Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumped motorcycle

Options
  • 27-11-2021 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I just tried to jump my bike from a car, it was a last resort. Big spark and now bike and dashboard console all totally dead. Is my bike dead? Vstrom 1000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Sounds like the ECU might have been damaged. Was the car engine running ? We’re the battery terminals connected correctly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

You may have just blown a fuse so check them first, but yep, the ecu may be goosed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can jump start your bike from a car no problems at all. But you may have done something wrong there's method to connect and disconnect. I've jumped my DL650 numerous times from car.

Your first thing to do should be replace the battery and then see where you are at. New console can be bought from ebay handy enough no need to fret just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

OK, connected fine so all good there. His car was off, he started his and saw a few sparks. I then tried mine and nothing.

Would just charging the battery first be OK, then connecting back and trying? I think I'll get a replacement battery anyway.

• Advertisement

He started his while still connected to the bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Start with battery if it's dying in cold weather it's most likely on its knees anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

Cold weather wrecks batteries, unfortunatly learnt that last year when I stayed at my parents house up north.

you possibly blew a main fuse going from the battery to the rest of the bike. I'd swap that over and see if you have anyluck. but its job is to prtect the rest of the bike from a power surge.

Thanks, so the main fuse, is that unlike the main small little fuses? Not well up on bike tech so forgive me.

I would imagine its the 25amp on the top left hand side. The one on your top right is the Diode set up,probally for your indicators.

One option is pull each one individually visually checking for damage / burn marks and replacing them before checking the next.

• Advertisement

I found the main fuse section, it has x 2 30amp fuses, one was blown. Heading to Halfords in the morning to get some replacements. Bought a new battery in cityspares as I needed one anyway.

Will update tomorrow, hopefully its just that fuse.

All other fuses in the box were fine.

Thanks for all who offered input.

Hopefully thats it!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Sounds like good news. I hope all your issues are solved. I’ve been told by a BMW Tech that if you need a jumpstart and are using a car then the car should be turned off before you connect both terminals .

That's the thing though, his car (212 skoda fabia) was off though I.e not running, but when the terminals were connected it sounded like the car was on, but no engine running, like you'd have ignition for lights and radio etc on a stop/start engine if that makes sense. As I could here something from his engine but not like a running one. I guess the current was still there and I could of grounded it.

I thought it was fine but then the sparks came and bike was dead 🤔

I checked over ever fuse I could find and only found the burnt-out 30amp so will know more by 12pm today.

UPDATE!

To give yesterday a bit more context, the battery was flat at home before I left and jumped it off the car with a cheap pair of leads, flimsy crap pair. Worked perfect and no sparks.

Off I went, down N4, I noticed that the dash reverted back to mph (uk bike). I pulled into lucan maxol, filled up and then started playing with the instrument panel to set back to Kmh.

Within that time of the ignition (2mins) on the battery went back to 10.2 volts. Not enough to turn over.

I had to buy another set of leads in maxol but were really heavy duty ones.

Jumped the bike from the car but guessing now that the new leads carried way more volts or current and f€£ked the bike (blew the fuse)

Had to pay for recovery as insurance were not picking up, new jump leads, new battery and fuses = €200 for a little 8 mile spin. Expensive day that I had not counted on.

Anyway all good now so bike is running and all works.

Thanks for all the tips and posts regarding this guys! 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You needed the battery and leads anyway,

I did, what I really didn't need was the pack of smokes I ended up buying due to being so pissed off, was off them 3 months and resorted to buying some to deal with the sh/te of it all 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Throw the pack of cigs away or give them away - otherwise you'll put your hand in your pocket, find them and go 'Ah fuppit, I'll have another one" and before you know it you're back on the merry-go-round.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think this is about taking the glass half full approach. :)

When I replaced all the fuses that were blown when I originally jumped the bike I've now noticed both bulbs hi and lo do not work, checked fuses for the correct ones and both were fine, replaced the bulbs but still no joy.

Everything else works as it should except for lights (hi beam and low beam)

What's the next step in finding where the fault is. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Probably a good idea to check the switches next.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement