunsmith in Cheltenham, then came over in 1968 to set up the factory. One article quoted a former employee saying he recalled selling just a single gun in his time there. Another suspected Kavanagh of gunrunning to the North.

Ian Paisley was involved in a court case in Cornwall with Kavanagh where several odd allegations were thrown about; a cattle dehorner invented by Kavanagh that could double as a terrorist weapon, and a potential order for 15,000 of same!

It is easy to see how stories could develop around all of this, and there may even be something in what Flanagan said.

I must admit, though I have read an awful lot about the Troubles, I never came across this story before. Maybe it has been written about, will do a bit more rooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

from the Dail record

"Regarding Deputy Flanagan's supplementary, I have no information as to the Fenian gunrunning club."

a slip of the tongue?

It appears Mr Kavanagh claimed to be a British agent himself, although a judge in the Cornwall case described him as a bit of a Walter Mitty character.

The Sunday Press, 18 November 1973 apparently has a piece/interview with him, but it is only accessible through the National Library as far as I can see.

I'd say there would be a good book in this story for a half decent journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kunekunesika

Anyone got one of these? Or even seen one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

I’ve seen one in the late Pat O’Briens premises in Bray. Ghastly looking thing in the flesh. But with my penchant for small caliber side by sides I would regard it as an invention of the Devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

May I say sir you sound just like a gentle man with a “penchant” for small bore side by side. Someone as yourself would hardly have anything so “ghastly” as this Fenian Gun, or I might speculate anything so uncouth as a synthetic semi-automatic in your cabinet? 😆

Great stories though, thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

It looks like a fiddly, heavy donkey of a yoke. Don't like the idea of the barrels sliding forward either, what happens if the catch for locking the gun shut fails while firing...… a 'ghastly' abomination...

Its apparent design fault is that both the locking lug recesses and the guide rails weren't hardened properly so it starts to gap and the locking lugs start going out of shape.Maybe that was the idea for the adjustable firing pins? Certainly hasn't got the lines of a French Darne sliding breech SXS,or the Breton pull apart OU.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

I will confess to having owned a Browning B1, double trigger for a few years. Perish the very thought of a synthetic stocked semiautomatic in my gun room.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Is pat Obrine's still open for business or was this before he passed.. Its a shame he gone. When did he pass..

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bmmb88

@ Zxthinger.

He died 5/6 weeks ago. As far as I know business is gone. He was a very nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

My Grandfather worked in that proofing house in the 60s. Ill ask my father about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Ya my Grandfather worked there and used to go shooting with Kavanagh. He said the guns were extremely tough and could fire anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement